Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alyra

I Criticize Leo's Policy To Prevent "monkey Chatter"

3 posts in this topic

obviously tho, I do understand and in fact agree with the concern that monkey-chatter is distracting.

naturally, we want the site and its forums to be minimizing how it is distracting.

but, to outright disallow any space for lighter discussion, we are running from it, not facing who we are. We are not being accepting or aware of a part of us. We are fearing being with ourselves, rather than accepting ourselves as we are.

There is a meditation strategy, likely multiple, in which you allow your thoughts to be as they are - you don't work to focus or be aware of certain things or ask certain things, you work on accepting your thoughts as they come and go. in being mindful of them and letting them be as they are. For example, the do-nothing technique.

while posting is not meditation - the same principle can apply. sometimes it is good to contemplate or focus of course - but sometimes it is good to allow the monkey chatter to run its course. Or maybe, it isn't really monkey chatter after all - the thoughts which seem random, lead you to a path of contemplation after-all, and you discover something new.

I do not ask for the site's forums to be overcome by such threads, as I agree that the forum overall is dedicated for self-actualization work, not for distractions. But, I do ask for a solo thread in this forum, to be pinned and never locked, in which people can drop in and post a thought that's on their mind. Naturally the feature which prevents us from spamming posts will assist in keeping such a thread to be more mindful and patient, rather than spamming content - but to allow small content to be posted in this thread will be helpful in addition to all the discussion threads people start for themselves.

But there are often times when we come across a thought or a concern which does not really ask for an entire thread to discuss them.

in fact, historically most of my threads in this forum have been threads that I wish I could post in such a solo dedicated thread. posts which didn't really look for discussion, only to be said and shared. I do not often look for a discussion thread as I prefer to contemplate on my own. But sometimes as I contemplate or practice awareness, I discover something worth sharing and wish to post it. Such threads usually get an upvote or two or three - indicating that other people found the post meaningful - but do not generate much discussion, except agreement or sharing of similar thoughts.

Examples of what kind of thread I request, are titled "what are you thinking" or "confession corner" or "today I learned" - threads which ask for a short post denoting some idea or concern which is light in nature and could just be posted and upvoted and not replied to. or it could spark discussion of the topic. Perhaps "insights worth sharing" could be the thread title for example.

Actually, the pinned thread "meditation techniques mega thread" can be considered such a thread which I ask for in this forum.

Such a thread, one thread, would give space in this forum for people to be open about themselves. In fact, it would actually decrease thread spams - as it would give a place for folks to post something not so important. But - it would increase forum activity, as it would give people a sense of community. It in fact could help folks who struggle with connecting to others, a concern often encountered by self-actualizers as they begin their serious work, to find ways to be natural with others instead.

such a thread is like the water cooler. Originally business folk opposed it thinking it was wasting time and distracting - but later realized that allowing time for people to allow their thoughts to randomly surface - increased creativity and often the topics would return to work, inspiring the employees. Such a thread is like the water cooler.

Why do we need a thread on this forum for people to let their monkey minds freely Express themselves? Have you seen Facebook, Twitter, instagram? Go on there if you want some ?

The fear is of the monkey mind. but this is not the reality of what occurs. What occurs is a sharing of experiences, ideas, passion, and concern. On Facebook, such topics would not be the same as the topics shared and discussed on here. 

To remove the expectation of question and answer that is in the threads which are created individually, what such a dedicated "confessional" thread would remain with: is an opportunity to trust each other for who we are and for our experiences as they are. The sharing of acceptance and awareness beyond the limits of the self, to the realm of community, looking outward, and perceiving externally.

In removing the preconception of "opening poster and respondent" we would provide a viable supporting crutch for members interested in that opportunity to use as they work to self-actualize.