Extreme Z7

What's Wrong With Game Of Thrones?

25 posts in this topic

For the record, I have not yet watched Game of Thrones or plan to anytime in the near future. But Leo's occasional criticisms of it combined with its massive popularity makes me think about it every now and again. What exactly is about this particular TV show that's so interesting?

I'm interested in finding answers to this through a personal-development perspective. What are the social and psychological values that Game of Thrones espouses/aggrandizes? Some comedy shows I've seen like to joke a bit about nudity , beheadings, and sex when they talk about Game of Thrones and I kind of see that as a red flag. But I'm interested in a serious analysis.

'course, I could just watch the show myself but I ain't got time for that, mate.

Edited by Extreme Z7

You know it's epic in a bad way when comedians joke about it. That should be the hint. ....;)

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

It does hint towards many God's and a wall to keep out or keep in a confusion of existing man fighting over throne. 

Fighting for who will rule without looking or belief that there is more out side our small box of comfort. 

Not that the books or t.v. will answer any questions only the signs of our duality in this 3rd dimension.

You know what's crazy, I don't even know what this is.  Shows how out of touch I am.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

It's an amazing and beautifully shot show. If you havn't seen it I would recomend checking it out. 

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

@ParanoidAndroid

This isn't the classic action show with sex and violence, Game of Thrones is popular as it is because of the depth of characters, each having their own story and ways of thinking. The decisions characters are put to make, the way they make the decisions based on the 'best' possible outcomes, etc

@Extreme Z7 I recommend you to read the books if you want to get into the story and the pure depths of it, it shapes your character, but if you want it quicker, still most certainly 'self actualizing', take the time and watch the show.

Also another self development recommendation (Books only so far, rated better then Game of Thrones).. "Name of The Wind". There's 2 books, 3rd one should be out by the end of 2017 and they'll make a series afterwards. The book is pure art, it changes how you view life and the world. Its as if it was written from real experience completely, even though it isn't (At least partly.)

The book is very slow, its mostly conversation based, there is action but it takes time to get to it. Unlike Game of Thrones that focuses on revealing all the story behind the main characters, this one (At least the first part since i haven't gotten to the 2nd book yet) only focuses on the main character, "Kvothe", there is a few hints here and there about side characters, but this is a 'biographical' novel.

6 hours ago, Joseph Maynor said:

You know what's crazy, I don't even know what this is.  Shows how out of touch I am.

Me too buddy. But doesn't matter..What we do here is more important. That is anyways not our cup of tea. 

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

What's wrong is that they have multiple Gods in and that is not in line with my belief-system on God Almighty.

No, seriously, it's a great show for chimpry-time, but I think they have had issues with the structure and development of the story line, not very fluid and a bit messy. Last season they had like 5 directors or something, and are therefore lacking good dramaturgy. But then again, great characters and acting job. A lot of hotness and beauty appealing to your low consciousness sex drive. I think they are moving to fast in this season, and are either "hiding" the good stuff or it just blows in your face without the nice build-up of tension. It's like a good fuck or kiss without the build-up, which makes it even greater. So I feel a bit less content after an episode. The release comes to fast before the tension to build-up. I know this wasn't the reply you was hoping for... 

It's very emotionally appealing and stimulating. Once you start watching it you won't leave it in your life time unless you raise your consciousNess or get enlightened lol. 

GoT is vast. It has action, story, drama, war. But that is the problem. It is over stimulating. 

I watched it and I don't want to watch it again. But I want to finish watching it. 

"Becoming 'awake' involves seeing our own confusion more clearly"-Rumi

Because it's filled with drama, rape, murder, sex, violence and political stuff.

It's not bad, it's quite amazing actually, but for a very neurotic and egotic person, it just feeds their heads with more drama that will activate more drama and so on, just like any show/news ...

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

no ever show can have some social or educational purpose, if you don't like it then it's only your problem

PS there are many even worse tv show that ppl watch for insance Californication

@Samuel Garcia You know what's crazy?  I still don't know what it is haha.  Most people would have at least looked it up, right?  Not me.  I have no connection to mainstream media.  I cut it all out, like 98% of it.  It's all toxic.  I can dream-up enough in my own life, I don't need other dreamers encroaching on my space and diluting my drink.  How can you hear the still-small voice if you are up your eyeballs in stupid shit?  I did that nearly all of my 20's through to my late-mid 30's haha.  No mo!  My goal is only to implement my own dream now.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I do like the show on the on hand because of all the plots it does a lot of things brilliantly, for example the red wedding episode is brilliant and shocking.

On the other hand there is no one to root for in this series, almost everyone has evil motives and the few that you can root for are hopelessly naive and powerless, it is a world without any hope there is too much misery incest,betrayal of friends,child murder,exploding heads,torture, and you just almost hope for a god in that universe that destroys the whole world and resets it.

granted i did not watch last 2 seasons because again i just found noone to root for.

How different is that with for example in lord of the rings now that is a world that is horrible but there is always some hope left you always feel that while GOT is just a spiritually barren wasteland and dead in every way at least that was my feeling about it.

I really wonder if some u guys feel that way as well about it.

I think that Game of Thrones is magnificent! Try looking at it with a "non-dual point of view".

You think this series would be fun without all the darkness? (White Walkers, murder, rape, Ramsey Bolton etc.)

Hell nah.

Now you could use this for your own ego deconstruction process. Don't try to be one of the characters of the story that experiences this darkness (pretty much fucked up!). Try to be the story. Be the good and the dark. Be the movie. And the screen. And the characters. Be all that.

Game of thrones actually helped me in my process through this lol

What is bad about "wasting" your time and energy watching something like GoT instead of doing something more helpful or productive? I thought that's quite obvious. There are way better ways to relax if that's what you want to do. Not to mention if you won't stay aware it will influence the way you think.