hinawashi

Be A Fan, Not A Fanatic

7 posts in this topic

Quick question here: Why are fans so fanatical?

For example, there are plenty of My Little Brumby (Friendship is Witchery) fans out there, but apparently if you mention that you don't like those brumbies in front of them, they will treat it as an ad hominem attack for some reason.

Although this seems quite pervasive on the Internets, but it's common outside of the online world (politics, for example). My knowledge fails to explain this problem, so I'm asking for some insight from the peoples here.

Hope you know more about this than I do.

This is an enlightenment issue.  What I mean is that people are clinging to identity and beliefs in a certain way.  Studying more about enlightenment is what you want to do to get at the core of what is going on here. 

Edited by Joseph Maynor

When you're criticizing a person's interest, beliefs, creations, words etc. You're not just criticizing that. 

You can be also criticizing their identity. Not just what they think or do but who they are as a person. 

Unconsciously, what people think or do is something they can change. But to them. them as a person can't change. 

So it takes a harder hit to their ego.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates

Being fanatic is the opposite of being open minded, it's the easiest way and the result of being ignorant of the fact that you know so little.

I honestly don't like hero worshipping and fanaticism. 

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

OK, but do we have to identify with something? It is possible for us to not be associated with anything at all? If so is that part of what enlightenment is about?

This is quite difficult for me to understand because how can people identify with something that's not themselves? I mean I'm not a brumby, so how can I identify myself as a brumby? How can I be attached to something external that I believe that it becomes me? It's just mind-baffling to think about.

I se

17 hours ago, hinawashi said:

Quick question here: Why are fans so fanatical?

For example, there are plenty of My Little Brumby (Friendship is Witchery) fans out there, but apparently if you mention that you don't like those brumbies in front of them, they will treat it as an ad hominem attack for some reason.

Although this seems quite pervasive on the Internets, but it's common outside of the online world (politics, for example). My knowledge fails to explain this problem, so I'm asking for some insight from the peoples here.

Hope you know more about this than I do.

I see this with people relating to Actualization.org. Not that they get angry, but that they treat everything Leo says as gospel without doing proper research and work on the topics to see that he really is right. I'm still not convinced that these psychedelics aren't going to end up causing serious problems with the brain. Only takes 1 bad time to cause major problems. Again, maybe they're fine, but I have yet to see Leo mention any research that shows they are ok for you, and it seems like there are people on here that are doing them because Leo said to without doing any proper research to make sure they won't cause brain damage.