Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sleeperstakes

Thoughts On Holotropic Breathwork

18 posts in this topic

Have any of you experienced it or been somewhere that teaches or practises it? does it work, and what was it like for you?

I experienced it twice and it works incredibly well to release stuck emotions and you can also have psychedelic-like experiences.

I did it to release emotions and it worked great. 

If you repressed a lot during your life , like me , it can lead to awakening and massive releases also afterwards ( spiritual crisis / emergency ) . So beware if you know you have some serious neurosis.

I think it is more effective if you go and do it and have a good meditation routine established. 

In my opinion, together with meditation and psychedelics , holotropic breathwork is the greatest tool for fast deep psychological change . You just need to surrender and face the emotional pain. And you also have support from facilitators if the places become too dark. 

http://www.holotropic-association.eu/breathwork/frequently-asked-questions

Edited by nick96

Observe reality as it is, not as you would like it to be 

Everytime I do it I get insane cramping in my body. I haven't had any visions. Just discomfort. Rolling around the floor in pain. I thought maybe my body isn't used to the hypoxia. So i tried it a few times at my house and had the same reaction, think I need to stick with it. 

@Voyager   It sounds a bit harsh to put yourself through so much in the name of healing and getting better.  

Maybe there can be lighter, softer, more loving ways to heal and grow than doing this if its causing you so much pain.

@Nexeternity "It sounds a bit harsh to put yourself through so much in the name of healing and getting better." 

Well, for real healing, you have to go through some pain no matter which way you take. 

@Voyager I have once got these crampings too (a bit like orgasm spasms) and its very uncomfortable in the nose and throat to keep breathing. I never did it longer than 20 min though. I am going to go to a hb workshop soon though, I'll let you know my experience.

Oh yeah and I can also highly recommend checking out the book "holotropic breathwork by Dr. Stan Grof "

@Ranz Kafka  I see the truth in what you are saying.  I just hate to see that truth turned into a limiting belief that forces you to beat yourself up in honor of healing.  

Is this similar to Wim Hof breathing technique?

B R E A T H E

Oh lord I tried it last night.. couldn't even keep it up for two minutes, how could someone possibly do it for the suggested 2 hours? holy crap. 

how do you actually practice it ?

@Ranz Kafka does the book teaches you how to do it ?

i have bought the book but havent read it yet.

can you do it home or you have to go to a workshop ?

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

@Blue is the sea there are websites and youtube videos explaining how to do it. The book is probably more thorough though.  Everything I have seen says you need a sitter if you do it at home... must be some really powerful stuff

@Nexeternity I've done a 1 hour session with someone trained under Dr. Grov. It's quite a powerful technique. I can't imagine a full session of 3 hours. Just within that 1 hour I've cried til my eyes went dry. 

@Blue is the sea the actual breathing is really simple: its just faster and deeper and without the breaks you usually do after each cycle.

The book describes the full therapeutic process.  And yes, you probably need a sitter...groupworkshops are most beneficial though because of the connectedness/teamspirit.

Sorta reminds me of Osho's Dynamic Meditation they use similar breathing at the first exercise and similar movements occur within the video.

B R E A T H E

On 10/7/2017 at 0:57 PM, Blue is the sea said:

@Ranz Kafkacan you do it home or you have to go to a workshop ?

It's a lot better if you go do it in a workshop with facilitators trained by "grof transpersonal training"

I have been told that not even Grof himself used to breath alone. It is not safe to enter some altered states of consciousness alone . In workshops you have always a sitter watching you and facilitators ready to assist you. I spoke with people that have experienced full ego death , astral projections , or other powerful experiences during the technique. These experiences can be extremely scary and can potentially lead to extreme actions if you are alone. I speak also from my  own personal experience.

Also, if the setting is good, as in workshops , the effectiveness of the technique is incredibly better. 

Observe reality as it is, not as you would like it to be 

Great topic! 

I have also experienced with releasing way too much emotional baggage. You can go nuts. 

The thing is, guys, you cannot brute force healing. My experience with breathing techniques is that I can become highly neutoric in trying to solve every tiny problem in my life, you know? 

Anyway, a healing tool that has been MUCH more effective than breath-work is Reiki. It is so simple, yet so gentle and effective. Haha... Anyway... Breath-work is extremely delicate. Therefore, you NEED someone to guide you. Otherwise, you will mess up with your whole energetic system. Haha.. Yoga classes are also great to release some emotional baggage. But I do not mean "gym-yoga". I am referring here to "spiritual yoga." Hahaha... Or energetic yoga... IDK... 

To me, those breathing exercises can be somewhat neurotic. Seriously... if you mess up with pranayamas (aka breathing exercises), you will most likely cause a brain damage. Check out this article, yoga-freaks hahaha: http://swamishivapadananda.typepad.com/swami_shivapadananda/2010/10/danger-of-excessive-pranayama-yoga-breathing.html

I have never done this holotropic breathwork. I checked some things on youtube. It seems very similar to what I am studying. Let me repeat something: you can cause brain damage. 

It is no use doing spiritual practices if you are not rooted in Love. I would say the safest way to go is through Reiki. But do whatever your body is telling you. Hehe... 

Edited by Gabriel Antonio

On 13/10/2017 at 9:41 PM, Gabriel Antonio said:

I have never done this holotropic breathwork. I checked some things on youtube. It seems very similar to what I am studying. Let me repeat something: you can cause brain damage.

Sorry but that's simply untrue. I've talked to countless yoga teacher and consulted a lot of ressources and you cannot damage your brain. You can fuck up your mind a bit if you're going too fast but you can't die nor damage your brain.

@Lynnel okay, fine. but incorrect technique can cause to a lot of damage. seriously, if you're going to do solo without any guidance, you are most guarantee to fail. if you are like most people who have almost zero body awareness, you will mess it up.