Joseph Maynor

Has Anyone Set Up A More Sophisticated Affirmation And Visualization Practice?

8 posts in this topic

Like something where you systematically re-program in the opposite of your key limiting beliefs and visualize the opposite of your sabotaging visualizations.

I feel like because this practice is not systematized right, it is not being used to its fullest-potential as a personal development tool.

This could improve positive-thinking enormously -- a hypothesis I am making here.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor I find it easy to visualise goals such as starting a business or getting a relationship and so to motivate yourself. But it's difficult to visualise goals such as emotional mastery or enlightenment, because you can't actually see them.

Any tips on how to use visualisations for goals that can't be easily visualised. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

That technique would be doing shadow work or enlightenment work. Breaking down your identity, self inquiry, contemplation, understanding, things such as this. 

Memento Mori

I'm seeing now that I need to visualize my life like at least 2 years out.  And that visualization needs to be detailed and definite.  And I gotta review it every day.  Visualization is the sustainable strategy for making every mundane task that you do during your daily-routine make sense and seem interesting.  After all, you see why you're doing it and the exciting things it is leading to and building to.  Like looking through a calculus textbook when you are taking intermediate algebra and dreaming about the interrelations and exciting journey ahead.  And also appreciating all that will need to be learned through hard-work to arrive at the calculus textbook.  The why of everything you're doing then becomes clear.  We need to create this effect in our lives.  And I think visualization is a way to do it.  I'm gonna rig in something and play around with it myself.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

so....apparently you are supposed to limit the time you spend on a particular visualization at first....I believe it's 5 minutes...until your mind is fully trained....the rationale being that monkey mind creeping in can negatively effect the process and result....I'm honestly not very sophisticated with anything...(although I can raise my pinky when I sip tea in a delicate cup & I do like antique handbags...lol.)...anyway, the best results I've had with visualization so far came as a result of practicing a repeated set of words with corresponding images that I used in mala bead meditation...also, the visualizations Leo does where you imagine the horror of a cruddy life continuing through various intervals into the future....so...those with a really powerful impact, or those that are repeated seem most effective...perhaps sophistication comes with mastery....?

Some notes from my visualization practice this morning.

A.  Visualize all the big changes you are going to make in your like and what's going to be like.  5 mins.  

Today I focused on Morning Routine.

1. Morning Routine.

2.  Work Routine.

3.  Evening Routine/ Sleep.

B.  Visualize the results of achieving your life-purpose.  5 mins.

Today I really didn't hone on one specific topic, I just let my mind wander.

1.  Giving my philosophy to the world.

2.  Being financially well off.

3.  Living a virtuous, full, charged life.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Uhmm Positive Affirmations... "Strength and Honour". Gladiator. Or Perhaps "Give/Lead us, not into temptation" Christianity.

Visualisation. "Three weeks from now, I will be harvesting my crops. Imagine where you will be, and it will be so. Hold the line! Stay with me! If you find yourself alone, riding in the green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium, and you're already dead!"

"Brothers, what we do in life... echoes in eternity."

Kind of a Stoic vibe, about it. Maybe some kind of foundation is essential first though, whether a value and/or moral system. Whether that's instilled Militarily, Civicly, Religiously or self-imposed ubermensch.

I find those practices are very limited in nature. That's because you're just adding thoughts to your already-spinning-at-120-mph mind. So you end up with more thoughts on top of the huge amount of thoughts you already have.

My suggestion is for you to use those affirmations/visualisations as pointers to feelings of neediness, resistance, wanting and desiring. Say to yourself the affirmation or do the visualisation and feel the emotional charge there. Release that emotional charge, and you'll be much more able to accomplish whatever your goal is. In fact, you won't even care as much. And that's why you'll be more able to achieve it.

Remember, wanting /= having.