-Rowan

How To Spot Bullshit On The Forum?

20 posts in this topic

Hi there, this is my first activity on the forum and I'm really looking forward to contributing to it.

I just wanted to ask you guys and Leo, how do you spot bullshit on the forum? I've read a lot of stuff on the forums and sometimes I don't know wether to take it as real or if it's somone just bullshitting away on their keyboard mentally masturbating about spirituality or other topics.

Any help will be much appreciated by me and probably a lot of newly joined members in the future, maybe "How to spot bullshit on the forum" could be a sticky?

Thank you so much,

-Rowan

everyone is here for a purpose, everyone is here because they have something to share, and something for you to learn on. 
everything is life and from everything you can learn
everything is a reflection of yourself

if you look for bullshit you will find it, if you guard against bullshit, you will be doing just that, guarding against bullshit

if you want to find the truth, look for the truth, don't look for bullshit
where your attention is, life will go

Edited by Arkandeus

Stellars interact with Terrans from ÓB (Earth’s Low Orbit).!

Often in personal development, the most important thing to know about that is that you can't prove anything for sure well unless you try and see it for yourself. But there are other things to factor in.

People who've done something first hand are more reliable than those who aren't. Not that those who aren't are saying falsehoods but they have less credibility. 

Its also useful to think of their intentions for sharing this. Does it look like they're doing it to genuinely help you or for something else? For attention? For praise? 

Are they being too one sided on a topic? Are they saying it calmly or with frustration? What are their specific reasons for believing in something? What arguments? Emotions? Experiences? 

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates

@Arkandeus Thats very true, I should have thought about that. Maybe there is a little insecure bullshit guard going on with me, I'll be sure to look for quality stuff and truth rather than frantically protect myself from in taking any advice people have. 

@WaterfallMachine That's really great practical advice, yes, asking those questions would make it easier to see someone's intentions and inner state. 

Thank you very much guys, I've found my answer here for sure. Is there a reputation system on this forum where I can give you some rep or praise for your answers?

Thanks again,

-Rowan

Edited by -Rowan
Typo

Nonsense is a better word.

Second, I'd love to know how long Leo plans on keeping this forum in existence. Forever. Yes or no?

I know Facebook's not going to exist forever.

I have complete respect for this forum. It doesn't trigger suicidal thoughts or anything.

Edited by CuteCornDog

You can tell it's bullshit because the lips are moving.... or since it's a forum the fingers are moving.

@-Rowan I would take everything you read here with a grain of salt. People see things differently. The rep feature is a good indicator if what he/she wrote is something the rest of us agree with.   

@-Rowan By using your discernment.

You should be reading dozens of high quality books. That is critical for calibrating your discernment.

Yeah, if all you do is sit on this forum trying to make sense of all the posts, you'll be very lost. Read books first and foremost. Then you'll easily see through the bullshit posts.

In a public forum, most posts will be bullshit. That is the nature of the beast. On a typical forum, maybe 5% of the posts are worth reading. But that 5% can be life-changing. Don't aim for 100% perfection or accuracy. You just need a gold nugget here and there. Then you seize it like a python, and take action on it. That's how winnin' is done! ;)

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

Think for yourself.  Be very,  very strong in your will to figure things out for yourself.  Don't trust anyone.  Test everything for yourself.  You gotta do the work.  You'll do it all your life.  Set the habit now.  Assume everyone has an agenda -- their perspective.  You are the only authority, remember that.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@-Rowan By using your discernment.

You should be reading dozens of high quality books. That is critical for calibrating your discernment.

Yeah, if all you do is sit on this forum trying to make sense of all the posts, you'll be very lost. Read books first and foremost. Then you'll easily see through the bullshit posts.

In a public forum, most posts will be bullshit. That is the nature of the beast. On a typical forum, maybe 5% of the posts are worth reading. But that 5% can be life-changing. Don't aim for 100% perfection for accuracy. You just need a gold nugget here and there. Then you seize it like a python, and take action on it. That's how winnin' is done! ;)

5% Leo!  Thanks for the support.  That's pretty harsh. Maybe that's just your opinion.  That's a pretty bold claim.  I guess 95% of us are wasting our breath on here. I didn't realize we were being judged so harshly. Oy!  There's something to learn from every situation.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Some of us have been on this forum for a while now. A helpful thing to do is to try to understand the other person - his/her character. Where is this person coming from? What kinds of advices is he/she giving? Does it usually make sense? Am I able to apply it to my life somehow/some way?

5 hours ago, brovakhiin said:

Yes, this is what 99% of the forum is.

This is a very pessimistic way to look at things.  You might want to reconsider this.  There is gold on this forum if you have eyes to see it.  You have to be looking first though not dismissing in a hand-waving, dismissive judgment.  Personal development is first and foremost a willingness to learn theory and apply it.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

7 hours ago, Wormon Blatburm said:

@Joseph Maynor Yes there is Gold, but I don't think one should spend as much time on a forum as much as reading books for example, being on a forum for more than 15 minutes a day on average .

Maybe I need to take your advice seriously. :)

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

9 hours ago, Wormon Blatburm said:

@Joseph Maynor Yes there is Gold, but I don't think one should spend as much time on a forum as much as reading books for example, being on a forum for more than 15 minutes a day on average probably means that person is using it in the same way as scrolling through facebook while laying on a couch for 5 hours instead of doing something useful, looking to see who has the most likes/rep etc.

Depends on where you are in your personal development.  I gain more from participating on the Forum than by reading more books.  I've read hundreds of books (maybe thousands but I'm not trying to brag just trying to be accurate) all my life and I have learned more here in 2 months than I would have learned from reading many more books.  Sometimes the human-touch is what is missing from books.  Books don't tailor to your concerns like a forum does.  So, it really does depend on where you are in your personal development.  Right now I gain more from seeing what is actually believed in by real people and receiving tailored-feedback from real people than by reading more of what is crystallized for posterity  in books.  But you need both.  Most people haven't lived their life in the books quite like I have.  I spent damn-near all of my twenties and all except the last year of my thirties entrenched within the four-corners of books.  So for me, I'm getting huge gains from participating on here.  Reading more books for me ain't gonna do much.

I don't think I would have ever learned about enlightenment as fast as I have had I not participated on this forum as much as I have (and having received the feedback I have received).  And enlightenment is one major, if not the major, key to personal development.   And that has allowed me to expand my personal philosophy in a way that I would have never thought possible from reading more books.  Books train you to be a conceptual mind-dweller, so watch out.  Real life is not in the books.  There's good and bad in everything.  What's appropriate or inappropriate depends on a specific person and their specific set of circumstances.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor Yeah you have a point... forums are customized whereas books are generic. 

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

My advice-

1. Aim for Big picture understanding.
  2. Adopt an abundance mindset.
  3. Get experiential.
  4. Become a self help junky.
  5. Commit to a life long learning of personal development. 

"Becoming 'awake' involves seeing our own confusion more clearly"-Rumi

On 8/10/2017 at 7:46 AM, -Rowan said:

Hi there, this is my first activity on the forum and I'm really looking forward to contributing to it.

I just wanted to ask you guys and Leo, how do you spot bullshit on the forum? I've read a lot of stuff on the forums and sometimes I don't know wether to take it as real or if it's somone just bullshitting away on their keyboard mentally masturbating about spirituality or other topics.

Any help will be much appreciated by me and probably a lot of newly joined members in the future, maybe "How to spot bullshit on the forum" could be a sticky?

Thank you so much,

-Rowan

I'm sorry I don't understand. Where is there something said that isn't bullshit? :P