Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
onacloudynight

Has Anyone Entered The Jhanas?

13 posts in this topic

Was wondering if anyone on this forum has stumbled upon them. I have been meditating for 2 years and am aiming for the first jhana.

16 hours ago, onacloudynight said:

Was wondering if anyone on this forum has stumbled upon them. I have been meditating for 2 years and am aiming for the first jhana.

Samatha or Vipassana jhanas? 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

2 minutes ago, onacloudynight said:

Samatha

Two years! However I look at this, it's too long. People usually enter Samatha states in several weeks of concentration, not years! If you're aiming for samatha jhanas you might want to consider doing a concentration practice instead of meditating, because they will save you a lot of time. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@onacloudynight @How to be wise Yes concentration meditation is the best way to access the Samatha jhanas. However i've been practising concentration exclusively for a few months now and have yet to reach access concentration. Maybe some people are naturally gifted at concentrating but I would certainly say it takes longer than a few weeks, unless you're on jhana retreat of course.

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

22 minutes ago, Space said:

@onacloudynight @How to be wise Yes concentration meditation is the best way to access the Samatha jhanas. However i've been practising concentration exclusively for a few months now and have yet to reach access concentration. Maybe some people are naturally gifted at concentrating but I would certainly say it takes longer than a few weeks, unless you're on jhana retreat of course.

I reached access concentration in less than a month, and from scratch. 

How long do you concentrate every day?

How many times do you concentrate every day? 

29 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

I reached access concentration in less than a month, and from scratch. 

How long do you concentrate every day?

How many times do you concentrate every day? 

Nice one! Usually 2 hours a day in four 30 minute blocks. Concentrating on the sensations of the breath at the nose. For the most part I count the breaths until concentration breaks.

I would class access concentration as being fully absorbed with the breath and that next to no effort is required to hold concentration. Thoughts arise but don't have any effect on the concentration. I've had this state twice, but not recently. Any advice?

1 hour ago, Space said:

Nice one! Usually 2 hours a day in four 30 minute blocks. Concentrating on the sensations of the breath at the nose. For the most part I count the breaths until concentration breaks.

I would class access concentration as being fully absorbed with the breath and that next to no effort is required to hold concentration. Thoughts arise but don't have any effect on the concentration. I've had this state twice, but not recently. Any advice?

Are you concentrating on the breath for 30 minutes without any wavering?

If you aren't, you have to choose a different time length where you don't get distracted from the object at all, not even for one second!

Other than that, if you still don't get to access concentration in a month, you're probably doing something wrong.

5 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

Are you concentrating on the breath for 30 minutes without any wavering?

If you aren't, you have to choose a different time length where you don't get distracted from the object at all, not even for one second!

Other than that, if you still don't get to access concentration in a month, you're probably doing something wrong.

No there's always some mind wandering. But i'd say i'm concentrated around 85% of the time in a 30 minute sitting.

Not really sure what I could be doing wrong. I guess i'll just keep working on it. Appreciate the advice.

I think I've accidentally gotten the first one several times.  I can't do it on command though.  

I wonder if a 5-meo-dmt breakthrough is equivalent to the 5th/6th jhanas, the "infinity of space" and the "infinity of consciousness".  

11 hours ago, Real Eyes said:

I wonder if a 5-meo-dmt breakthrough is equivalent to the 5th/6th jhanas, the "infinity of space" and the "infinity of consciousness".  

No. Concentration and insight practices are two completely different things.

Psychedelics give you a peak experience in insight practices, but are worth nothing when it comes to concentration.