Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Maynor

What Are Some Examples Of Limiting-beliefs That You Can Think Of?

19 posts in this topic

I want to investigate my limiting beliefs more.  I'm going to make a list of limiting-beliefs that I am clinging to.  Your ideas could help me.  All limiting-beliefs are existentially false.  I get that, but the issue is that we still cling to limiting-beliefs in everyday life.  This is a practical question more than an enlightenment question.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

May not be what you are looking for, but I have decided to be mindful of not starting any sentences with "I can't", but to replace them with "I don't", or "I haven't yet." 

for me, the big boss was this one: the belief that i still needed healing.

unborn Truth

I still need to learn lot of theory to get result. (Self actualization) Good post Joseph, i want to see more replies to this question so i can check myself on wether i to have same limiting beliefs that are hidden in me. 

Edited by Harikrishnan

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

I was really chained in by this belief that I needed to find my life companion / "other half" in order to fully succeed with my life purpose. For quite some time, I was coaxed by this idea. Frantic in trying to make a relationship work, I was conceptualising all these great possibilities for what could be achieved, yet still sitting around and doing absolutely nothing for myself. I was jostled into action when I realised how hopeless I had become as a result of that belief. 

Respecting other people's boundaries - so not respecting someone's boundaries is a limiting belief. I'm talking about how people in general relate to other people and what they find most important in life. What is a person's core values? Think about it. It's a very sensitive topic. Sometimes a person will only talk about this with another person of similar core values. One person's core values may be a taboo to another person's core values. So they stay away not wanting to go into it. There may be a big misunderstanding if two people of different core values start talking to each other. Radical open-mindedness is needed for discussion. Life experience is needed for discussion. 

What I do to overcome limiting beliefs is just to ask myself a few simple but powerful questions. 

How is this belief helping me? How is it making me feel? (This question will make you aware of your feelings) 

If it's making you feel bad then why would you wish to hold onto it? Surely it's just your ego trying to keep you where you are!

Limiting beliefs are one of it's weapons and when you believe in them, it has an ace in the hole!

Can I allow this belief to be as it is without wanting to get rid of it? Can I accept that it is just a thought? Trying to get rid of a belief by wanting it to be gone will just keep you going in circles.

It's like pushing a person outside the front door and they just come round the backdoor and when you try and get rid of them, this same cycle happens over and over again. So allow that person (belief) to stay in the house. (in your mind) 

I guess my limiting belief is about whether the information i study is actually working but I shine the light onto this belief and logic dissolves it.

I trust this can be of benefit to you :)

I write about scientific-based self-help, habits, productivity, creativity and ancient wisdom over at www.selfempoweredlife.com

"Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep" - The Internet

The most common is "I'm not worthy enough for that." And the bad thing here is that you approach everything in life with that attitude, so you set yourself up for disappointment in advance. 

But the thing which you think makes you feel sort of authentic in the first place could in fact make you go round in circles in the long run. That thing could manifest itself as a limiting belief nonetheless. So is it really the right way to negotiate its efficiency in terms of how it makes you feel? I am being overly doubtful here, that I know. @Lawrence

Edited by naive13

The belief that I have to be in a certain state before I can become present-consciousness.

Which is obviously fake because I am that presence, and I will always be it.

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

the belief that -as a responsible adult-  I have to have an opinion about all the things that happen.. Is it good or bad, do I like it or not, do I agree or not..? And, of course that I have to defend my Position..

It is such a relief to make a step aside and to just let flow :)

What a lot of these beliefs have in common is that the separate self exists.

If there's no separate self/ego, then you can't really "think" about it!  That's what I'm discovering.

The problem aren't the beliefs themselves - they are just thoughts that are generated by the metathought of a separate self.

That there's something fundamentally wrong with me, and that I won't stop until I find out what it is. 

Limiting belief? Yes but it's pushed me into this path. And I have a sneaking suspicion what is wrong with 'me' !! :D

That one might have learning disabilities 

from what I know about learning what seems to be important is how you do it and there seems to be some good research on how to learn effectively and it really does deepened on how you learn that is essential for what results you get as for example if you just repeatedly practice something over and over again you might not get the best results the research shows that to really improve you need to be doing deliberate practice which is to practice on the edge of your comfort zone and get feedback on where to improve(there is probably more on deliberate practice than that) and for example one of the reason some might have difficult to focus might be because of something called attention residue which is something you get everytime you switch your concentration to something else and it can damage your ability to think intensely which can be important to understand ideas (the key to avoid attention residue is to embrace boredom)

i think unfortunately not enough people research on learning on how to learn and therefore doesn't know how you should learn what you want to learn which is why they might have difficulty to learn what they want to learn

Edited by BjarkeT