Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
How to be wise

Why Should We Contemplate Metaphysical Questions?

13 posts in this topic

I can understand why we should contemplate epistemic questions, because they make us question the beliefs that we already have. But why metaphysical questions. I mean, what's the point of contemplating what existence is, or why existence exists at all. How will that improve our lives? 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

You ask that, and you have a picture of Ramana for your avatar?

Lol

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Just now, Leo Gura said:

You ask that, and you have a picture of Ramana Maharishi for your avatar?

Lol

???

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

If you ask that question you shouldn't do it. If you do it, you wouldn't ask that question.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

2 minutes ago, Azrael said:

If you ask that question you shouldn't do it. If you do it, you wouldn't ask that question.

Well, in the episode 'big picture of self-actualization' Leo said that metaphysical questioning was a big part of finding the truth. I want to start doing it, but I'm finding it hard to convince myself that it's that important. 

3 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

I'm finding it hard to convince myself that it's that important

follow your intuition. if what leo (or anybody else) says doesn't ring a bell for you, then let go of it.

unborn Truth

@How to be wise Notice that when you go deep enough the difference between the metaphysical and the epistemic disappears.  Asking "What is Truth?" becomes the same as asking "What is reality?" or "What is existence?"

9 hours ago, How to be wise said:

Well, in the episode 'big picture of self-actualization' Leo said that metaphysical questioning was a big part of finding the truth. I want to start doing it, but I'm finding it hard to convince myself that it's that important. 

Yeah and I think that if you are not intrinsically thrilled to know this stuff, you'll never get anywhere here because even if you are it's hard enough. Nothing against you, just an observation. That's why I say you shouldn't do it, if you have to will yourself into this.

They want reality, so I give 'em a fatal dosage.

Well, if we define Metaphysics as the investigation of being, then it is squarely-relevant to enlightenment.  The problem is anything you say will be a story existentially speaking.  If it has import concerning "being being" which is what is relevant to enlightenment, it will only serve as scaffolding to help you act, think, and be better (including how you "be" regarding clinging to and interpreting beliefs in specific moments).   Investigate theory all you want, just don't cling to any ideology about enlightenment too-rigidly.   Don't be too mechanical or ideological across-the-board, only if a specific moment calls for this.  The territory laughs at the pretense of the map.  The map is acting way beyond it's pay-grade!  And it duddn't even realize this!  That's our problem.  Let the mystical-spark of being have the last-word over thought-story or belief staking their claim over your infinite-nature.  Don't let thought turn you into something that is finite and thus not infinite.  This all hinges ultimately on how "you" cling to and interpret thought in specific moments.  Get this wrong, and you're gonna self-sabotage in life to a greater or lesser-extent.  Get this right and you'll have emotional-mastery and freedom.  Then you can do whatever you have mind to do without inner-obstacles resisting.  Your actions and your will can finally both unify and dissolve into nothingness.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

What is love ?

What is air/space ?

What is existence/life ?

What is nothing(ness) ?

What is consciousness ?

What is infinity/the universe ?

If you don't seriously question those questions , without trying to conceptualize the fuck out of them and actually really be genuinely interest in them to seek in your own experience what they are pointing to, the chance of it happening is close to 0.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

I used to be interessted in methaphysics when I was younger. For me it was mostly just a tool for intelectual stimulation. As far as Im aware, methaphysics didn't add anything to my life except for the enjoyment I got while engaged with it.

Some sages have recomended metaphysical contemplation as part of a spirital path. Others, including the Buddha,  saw it as a distraction and wasted time that would have been better spent in meditation or practicing kindness and generosity. 

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

For me a big part of it is accurate perception of reality, making decisions based on false appearances and misunderstandings would be a noob move. 

Memento Mori