Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alyra

Why Do We Pursue Things?

12 posts in this topic

maybe I just need to be reminded of it. 

but, if happiness is something which we already have - we just need to notice it, and hold onto it. That, we don't need anything such as a career path or a family or this or that or the other thing to be happy. then, why do we continue these pursuits would we be perfectly enlightened? 

I ask this question almost ironically because, I've never felt a need to do anything in pursuit of happiness. that's always been something I had confidence I'd find again, so trying to get it was never a direct interest. so - help me to remember, why is it that we take these actions which separate my life from yours? If the government came by and uprooted me from here and uprooted you from there and switched our places, you would still be that different person. even the enlightened masters have differences in their activity. why is it? what is the source of motivation? because it is different in some ways between people. 

happiness and enlightenment are different things, although they are close because they both have to do with your well-being and your state. In a sense happiness is more of a destination, it's a state you "get" (pursue) to, a temporary emotion that oscillates, and enlightenment is more like a verb, it's not a destination or something you get to, it's what you be, what you are, it's what you IS and living from that place.  

You need "motive" to get to a certain "destination", so if you strip away reason and destination and yet are still able to maintain the state of happiness then what are you left with? Being. You're it. there's nowhere to go and that's enlightenment. 

Edited by Truth

Memento Mori

Cause otherwise you die.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

not for me. I just did what I did, responding to the moment.

gosh that sounds deep but honest no, I just, as a teen. if my friends came to me I'd respond to them. if my teach gave me a test I'd react to that. I found happiness pretty easy in lots of things, and I suffered too - I have had a lot of anxiety and depression in my life. 

but I never missed happiness, 'cause it always popped up sometime or other in the day. and mostly I just reacted to the moment according to how I felt was in my person to do so. not like consciously identifying personality tho... like, intuitively. I followed intuition. probably not as cleanly as Leo suggest we could of course. but intuitions always been my main motivator.

but, lately I've had too much shit clogging their gutters. bad habits that slowly built up over time.

but anyway - I'm confused because, the tainted false intuition, when I do stop to think about it, it's pretty easy to identify. but, I've been having this idea in my head of something I'm gonna do. but it's illogical, it appears self destructive. but I keep returning to the idea, and so far it's never felt dirty, never felt lower. it's something that would bring me happiness, logically speaking. but, that's not something I've ever pursuit.

how can I trust an intuition if it goes against logic? if it appears superfluous? it is something I Jeep returning to to plan for in my life. I'm gonna do it. but logically, I feel selfish. not intuitively selfish - fear due to logical hang-ups.

idk, none of the replies have made much sense to me lol.... maybe there is no reason why intuition guides us. I dunno if this is the same question I originally asked, tbh, but... what is intuition? where does it come from? 

how to contemplate for an answer, on my own? hm...

I'm lost lol. 

@alyra why do you want this question to be answered? why do you pursue an answer?

unborn Truth

steam of thought -> impulse -> rational decision.

it's more complex than that but that's the basic structure of it. 

the factors for that decision included curiosity for diversity from my own vantage. also to find ways to remain partially active on the community. also to seize an opportunity to practice effective communication. some others I can't bring into identity-memory.

right now I'm pursuing nothing. or, rest. because I've made myself to feel vulnerable, from a deep and healing wound. combined with not having eaten enough so my body is without energy. this leads to resting.

I guess right now I'm pursuing the long-haul goal of having the strength and endurance to not become fragile when vulnerable. that's a link I'd like to break. it gets in the way of my pursuits and wears me out fast.

oh, @ajasatya, for notification ;)

Edited by alyra

is it self-evident? the reason is only the abstraction of the whole endeavor.

there is no "the reason" except an abstract extracted analysis of some part of the endeavor itself. to criticize the reason is only - to criticize the narrow looking glass as being too limited. 

On 29. 8. 2017 at 2:09 PM, alyra said:

I've been having this idea in my head of something I'm gonna do. but it's illogical, it appears self destructive. but I keep returning to the idea, and so far it's never felt dirty, never felt lower. it's something that would bring me happiness, logically speaking. but, that's not something I've ever pursuit.

how can I trust an intuition if it goes against logic? if it appears superfluous? it is something I Jeep returning to to plan for in my life. I'm gonna do it. but logically, I feel selfish. not intuitively selfish - fear due to logical hang-ups.

Do you want to tell us the specifics of the decision you're confused about here? 

I cannot answer your questions abstractly, but maybe talking about the very thing that's bugging you would give you some purely pragmatic insight :/

On 8/28/2017 at 1:37 PM, alyra said:

maybe I just need to be reminded of it. 

but, if happiness is something which we already have - we just need to notice it, and hold onto it. That, we don't need anything such as a career path or a family or this or that or the other thing to be happy. then, why do we continue these pursuits would we be perfectly enlightened? 

I ask this question almost ironically because, I've never felt a need to do anything in pursuit of happiness. that's always been something I had confidence I'd find again, so trying to get it was never a direct interest. so - help me to remember, why is it that we take these actions which separate my life from yours? If the government came by and uprooted me from here and uprooted you from there and switched our places, you would still be that different person. even the enlightened masters have differences in their activity. why is it? what is the source of motivation? because it is different in some ways between people. 

This is a great video. It's a bodybuilding video. But it's not really it's more about life purpose in general. 

Like they say in the video "......otherwise what are you doing? You are just waiting to die, do not wait to die....."

@Elisabeth sorry.. to share it would hugely complicate the conversation. 

IMO the idea of what motivates a pursuit is pretty transferable. But if you want something to try to address you could always try to explain why humans peruse happiness ;) I don't understand that either. happiness comes when it comes, I don't need it, I don't find it to motivate my decisions.

@alyra It was just a suggestion based on my experience. I usually find myself pondering these things when I have to decide something specific, and than when I ask people they are all confused and can't relate. But when I go back to the specifics I get my urgent problem solved quickly. It has happened more than once. 

I do pursue happiness, and if you don't, I don't understand you - which doesn't say much about either of us.