Feeble Dave

How To Know What Career To Pursue

3 posts in this topic

Ok, so I need some help. This post may be a bit rambley, so bear with me if you have the patience.

I am  nearly 20 years old and midway through university doing a certain science course. I have ended up here because it was the subject I was most good at and quite interested in during school, so it was the obvious choice at the time. It has always been the default path for me.

I enjoy my course because I find it interesting and rewarding, but I don't find it completely fascinating, and I'm not extremely passionate about it.

I have recently became very involved in self-development, and have found a great passion for it. I love meeting and being around passionate people, and improving my social and communication skills. Ever since I can remember, I have had an intense drive to "do something worthwhile/productive/meaningful with my time", and if I don't, I get very frustrated. I am also very passionate about mediating, self inquiry and reading about non-duality.

I am not sure whether to try follow these passions or stick with the safe option in science with good job opportunities. I am interested in being self employed or starting a business. I would love to spend my life making a living through personal development. I also love the prospect of having my whole career based around my creative output, and where I am in control.

I feel like there is such pressure in making the right choice, such that I am so afraid to get it wrong and end up stuck.

How can I test to see if starting a business in personal development is for me? It seems like such an unknown, I don't know how to try without betting my life on it. I don't even know what I'd do in this field.

Anyway, if you have any advice on this please let me know. Thanks for reading.

Me,

Feeble Dave

Personally, I think if you don't even know what you would do exactly, don't focus on creating a business just yet. The good thing about personal development is, that once you adopt the developing mindset, EVERY single thing in your life becomes a tool and a playground for your own growth. You are basically doing personal development already by pursuing your academic career. 
Study this stuff and learn what kind of different aspects there are. If you think you could really create benefit for people or when you really become passionate about a particular direction, then try to create some kind of inofficial business. Invest some money and do some small workshops, either in person or over the internet. In the mean time you can help people with their problems and teach them some PD concepts, so you can test how well you can teach this stuff. 

Good luck bro, you can do it!

Thanks @Damir Elezi for your reply. I definitely get what you are saying about searching for ideas and testing them and myself through small workshops.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to tie in life purpose when I don't know what I want to do. I am itching for some sort higher purpose but I am too scared to define it and get it wrong.

Also, does anyone know of other career ideas involving personal development?