Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Maynor

Did You Miss Your Career Calling In Life?

3 posts in this topic

In other words, did you enter some career that doesn't really fit you to a T?  Explain.  When did you start to figure this out?  What do you think you would do if you could do it all over again?

Sometimes I can look at a person doing a job and see that they missed their calling to do something else.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor @Shiva I didn't know what my passion was until I was in my late 20's and I don't think it is ever to late to start what you really want to do. 

As a little girl I have always dreamt of being a fashion designer which I did for a few years and then realised my childhood dreams aren't what I really wanted as an adult. I then studied Law, Criminology & Psychology at University and thought I would become a Lawyer. I had a job in a good law firm, good income but got bored and didn't like the industry. 

I loved studying psychology and how people's mind work, behaviour etc. I then studied counselling and then went onto Life Coaching. I was working a full time job while starting my life coaching business and I have fallen so in love with being able to coach others. I knew that this is what I want to do for the rest of my life. After nearly two years of coaching people, I transitioned my business after studying Nutrition in health and nutrition coaching, because I believe success does all start in the mind, but in order to have a healthy strong mindset we need to be feuling our bodies with the right nutrients. 

It is normal to want to try a lot of things before we find that one thing we truely love. 

I believe some people are happy to live a mediocre life and happy to settle for their usual day job and having a set routine they follow every single day for years on end. I have noticed through coaching that some people say they want the change but are not willing to put the effort into making any changes, they hope that paying someone else all their problems go away... and we all know it doesn't work like that.

@Joseph Maynor I was very lucky to discover what I didn't like. Since I was a child I was the most creative one from my class and even one of the greatest of my school. Everyone around said, you will do good in technology! The seed of unhappiness was planted. Until I was 18 years old I discovered that I didn't like what I did thanks to internship. I finished my education, because my papers give me access to other educations so it wasn't a waste. At my internship I felt so inferior, though people were impressed by my abilities. This is something I own to my value of excellence, I don't like to do things halfway. The only negative point they had was my insecurity and this was caused my feeling inferior which was caused by not being interested in maintenance (my field of study).

I think many people are very aware if they like their job or not. The thing is that people (in my country) have to make choices very young, though they don't know what they really like. Eventually many people stick to their choices and prioritize other things. They get stuck in their zone of excellence.

To me it felt like I wasted all that time on topics which I would never use again. I imagine that someone who has a whole career would have a tougher time to make that decision.

My personality was also not fit for a career in maintenance so I don't regret it. I think being authentic makes the change to start over again. fulfillment is in the end more important than a successful- or a comfortable career.