How to be wise

How Do I Develop Curiosity To Find My True Self

13 posts in this topic

So according to various enlightenment teachers, developing a curiosity to find your true self is very important. However, even as I'm doing self inquiry, I'm not really that interested in what my true nature could be. I'm only pursuing enlightenment for its benefits, not because I'm curious of what I am. So how can I make myself curious about what my true nature could be.

Note: the only reason I want to develop curiosity for my true nature is because I want to make my self inquiry more effective.  

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

17 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

So according to various enlightenment teachers, developing a curiosity to find your true self is very important. However, even as I'm doing self inquiry, I'm not really that interested in what my true nature could be. I'm only pursuing enlightenment for its benefits, not because I'm curious of what I am. So how can I make myself curious about what my true nature could be.

Note: the only reason I want to develop curiosity for my true nature is because I want to make my self inquiry more effective.  

Kids are curious about a lot of things. I guess my advice is, be more like a kid! Bring on your inner child see if he's curious :D 

🌟

🌟  Star ☀ Power 🌟

🌟

@How to be wise Take a moment to stop and just realize how ridiculous your position is.

You don't know what you are.

You might be kangaroo for all you know. And yet here you are trying to get stuff.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I think getting a glimpse of what you can be like would be beneficial. if natural curiosity doesnt arise you can experiment with psychedelics and see for yourself what a tiny bit of it's like.

@How to be wise take a psychedelic and experience an ego death. Or go out far away from nearby light pollution and lay down and observe the milky way and just wonder in awe. Go deeper, you could replace the words "Nature of Reality" to "Truth". 

@How to be wise If you're aware that you're pursuing enlightenment only for it's benefits then you can stop at that point!

Developing curiosity just takes more and more enlightenment practice. You become extremely aware which leads to curiosity. It's that simple.

I would say having a curiosity is even more important than the actual self inquiry practice itself. If you truly are curious, then everything else is secondary. I don't know if you can force it though, you just have to naturally want to know. Taking a psychedelic could maybe spark an interest. I think what your doing right now is just feeding your ego if your only in this for benefits. Just sit down and self inquire for the sake of just doing it, don't have some destination in mind.

@How to be wise It takes time to actually see the questions for what they are meant to be. Just stay with it and eventually you'll hit a moment where you can see why the inquiry is there. Try asking " if I am not an individual what would I be without a me and everything else?" But you have to catch on to the self implications of what you are asking. It doesn't matter if you get it or not. Keep going and just focus as hard as you can on everything in between asking. Start to notice how your mind makes a thought about an individual you identify as to distract you from focusing. Yes you as you think you are now. That is only a thought. What could you be if not a single thing?

Edited for that young grammar

Edited by Friend

@How to be wise As Leo said, just sit down and think for a moment about the fact that it is very likely that you don't know what you are. Think about the implications of that and just soak into it. Through deep questioning you develop a sense of doubt about your identification with the body and thoughts. It's likely that the deeper this doubt goes, the more curious you become about what you really are.

Edited by Space

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

@How to be wise In the Bhaghavad Gita this developing of desire of attaining the supreme is called bhakti yoga.

You must place The Living One above yourself first, do devotional service and engage all senses including the mind in this service. Dropping all That poluted the mind such as alcohol, drugs, caffaine, ilicit sexual activities-, and do chant His name, offering food and water according to scripture before consuming it yourself, talking about the supreme, Reading and listeing about Him is all part of devotional service in the form of bhakti yoga That will let you develop pure desire in attaing Him, your true self.

Swami prabhupada has written down about this alot in the science of self-realization.

Ahayah Ashar Ahayah.

Chant and be free!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOBDIoLi3C4 Ahayah Ashar Ahayah, chant and be free!

• How Do I Develop Curiosity To Find My True Self?
    • developing a curiosity to Truth!
  • How Do I Develop Curiosity To Find Truth?
    • stopping feeding falseness (opinion, believes)