Seeker_of_truth

What Are Your Opinions On Mbti

9 posts in this topic

What are your opinions on MBTI ? How do you use it for self improvement (if it could be used) ? 

Just do some research on it in YouTube 

Edited by How to be wise

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

I think it's pretty accurate. 

Only thing is that while you take the test yourself, you will always have some blindspots towards your personality, so that can influence the results.  

You can let someone else that you thrust take the test for you as well, and compare the results. 

Edited by SFRL

@How to be wise @SFRL Hey I already took the test. I know my personality - INTJ. I've read a lot about MBTI. I just want to know how "you" guys use it for personal development...

Edited by Seeker_of_truth

From what I have heard, most professional psychologists view the mbti as outdated pseudoscience. The Big 5 theory of personality is considered more accurate.

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

@Seeker_of_truth

Like any model it's limited. Because any model is rigid. Which is good because it gives some structure. And that that makes it a good reference point from where to start your investigation. 

So study the model. Internalize it. (That's the part where you hold on to it). And then let it go. Realizing that any model is limited because of it's rigidity. 

It has been one of the most life changing things I've ever learned.

It does not predict 100% who you are but it does give an amazing guideline on what is likely who you are. 

One thing to get into for Mbti in personal development is developing your functions. Mbti says there are introverts or extroverts, intuitives or sensors, thinking or feeling and perceiving or judgement. Developing your functions often means that if you're a sensor, you can develop your intuitive function. If you're a feeler, you can develop your thinking function. And so on.

What developing each function means for each person :

Introverted functions : These functions help you reflect on your inner decisions and information — especially beneficial for extroverts who head into action and get "busy" without taking time to ponder. It allows more depth in life.

Extroverted functions : These functions help someone get into the world more, getting exposed and offering something to other people's motivations and information to give — especially beneficial for introverts who stay too closeminded or attached into their own ways without listening to other's ideas and decisions. It allows a more expansive view in life.

Intuitive functions : These functions help guide a person to analyze the big picture in their life and the world. It helps them to create a strategy, a vision or brainstorm ideas to change themselves and others.

Sensing functions : These functions help a person to carry out what they want step by step and add practicality in life. It allows them an understanding of detail and the real world to adapt to it.

Thinking functions : These functions help a person remain objective and logical in their decisions. Either through organizing their tasks to carry them out efficiently or organizing information for it to be accurate. 

Feeling functions : These functions help a person in their relationships to others — in being more kind and considerate. It aids their understanding of their own emotions and to allow acceptance for them.

Perceiving functions : These functions help you collect information — whether it's from your own world of ideas or memories — or the outside world of ideas and sensory details. 

Judging functions : These functions guide decisions. It organizes their inner minds or their outer environment to reach their goals. 

How to do it :

When studying Mbti, don't use the dichotomies on this. Search for understanding of Mbti cognitive functions. Everyone has a function for each dichotomy like how every sensor has  an intuitive  function or how every thinker has a feeling function.

Good sites to use include :

Personality Junkie — for a brilliant theoretical understanding of this all.

Personality Hacker — for a brilliant practical understanding of this all.

Other things :

Search Mbti cognitive functions test. It's different from the usual dichotomy test and for many practioners — much much more accurate. This is because it doesn't predict your behavior or even beliefs — if analyzes the structure of what information you like to gain and how you prefer to decide things. More like a skeleton — and the muscles and skin is provided by culture, environment, background and experience.

Another thing after finding your type is to search your type along with the keywords of developing functions, advice or personal development. Reddit, for example, has a lot of threads on life advice for their own type.

I suggest you check out enneagram after Mbti — a typology based on motivations and how you deal with anger, fear and shame. You have a type for each of the three emotions listed that guide your motivations in life. Enneagram's goals is to use those emotions in a healthy manner to gain what you desire most in life. There is also a book called Personality Types by Riso Hudson, that explores each motivation and how a person is like at 9  levels of mental health in each motivation. His book The Wisdom of the Enneagram is a more practical material on how to climb the levels.

Edited by WaterfallMachine

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates

I think it's pretty accurate. 

Only thing is that while you take the test yourself, you will always have some blindspots towards your personality, so that can influence the results.  

Pretty much this.

It's basically The Big Five minus the Neuroticism scale.

How do you use it for self improvement (if it could be used) ? 

Develop your tertiary and inferior functions.

E.g. I'm an INTJ, so I work a lot on my Se inferior.  

Edited by Haumea