Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CuteCornDog

Parents

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone else have hard feelings towards their parents?

I really do.

I feel like I could be further in life right now if it weren't for them.

It's difficult for me to get a job because of the way they raised me.

Messed up thoughts in my head.

Favoring the problem child too.

Difficult for me to let go of the past because of them, and to find a safe job.

Mother is worse than father.

Brother is also older than me.

Hey, I recently re-read my diary of 3 years ago, and I was surprised that there was a time where I even thought that my (mediocre) performance in college was a result of my genetics i.e. something I had inherited from my parents!! Also I attributed it to the way they had educated me... Now that seems like a joke to me.

You definitely need to watch this:

Edited by Mondsee

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

- Herman Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel

Hi friend! I go through something similar ... I realize in the creation they gave me, some of the things that today I find difficult to overcome. And one of those things is even the bad feelings, and the confusion I have about these people, which end up influencing not only my relationship, but all the rest I want out of my life.
I've been thinking of finding a way to isolate myself from my family in recent times.
But today it seems to me that it is no longer their fault as I am aware of it, and I can observe all these bad symptoms.
In fact, I have thought about today that they are the most important challenge that I have to go through, where much of what I can consider low conscience attitudes presents itself. Every time I contact them, I am open to receiving the worst of myself. This is incredible when understood in a didactic way. But it's tiring too, so I leave home for about 3 hours a day, to sit on a field near here, where I am alone "reloading". This helps me deeply. It may be that trying a few hours of isolation helps you. I may be wrong, but it's a try.
One thing I think is hard to be wrong - but I can be too -: there is a lot of juice to get out of there!

Good luck! Hugs!

@CuteCornDog It helps to see their challenge as meaning you can get further in life BECAUSE of them 

Be confident in your ability to rise above the ashes and you will soon find yourself wanting to send them a genuine thank you note :D 

@CuteCornDog Oh yeah!  I used to bitch at my parents for not being wealthy when I was in my teens & even my early 20s!  However, it's because of how they were that I've surpassed everyone in the family monetarily-speaking.  My late Uncle once called me "The Bank"...lol.   I really learned a lot from having lived an impoverished childhood....but it also has its own set of issues, once I realize that everything I did, was done out of fear.  Fear of being like my parents, co-workers, or all of those other people out there scraping to get by.  "I'll show them how it's done."  although it wasn't breakneck speed or anything....being fearful keeps you from taking many risks.  I could've been richer when I look at my past fear-based decisions. ^_^