Joseph Maynor

Do You Ever Ponder The Duality Of Discourse, And How That Duality Limits Us, Helps Us, And The Degree To Which We Could Transcend Duality?

6 posts in this topic

Curious.  I mean, as soon as we start using language we are being dualists.  Why is that?  How do we see ourselves outside the matrix without dualistic thought rowing the boat, as it were.  It's like trying to cash a check with a slice of salami, it's a non-sequitur.

How can the monkey see outside the monkey all the while having the mind of a monkey?  Do you see the problem here?    

Should we wear duality like clothing, whatever suits the weather is fine?  I understand that my body is not my clothing, so no problem there.  Couldn't we do the same thing with duality.  Like a lot of self-aware, utilitarian monkeys dynamically balancing -- excellently I might add -- the primate infestation we call home-sweet-home.

Would an alien species see us as scurrying potato bugs residing under the dried bark ramparts of a fallen tree?   Or would that alien species see us as the majesty of God, or the Absolute?  How would this change how we view ourselves -- considering this higher-order alien perspective on us?  We're not used to contemplating like this.  Maybe we should start to reverse that low-consciousness denial.

How far can the monkey go to transcend his limited perspective, if at all?  And how do we know that we aren't rationalizing things that are totally made up and don't exist in reality.  Like a potato bug thinking it is the king of the world, until its life is destroyed one random day when an ornery kid rips that dried bark roof-top off his world and crushes his entire civilization in one brutish, seemingly irrational, low-consciousness act.

--Are we the potato bug, the Hero, or God, or all and neither?

--How does this contemplation exercise change how we view the potato bug and its infestation of a life?  If any.

--What is the true difference between infestation and civilization?  How would an alien species answer this if they got a glimpse of "Earth" and "life on Earth"? 

NOTE: All of this language is dualistic too and came out of the mind of a monkey, me.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

I think duality is useful as a way of having a reference point to what you are not, or as a mental exercise, of thinking what you are as opposed to what is not.

A couple of thoughts;

A monkey can't see outside of the monkey with the mind of a monkey, but may be able to see outside as a reference to itself, with the mind of another monkey.

Can you elaborate on being dualist as soon as we use language? I don't know about this idea

We are no-thing.  That is the answer.  But we like to play charades.  It's in our interest to play charades -- we don't want to live a painful reality.  We want to maximize goodness, from a certain perspective.  The mind can transcend monkey-ville, but the body has something to say about that.  So, we straddle both worlds, the human and the godly.  The solution is to realize all this is ideology.  You just need to get on that unicycle and dynamically balance these notions where they fit in with your excellent agenda.  Mindfulness on the mind is key. 

Edited by Joseph Maynor