Shin

I Just Noticed ...

15 posts in this topic

That I can't read without having a voice in my head reading.

Why do I even need a voice reading, why can't I just see the word and understanding what it means ?

That's actually very interesting, the simple fact that I didn't notice untill now is the proof.

It seems impossible to stop, but the impossible will be possible, JOIN ME !!!

challenge-accepted-funny-signs.jpg

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Shin very interesting. i tried it and failed really hard. and i bet you just failed too. xD

unborn Truth

8 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

@Shin very interesting. i tried it and failed really hard. and i bet you just failed too. xD

I thought when you totally dissociate with the ego it should be easy.

THAT'S EVEN MORE INTERESTING !!!

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

18 minutes ago, Shin said:

Why can't I be my inner voice?

57 minutes ago, Shin said:

Why do I even need a voice reading, why can't I just see the word and understanding what it means ?

That's actually very interesting, the simple fact that I didn't notice untill now is the proof.

challenge-accepted-funny-signs.jpg

I have noticed when my mind goes elsewhere and not on what im reading.  Like in meditation when im trying to read nothingness ?

I only notice that I have been daydreaming instead of paying attention quite late sometimes 

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

@Dodo  Please pay attention without dreaming. And walk without walking. Accept the challenge. 

If your mind is wandering too much, don't forget to fly. 9_9

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

It's called subvocalization. Eliminating it is a common speed reading tactic. I trained myself to read without subvocalizing for a while but I slipped back into the habit. I found my best reading was done when I was able to practice discernment and subvocalize when useful, such as when trying to imagine the inflection of someone's voice or trying to set the tone for a passage and eliminate that at other times, such as when sifting through ordinary prose.

I find it best to let go.. Let the text read first as an inner child reads first and your reality reads as follow.  Understand i say that the child or voice is only to outsmart as the ego fills the mind to believe its smarter than the reader.. Now as we read along you hear the voice now you read in your dialogue of understanding. 

Out smart the voice. ( inner child). Truth is always in our heart. 

Those who have eyes to see and the ears to hear... Hmmm sounds familiar Yeshua.

2 hours ago, username said:

It's called subvocalization. Eliminating it is a common speed reading tactic. I trained myself to read without subvocalizing for a while but I slipped back into the habit. I found my best reading was done when I was able to practice discernment and subvocalize when useful, such as when trying to imagine the inflection of someone's voice or trying to set the tone for a passage and eliminate that at other times, such as when sifting through ordinary prose.

I read a book on "rational reading" that trains one to read quicker and as you said, this is one of the main techniques.  Also, not going backwards with the eyes to read a word again. 

@Shin does your tongue also make mini movements as you read? As if trying to say the words? I usually make sure that my tongue is nice and relaxed as tongue is linked to our thoughts. 

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

19 hours ago, Shin said:

I have noticed this too... it bothered me for a while but I gave up. One practice that I came up with to (maybe) correct this is to visualize the numbers 1-100, while subvocalizing the numbers 100-1. It is also a powerful exercise in concentration. (And I never made it past 1/3rd of the exercise)

I have also noticed that I can't listen to people talk without repeating the words in my head simultaneously. This REALLY bothers me. It's more noticeable if there is a delay in repeating the words, sometimes anywhere from a split second to a full second behind the person talking. This has really hurt my ability to listen to people.  But it could just be one of my mental problems, like ADD. 

Edited by starsofclay

@Shin I remember making the same observation myself about 5 years ago.  When you read written text you will see that you are really reading aloud the words in your mind.  So, it's the vocalizations that are more primary than the written marks.  This even applies to mathematics.  2+2=4 is sounded-out.  This is a major insight.  

You might read some Derrida.  Derrida was an interesting and often misunderstood philosopher who was interested in these issues.    This is a cutting edge issue, not much explored.  Even Derrida was too focused on oppositions, which both helped him and screwed-him-up in equal measure.  But he's worth reading.  You'll clarify your own view when you see why his view is wrong.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

You can definitely train yourself out of it, and as mention in a previous post, it's a method used for speed-reading. You can end up just almost kind of defocusing your sight and looking at sentences in chunks, and without internally vocalizing it you digest it. It's a really useful technique if you do a lot of reading, and of course you can always slow down to regular pace for more effective absorption of information, as speed reading doesn't necessarily allow time for processing. It doesn't take that long to learn. I learned it one evening and practiced it and found I wasn't very good at it. Months later I tried again on a whim and it was suddenly really natural without having put in any extra time. I bet with a few days practice it can become effortless for most people. It also makes you feel like some kind of sherlock holmes genius ninja because it feels like you're scanning through the lines and just downloading information.  

There is a theory by a psychologist called Baddeley. He said that our working memory uses a phonological loop to recode visual information into an auditory articulation while reading. 

Try writing down everything somebody is saying to you without repeating those words in your mind. You can turn this into a meditation practice. I have practiced this a lot while in school and it's powerful.  It's harder than speed reading.

2 hours ago, AleksM said:

Try writing down everything somebody is saying to you without repeating those words in your mind. You can turn this into a meditation practice. I have practiced this a lot while in school and it's powerful.  It's harder than speed reading.

it would definitely be a good practice... this is probably why I was so horrible at taking notes in college lectures... If I were to do this, I might start with a podcast or something