Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max_V

Breaking Old Habits.

7 posts in this topic

How do you break old habits? What I've noticed on vacation is that it's much easier for me to go do self actualization work. I am more urged to meditate more, I read more, I draw and create more art. 

When I'm at home I slip back into old habits of gaming or procrastinating. 

I used to be addicted at gaming, and used this as an escape. Now that I stopped being addicted I play occasionally. 

When I'm at home it feels much more difficult to be productive since it so easy to fall back into my old behavior.

How do I change this?

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

I know this isn't a popular opinion but even in gaming you can implement a sort of awareness exercising. Any activity really, it's not easy at first but you get better at it and it will help your performance.

You can still do the things you love, just be in the moment and notice the  thoughts that occur. Gaming, especially with other people online can be very challenging exercise since feelings of not be able to handle losing or toxic players can affect your awareness - but challenges are the best way to improving!

Wanted to add I'm a big Overwatch fan :) But yes I play much less as I'm drawn more to other activities and being outside now.

Edited by Dogsbestfriend

Im no expert in this area, but I suggest you take a look at some of Leo's videos. There is one about braking bad habits, that strike me as a good video for this type of problem. 

Have you watch that one? If thats the case, why didn't it help?

Edited by severedfred

@Max_V I think you start slow.  Basic advice , I know, but it works. 

I think replacing those habits is the best thing you can do. 

Find an activity that is equally enjoyable to you and do that instead of the other one.  

I guess your mind goes along with that and you will keep doing it, until eventually, you will forget about the other one. 

As we know, habits are build on repetition so if you stop doing it, it will get vanished ? 

@severedfred Good point. I will watch them, thanks for suggestion,

@egoeimai Awesome idea, I've been wanting to get back into piano. This is my perfect chance to replace watching random youtube videos with piano practice. Thanks a lot!

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

Try to get rid of the games you are addicted to. Make it harder to easily access them. It's hard, but it worked for me. 

As Leo once said: "Always do what's emotionally most difficult". 

NO EXCUSES! ;)

Edited by Vitamine Water

The art is to look without looking 

Write how you feel after a certain activity, for example after 2 hours of playing video games I feel _____ etc and then write how you feel after doing a good habit like meditation. Keep it close so when you get the urge to do the bad habit, you'll see it isn't worth it. Ask yourself how do you want to feel and what will happen with your life if you continue on with this behaviour. Good luck! ;)

Having no destination, I'm never lost. - Ikkyu