Psyche_92

First Time Gym In 2 Years, Already Hate It.

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

i just came home from the gym, and i have to say it wasn't as easy to complete the session as i thought.
i know it's normal to have a hard time after so long, but it was more of a bad mental state i got, as i started my workout. I started to feel like shit, and thoughts of why i started doing this again, how i'm probably going to give up,... all sorts of these thoughts start to pop up and they kind of took over. It's not the first time that this happens, and i know it's my subconscious mind being a pussy, but i can't seem to get past it.

On a conscious level:

-i feel that i owe it to life, that i take care of my body by working out and eating healthy.
-i also know that when i would keep working out my confidence would rise, which would help some with my social anxiety
-i also know that when i would keep working out, my discipline would rise which gets me into a loop of getting things done that need to be done ( to have a good life )

On a subconscious level:

-i feel lazy and just don't want to do anything
-i feeling like i'm wasting my time in the gym and that i want to be home as soon as possible.
-i rather sit on my pc

Not only do i have this while going to the gym, but mostly it's holding me back from literally living my life the way i see and want it on a conscious level.
In the past i wasn't aware of this, but now i am due self-improvement, and i want to get past it since this is what holds me back from living my life.

What can i do?

Greets,

Psyche_92

@Psyche_92 yes that's normal. 

It's easier when you start seeing the results the keep motivated. 

I have been in the gym consistently for 3 months and I got the following results:

Muscle growth

Increased conditioning 

Improved sleep

Better mood

The last month the effects have started to get more serious. The biggest effect that I had not totally anticipated is my improved sleep. Because it changes everything. My mood, my consentration, my energy.

Give it some time Next don't go all out in the beginning every single time. You need to give your body some time to adjust. 

@Psyche_92 Stop whining, ask yourself the following: Who am I going to the gym for myself or the hundreds of others there? Am I going to allow a figment of others imaginations control me? Do I want the few minutes of pleasure from siting on the computer or the higher value fulfillment I will get from going to the gym  knowing that I had the willpower to come here today and get on the road to greatness to create the body I want?

I hope that's enough but If that's not enough. Then talk to Arnold 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoXYe9e01_Y

"It is YOU that must change for all else to change." - Me.

You have to become aware that your Ego wants to hold you back. It doesn't want to get fit, it wants to be a lazy twat and do nothing. It only wants to get you down. And so it creates these negative thoughts. It wants to consume you. And you buy into it. 

10 hours ago, Psyche_92 said:

-i feel lazy and just don't want to do anything
-i feeling like i'm wasting my time in the gym and that i want to be home as soon as possible.
-i rather sit on my pc

F*CK these thoughts man! They are not real. Illusions. Don't assign meaning to them. Focus on the actual workout and lifting rather than fake mental magic spells. 

Peace!

The art is to look without looking 

take it easy 

the greatest trap is to overtrain. 

just keep going, and you will naturally like it. 

@Psyche_92 if I understand you well.. you want to go to the gym to improve your fitness and feel good..?

Why do you try to force yourself with the gym..?

I think the most important is to move your body and there are so many ways to do so!! Dance with your favorite music, go jogging or swimming, learn how to practice martial arts, or try it with a team Sport.. what ever..

You'll surely find something that is good for you.. Just move :)

My advice for you is simple.

I was in the same situation as you and what I did was I dropped pc, phone and all other technology things that drain your energy. Technology is addictive just like heroin. And if you managed to drop it and socialize more, your productivity levels will sky rocket. 

Edited by cosmicrays

I see this a lot with people that are getting back into it. It happens to me too.

Firstly
      Give it some time! Keep on keepin' on!

Secondly

Remember that negative thoughts will breed more negative thoughts, which breed negative emotions and negative behavior. It's not easy to tell your mind to quit with the negative bullshit... but I think with some more time those thoughts will go away. Embrace that feeling of accomplishment once the workout is done! Maybe get a gym buddy! It's nice to have a friend hold you accountable and vice versa. I always go harder when I have a friend with me pushing me.

Thirdly

Get into some cardio that you really enjoy doing! And not just running/jogging (unless you really enjoy it) I love to skateboard and I love punching my punching bag. That shit will get some endorphins and adrenaline pumping and will make you feel and think better. I love taking my aggression out on my punching bag, or better yet, sparring with a friend.  

I have no doubt that once you find that physical activity that you love to do, you will choose it over sitting at home every time

"it's all about love... making some else's existence just a little easier. Nothing else matters, I know this now."

-Terence McKenna
Last Words Interview