PetarKa

How Open Are You About Your Pd?

8 posts in this topic

During the last year or so I was hyper-hiding the personal development I do from people who don't do PD. I don't know why I did this. Perhaps I didn't want to be ridiculed and become a black sheep. Perhaps I was doubting myself whether I genuinely believe in what I was doing (PD). Regardless, I am curious about how you deal with this issue. Are you completely open about it? Or do you hide it and conceal it whenever the topic arises?

@PetarKa I'm totally cool with being a black sheep. I almost always guide the conversations I have with others to a topic around self actualization otherwise I want to shoot myself.   Often people are interested in what you've got to say anyway. 

I was also hyper-hiding it like it was something to be ashamed of.. I realized I was afraid of being different and of being a black sheep. Now I slowly come to peace with being one (it's still difficult and very painful) and I slowly open myself. I don't even do it on purpose, it just happens that I subconsciously let the conversations drift in that direction, specially when I talk to someone who is suffering or asking for advice.

whatever arises, love that

@PetarKa all though I'm open about it I feel that not telling people about it is better. 

Its better to just do it rather than discussing it and the most of the people have no clue about this.

Its difficult to shoe them this other bubble we live in... 

I don't think I ever actually used the word "self development" in conversation. Still, most people in my life know I practice buddhism, like to work out, eat healthy, do yoga, read psycholgy books, take my career seriously, practice positivity etc. We will have conversations on any of these topics, but for some reason never on "self development" as one coherent thing. 

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

I tell people that I meditate and seek to improve myself if the topic comes up. But I usually don't adress it personally, not out of fear, But because it's irrelevant to the conversation.

Many times, people don't give a fuck anyways

I prefer to be open.  It has allowed me to synergize with all the people on here.  If you put yourself out there, you always get growth.  Covey's 6th habit is Synergy.  Synergy is magical like enlightenment.  It's kinda underrated even though it's one of the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People.  Synergy can take your personal development and growth into the stratosphere!

Synergy is 1+ 1 = 3

Check this out:

https://www.franklincovey.com/the-7-habits/habit-6.html

"The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People" read by Covey himself.  

https://www.audible.com/pd/Business/The-7-Habits-of-Highly-Effective-People-Audiobook/B002V5HAL4

Edited by Joseph Maynor

On 18 augusti 2017 at 11:47 AM, Voyager said:

I almost always guide the conversations I have with others to a topic around self actualization otherwise I want to shoot myself. 

@Voyager haha :D