Joseph Maynor

Do You Consider Personal Development To Be A Science, And Why Isn't It Taught More Like One In Schools

7 posts in this topic

Very odd.  You would think the law of supply and demand would have supplied the missing link here.  It appears there is an error in the code somewhere.  How do you explain it?  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor Schools are not set up to bring about the best in someone, they are set up to process kids to be adapted to society and and be cogs in a big machine you can check out https://archive.org/stream/TheUndergroundHistoryOfAmericanEducation_758/TheUndergroundHistoryOfAmericanEducation#page/n21/mode/2up

that gives all the reading u need on why schools are the way they are.

They are probably well meaning teachers out there but the system is so inefficient for example think about the bell ringing every 50 mins or so for a new subject and to be in a class with 30 or so kids.

On the other hand maybe it is better this way because who decides what Personal development is? in the case of school it would be the state, it is more up to the parents i think and maybe the only solution is to cut some school time and people start working slightly less at their jobs spending more time with there kids and with themselves of course to bring out the best in them it should be up to the individual and all you can do is encourage, u can't force this.

This comes back to an extremely tough discussion of who decides what is best and can people be trusted with the raising of their own kids and teaching and encouraging them, it is tempting to say you can't trust most of them but we probably have to.

Last thing i would say and this goes against the part above completely is that since i follow all Jordan Peterson's courses i would say yes it is a science and yes it should be taught, listen to what he has to say, it is true self development.

So i guess to conclude yes should be taught in my opinion but we should be extremely careful who does it and who is it ultimately for it should be for the individual and you should be learning how to think well which is actually extremely hard.

also just a thought by excluding it maybe we are teaching something else, namely that life is about getting a job and buying nice stuff because that is what society is indirectly saying doing the stuff we do now, we need the big questions in our life, we need to learn how to think.

excuse the long answer i feel this is to hard to answer without nuance but this is what i think.

Here is an excerpt from Outwitting The Devil by Napoleon Hill -

Q) Why aren't children taught definiteness of Purpose in the public schools?

A) For the reason that there is no definite plan or purpose behind any of the school curricula! Children are sent to school to make credits and to learn how to memorize, not to learn what they want from life.

Q) I want to know two things about this system. First, what is the major weakness of the system? Second, how can this weakness be eliminated? 

A) To begin with, the public school system approaches the subject of education from the wrong angle. The school system endeavours to teach children to memorize facts, instead of teaching them how to use their own minds.

Q) Is that all that is wrong with the system?

A) No, that is only the beginning. Another major weakness of the school system is that it does not establish in the mind of children either importance of definiteness of purpose or make any attempt to teach youths how to be definite of anything. The major object of all schooling is to force the students to cram their memories with facts instead of teaching them how to organize and make practical use of facts. This cramming system centers the attention of students on the accumulation of 'credits' but overlooks the important question of how to use knowledge in the practical affairs of life. This system turns out graduates whose names are inscribed upon parchment certificates, but whose minds are empty of self-determination.

What did you think of this guys? It was written in 1938 and it shows that Hill was very ahead of his time,

I HIGHLY recommend you check out this book. It is mind blowing!

Outwitting The Devil by Napoleon Hill

Peace :) 

Edited by Lawrence

I write about scientific-based self-help, habits, productivity, creativity and ancient wisdom over at www.selfempoweredlife.com

"Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep" - The Internet

@Steph1988 Such a great read! I'm glad it made an impact on you :)

I write about scientific-based self-help, habits, productivity, creativity and ancient wisdom over at www.selfempoweredlife.com

"Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep" - The Internet

On 24/08/2017 at 0:06 PM, Lawrence said:

It was written in 1938 and it shows that Hill was very ahead of his time,

Its actually very strange to me that not much has changed since 1938.

Schools have been cramming children's minds for another 79 years, that's  a long time..