Yeet

Visualizations, Why Can't I Visualize?

4 posts in this topic

I just recently started watching Leo's videos and I've decided I want to improve myself in any way possible. 

So I decided to start off by doing the practice known as "visualization", now since I'm new to all this stuff I'm struggling a bit and I don't know if I'm doing the practice correctly and I struggle to see images in my head I can barely visualize my own mother does anybody know how I can improve my visualation skills and how I can tell if I'm doing the practice correctly? Thanks. 

Some people are visual-based, others are hearing-based, and others are feeling-base. Some say "I see what you mean"; others say "I hear you", or others may say "I feel what you mean". Find out what you normally refer to when you respond to others.

Visualization is not just seeing. Images (symbolic impressions) created by the mind also include hearing images, and feeling images. I am sure there are others. So when you are asked to visualize something, imagine it with your particular reference base.

I used to struggle with the same thing too.

Visualization becomes stronger when you find ways to use it as you go about your everyday life.

I googled spatial reasoning hobbies and chose from them. 

I practiced how to draw realistic drawings. I remmeber some sports that needed visual attention. Whenever I read an article or a book, if there's something to visualize, I'd try to practice that. I visualized more in conversations and my studies. I visualized more as I go about my usual thoughts in the day. I'd try to look around me and try to absorb its image in my mind more. 

I've also tried making really bad doodles on my ideas. They're bad — but it actually allows you to deeply remember an image more. I've also tried mentioning more visual details in my daily thoughts and words — writing or typing it down.. You can do this specifically with your visualization practice.

It might seem like a lot of effort for one technique but visualizing isn't just about motivation. I've found many studies that visualization allows better creativity, better memory, better logical skills and better problem solving skills. It's so flexible because it's another language. It's like if you learn any other foreign language, you'd get access to a better understanding of the world. The visual language is deeply embedded to this world and it allows you to understand it more. But in general — the more awareness of your senses, the more you become aware of.

Take care.

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates

Concentration meditation may help. You may be not able to concentrate and that's why you are not able to concentrate on your imagination. Imagination is a very powerful too.

You may start seeing more emotional movies or something that is inspiring to you. It works for me. It also works for children usually. Children can usually draw cartoon or anime characters without taking drawing classes because it is emotionally more appealing to them. Likewise when you find something that is visually stimulating to you in the real world you will also be able to imagine and draw better. 

I also think that mindfulness with labelling and concentration meditation is very helpful for increasing concentration. You may also use the Sedona Method to release any unresourceful  emotions that you may be suppressing.

"Becoming 'awake' involves seeing our own confusion more clearly"-Rumi