How to be wise

Can We Make Scientific Breakthroughs With Contemplation?

17 posts in this topic

Can we contemplate to solve 'unsolved problems' in science? 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

That's the only way you can do it, Einstein himself admitted every new discoveries he made come from insights.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

Just now, Shin said:

That's the only way you can do it, Einstein himself admitted every new discoveries he made come from insights.

But science is itself just a model and not really 'true', and contemplation reveals the absolute truth about it.

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise Contemplation doesn't just reveal Absolute truths, it also reveals relative ones.

I have a strong suspicion that the mechanism of evolution is insight at the cellular level, not random mutation. The same insights happening in your mind are happening within individual cells, which is the source of creativity.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

11 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I have a strong suspicion that the mechanism of evolution is insight at the cellular level, not random mutation. The same insights happening in your mind are happening within individual cells, which is the source of creativity.

@Leo Gura Microtubul's are an interesting subject. Some theorize that they may be responsible for biological consciousness. 95 % of our genetic code is not yet understood. You gotta wonder what may be hidden there and has yet to be discovered about our past and future.

quote-every-one-who-is-seriously-involve

Einstein-on-God.jpg

5fcecca745a61ba3849a69078d5d0f04--quotes

6d2cc1424469bd0eaed1314174c7645a--the-my

0d0c33b579459d8981ba20de5b829fd8.jpg

8f3abeb0a9dd94e886bd50cd83a90632--philos

Best%252520Stephen%252520Hawking%252520q

@Leo Gura Then tell him ;)

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

@Shin Except gravity isn't nothing. Lol. Where did gravity come from? Some scientists really don't know how to think.

6 hours ago, cetus56 said:

@Leo Gura Microtubul's are an interesting subject. Some theorize that they may be responsible for biological consciousness. 95 % of our genetic code is not yet understood. You gotta wonder what may be hidden there and has yet to be discovered about our past and future.

I will add an amazing book about evolution to my book list in the future. It's a real paradigm-buster.

@Leo Gura That sounds like it will be a good one for sure. 

Here's a thought too. Space itself could provide a sort of hibernation or suspended animation for genetic material to be spread throughout the universe. Sometimes planets collide. Or take a massive direct hit from an asteroid that could eject genetic material high in the atmosphere into space. It is possible that we hitched a ride on the back of a comet or asteroid, or meteor from another location to be here. Who knows, maybe we have distant relatives living in another part of the universe- no pun intended.

@cetus56 Of course that's possible, but it doesn't answer the question of how life originated in the first place in the universe. It had to start somewhere.

It's more plausible that it's all a story in the mind.

Wait, what if gravity is Love and Hawking is right. 

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

11 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@cetus56 Of course that's possible, but it doesn't answer the question of how life originated in the first place in the universe. It had to start somewhere.

@Leo Gura Life started as a potential out of nothingness along with an infinite number of other possibilities.

@cetus56 Don't be too quick to answer every question with, "God did it."

Origin of life is a good question for science to answer.

Origin of life is the truth I was after before starting spirituality.  I ended up at "something to do with the moon and the ocean waves". ?

But now I see this question as irrelevant, but who am I to say what is relevant. ?

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

22 hours ago, cetus56 said:

@Leo Gura That sounds like it will be a good one for sure. 

Here's a thought too. Space itself could provide a sort of hibernation or suspended animation for genetic material to be spread throughout the universe. Sometimes planets collide. Or take a massive direct hit from an asteroid that could eject genetic material high in the atmosphere into space. It is possible that we hitched a ride on the back of a comet or asteroid, or meteor from another location to be here. Who knows, maybe we have distant relatives living in another part of the universe- no pun intended.

That's called the panspermia hypothesis, I'm not mistaken.

@How to be wise That depends on how we define science.  In a way, self-inquiry is science because you are finding empirical ways to determine that beliefs you cling to lack foundation.  It's applied phenomenology.  Now, you can argue that this ain't science because hypotheses aren't verifiable by another person.  But this is just semantics.  The bottom-line is that self-inquiry work is at a minimum quasi-scientific in its aim at truth through direct experience. There's just no verifiability since we can't crawl inside each other's minds.  However, we can assume we are all talking about the same stuff because we can talk about it, but without certainty. Science loves certainty.  Self-inquiry has a lot of arrows pointing in the direction of being a scientific inquiry.  But there's also some distinctions that can be drawn.  Lack of verifiability by another person of the proposed hypothesis is a huge one.  Science doesn't like that.  Science likes the idea of above-board verifiability, no shenanigans.  Scientists tend to  think mystics and other wacky theorists (from the scientists' perspective) took one too many puffs off the magic dragon, if you know what I mean.  Fantasy airlifting a dying reality to higher love.  Cute, they say.  Very cute.  Keep dreaming junior, they snort internally.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I wrote a reply to this discussion but decided to post it in my journal instead (in case anyone is interested).