Extreme Z7

What's Wrong With Game Of Thrones?

25 posts in this topic

I always thought it's a game of ego really. It's fantastic and exaggerated at some points, but much more realistic than Harry Potter or LOTR kind of fantasy.

Reasons why I think A Song of Ice and Fire is great: 

1. You get to see ego at its finest (Cersei, Olenna etc) as well as what I call the monk state (masters, Samwell Tarly etc)

2. There is no purely good or evil character.

3. Fate is what you make it but not always.

4. Karma works in ways we can't fully understand (in fact what Leo talked about in an early video about Karma matches very well with Cersei and Jaime's state of mind in the last episodes.)

I remember that Leo said he saw fiction as a waste of time, so maybe that's why he included GoT in this frame of thought. But I do believe in the power of literature and story telling as a part of personal development.

To me, it's a series of closely packed low-consciousness emotional climaxes. When I quit watching, I can't help but feel that the current reality is much less exciting, even bleak. It's the same reaction I get to online gaming. I watched episodes 1 - 5 of the current season. It took 1 or 2 days I think to let my subconscious detox enough that my focus was not as easily pulled towards GoT thoughts. I decided not to watch more until the season is complete for this reason.

So, what's wrong with it is that it's very distracting, even more so beyond the hours that it takes to watch it.

But ... I keep the shows there for "one of those days". I want to see where the story ends eventually. One can but hope that there'll be some positive message at the end of this all.

Edited by Huginn

@Huginn I don't think it's realistic to hope an ending with a positive message from GRRM. His intention was never to give messages other than that it's a chaotic world and nothing is as seems. 

I really understand your emotions though. I've known some people who are obsessed with some sort of fiction or RPG games. Consciousness is the best solution in my experience.

Art imitates life and vice versa. It's like any other engaging piece of art, it captures the essence of being. 

Specifically, most shows or movies have very simplistic / black & white storylines, characters, and plots. There are good guys, there are bad guys. On GoT and Breaking Bad, the lines blur. The show is one of the few that highlight the gray areas of life. When we see the dark aspects of these great heroes, we are able to accept them in ourselves. 

I got bored out of that show, it became too repetitive like most shows these days after a while i can anticipate everything that will hapen with limited spirals it eventually becomes too predictable. If you really want interesting watch star-treks and similar shows sci-fi that are not bound by earth laws and ideas. They will keep you expanding and not in the same social loop IMO.

Same thing for suits, it was a great show at the start but eventually becomes the same shit every episode and easily predictable with merely slight touch up on the next and from experience with shows and movies your whole life you eventually witness an endless loop that does nothing for you but just creates more unnecessary subconscious patterns that don't really do anything for growth and expansion of consciousness.

Great lack of creativity in media in general these days, eventually everyone will become aware, more intelligent and it will die out sooner than expected IMO especially if they keep making these same shows/movies with similar ideas.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E