Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
How to be wise

How Did Yogananda Die?

6 posts in this topic

I was reading his Wikipedia page, and it said that he fell to the ground and died instantly the moment he finished his speech. His students said that he did some yoga thing where he left his body. 

Is it actually possible to kill yourself spiritually just by leaving your body? 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

1 hour ago, Loreena said:

In the same fashion as everyone else

no. everyone else can't willingly die just by choosing to leave their bodies!

there was no physical cause of death!

Edited by How to be wise

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise

When Ikkyu died himself, he collected all his disciples and asked them,” Just tell me some new way of dying, because I am not interested in imitation. People die on their beds; I don’t want to die on the bed.” The bed is the most dangerous thing – 99.9 percent of people die there, beware! So whenever you go to bed, remember: This place is very close to the graveyard. His disciples knew that he was a crazy man – now, whoever has ever bothered about how one dies? People simply die....

Ikkyu asked, ”Has somebody a suggestion?”

One man said, ”You can die sitting in the lotus posture.” Ikkyu said, ”That is not new. Many other masters have died in that posture. Suggest something new, novel!”

One man said, ”You can die standing.” Ikkyu said, ”That looks a little better.” But a disciple objected; he said, ”Although it is not well known, I know one Zen master who has died standing. So you will be number two.” Ikkyu said, ”Then reject it. Suggest something new. I want to be first!”

One of his disciples suggested, ”Then there is only one way. You die standing on your head, in a head stand, shirshan. Nobody has ever tried it.” Ikkyu said, ”That is right. That suits me! I am so grateful to you.” He stood on his head and died.

Now the disciples were in trouble. They knew what to do when somebody dies on a bed – that his clothes have to be changed, that he has to be given a bath, new clothes have to be put on him, and then he is taken to the funeral – but what to do with this man who is standing on his head? He has not even fallen, and he is dead!

They tried in every possible way to find out whether he was dead or alive. He was dead, but there was no precedent, so they didn’t know what procedure should be followed.

Somebody said, ”I know his elder sister, who is also a Zen mystic. She lives in a nearby monastery. And he was always respectful to her. I will call her, perhaps she can say something. It is better to enquire before we do anything wrong.”

The sister came, and she was very angry. She came and she said, ”Ikkyu, you have been your whole life mischievous; at least in death, behave! Just lie down on the bed!” And Ikkyu jumped up and lay down on the bed and died. And the sister simply went out. She did not bother that he had died.

The Razor’s Edge~Osho

@Prabhaker @Spiral @Loreena what is mahasamadhi? according to followers, he died by entering a state called mahasamadhi.

3 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

what is mahasamadhi?

When an enlightened person dies, we don't call it death, we call it mahaparinirvana ( mahasamadhi ) , dissolving into the absolute.