Milos Uzelac

Falling Down On My Back When I Tried To Do Sds For More Than 40 Minutes

8 posts in this topic

I feel stupid posting this and I hessiated posting a trivial personal problem such as this , but I dont know how to solve this issue. I have been slacking off on doing vypassana longer sits on my since I havent planned on external circumstances and people that would inhibit me in setting aside 1-2 hours a day to do SDS. But when I started again, apart from having usual mental chatter and images, I started drooling from my mouth and would fall down on my back unconsciously after 40 minutes. I had a sort of a catharsis few weeks ago when I wept after siting  for a longer period, but couldnt get any solid  insight for why I was weeping. But since then it was just mental masturbation for 40 minutes.My aim is to be able to do shadow work with this since I have suppressed a lot of my problems and sins towards others and my self. I want to get a catharsis on all these suppressed feeling and then act on them towards others that I hurt.

So not to bore with this, my question is what do I need to do to improve my sitting perserverance,durability. Should I do samatha breathing concentration before I sit longer or should try to split  vypassana sits during the day.

Also what are the best schedules for meditation apart from periods when I know nobody will call me or distract me. Early in the morning or before bedtime?

Thanks to all setting the time to reply and read this.

"Keep your eye on the ball. " - Michael Brooks 

Try sitting in a chair, if you don't already. Sit comfortably and do wim hof method before SDS or wash your face with cold water, that helps a lot. You will be more alert in matter of seconds. 

As far as your schedule goes, you know that better than anyone, but I can recommend installing break free app or some kind of app of that kind that rejects calls and notifications so no one can distract you. Sretno! ;)

Having no destination, I'm never lost. - Ikkyu

4 hours ago, Milos Uzelac said:

I feel stupid posting this and I hessiated posting a trivial personal problem such as this , but I dont know how to solve this issue. I have been slacking off on doing vypassana longer sits on my since I havent planned on external circumstances and people that would inhibit me in setting aside 1-2 hours a day to do SDS. But when I started again, apart from having usual mental chatter and images, I started drooling from my mouth and would fall down on my back unconsciously after 40 minutes. I had a sort of a catharsis few weeks ago when I wept after siting  for a longer period, but couldnt get any solid  insight for why I was weeping. But since then it was just mental masturbation for 40 minutes.My aim is to be able to do shadow work with this since I have suppressed a lot of my problems and sins towards others and my self. I want to get a catharsis on all these suppressed feeling and then act on them towards others that I hurt.

So not to bore with this, my question is what do I need to do to improve my sitting perserverance,durability. Should I do samatha breathing concentration before I sit longer or should try to split  vypassana sits during the day.

Also what are the best schedules for meditation apart from periods when I know nobody will call me or distract me. Early in the morning or before bedtime?

Thanks to all setting the time to reply and read this.

Realize that the goal of SDS is not  to run up your time score of sitting still, like a video game. That's more of a result.

The goal is actually to bring up as much resistance as possible while staying mindful.

For instance, I could sit very comfortably doing SDS on my nice soft bed for 1.5 hours. Maybe more. But if I were to do SDS while sitting on an uncomfortable rock in the blazing sun, that would be much harder. I'd might only last 15 minutes.

So I'd actually much rather make SDS as hard as possible than do things to make it easier. Making it easier defeats the purpose.

The more you stay mindful when the resistance comes, the more you will emotionally release. And that is how you will be able to sit for longer periods of time.

Side tangent, if you have problems with people disturbing you with meditation than you 1) need stronger boundaries and need to let people know you're not available because you're meditating and 2) should try in the morning before you talk to anyone

On 8.8.2017. at 11:54 PM, Danielle said:

Try sitting in a chair, if you don't already. Sit comfortably and do wim hof method before SDS or wash your face with cold water, that helps a lot. You will be more alert in matter of seconds. 

As far as your schedule goes, you know that better than anyone, but I can recommend installing break free app or some kind of app of that kind that rejects calls and notifications so no one can distract you. Sretno! ;)

Hvala! Thank you will try out with  this advice in the future. If I can only ask if are you from any ex-Yugoslav country in the Balkan Peninsula, so to have an easier communication in the future. Again thanks for the advice!

On 9.8.2017. at 3:28 AM, aurum said:

Realize that the goal of SDS is not  to run up your time score of sitting still, like a video game. That's more of a result.

The goal is actually to bring up as much resistance as possible while staying mindful.

For instance, I could sit very comfortably doing SDS on my nice soft bed for 1.5 hours. Maybe more. But if I were to do SDS while sitting on an uncomfortable rock in the blazing sun, that would be much harder. I'd might only last 15 minutes.

So I'd actually much rather make SDS as hard as possible than do things to make it easier. Making it easier defeats the purpose.

The more you stay mindful when the resistance comes, the more you will emotionally release. And that is how you will be able to sit for longer periods of time.

Side tangent, if you have problems with people disturbing you with meditation than you 1) need stronger boundaries and need to let people know you're not available because you're meditating and 2) should try in the morning before you talk to anyone

Yeah thanks a lot for the advice about schedule and the insight about mindfulness during the meditation. I would also like to go on a vypassana retreat outdoors to try out what your saying for myself but I currently havent found any organization for such retreats currently in Serbia (my country). Suppose I might try that solo if see an oportuinity during my holiday. Anyways thanks again for the advice.

4 minutes ago, Danielle said:

@Milos Uzelac yes, I'm from Croatia! Drago mi je sto nas ima s Balkana. :D

I also understand this, I'm from Balkana too! Drago mi e :D 

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

17 hours ago, Danielle said:

@Milos Uzelac yes, I'm from Croatia! Drago mi je sto nas ima s Balkana. :D

Super bas mi je drago. Nego mogu li da te pitam da li postoje ili da li se organizuju vypassana odmaralista kod vas posto sam primetio da su Hrvatskoj na primer (barem meni deluje mozda gresim) ljudi dosta otvoreniji i zainteresovaniji za meditaciju,jogu i za ostalu istočnjačku praksu. Hvala unapred na odgovoru.Puno pozdrava :)