How to be wise

Making Reality Feel Magical Again

20 posts in this topic

A while back Leo talked about how you can make reality feel magical again, and how you can experience things as if you're experiencing them for the first time. Does anyone know a practical method to achieve that. Any book referrals and website links are also appreciated. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

You can cultivate a sense of awe and wonder about the world. UC Berkley's Greater Good in Action website has some research backed exercises for cultivating awe. You can also find more info about this on their youtube chanel. 

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay

I've been feeling that magical vibe for awhile now. Daily meditation and pyschedelics is what did it for me, I take a trip once every month. 

I don't know exactly, but what I do on a daily basis is meditation and comtemplation of nature.

At some point it just happen and you can see the beauty of everything again.

Follow the course of Bentinho (in my signature), it happened around the same time, so it might be corrolated.

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

When (ultimately futilely) attempting to explain the psychedelic experience to someone who has never taken part, I often use the analogy "It is like seeing the world for the first time again". After a profound psychedelic experience (mushrooms are my psychedelic of choice) ordinary life can be filled with novelty. I look forward to waking up and going to work, and this is not a false sense of enthusiasm for life. This is a genuine feeling of being blessed with a new day and the opportunity to help people and to meet each challenge with zest and optimism. It is a genuine welcoming of change and growth. Praise be to the Mushrooms Gods for lifting the veil of illusion and monotony! lol :D

"it's all about love... making some else's existence just a little easier. Nothing else matters, I know this now."

-Terence McKenna
Last Words Interview

1 hour ago, Shin said:

Follow the course of Bentinho (in my signature), it happened around the same time, so it might be corrolated.

@Shin I listened to Bentinho 'What is Consciousness'. That one does answer the question, where is the magic of reality. Haven't listen to Bentinho for a while. Good stuff!

@cetus56  @5driedgrams @Shin @nightrider1435 Leo's trip report on the mushrooms explains pretty well what it is that I want. He said that he went to the toilet and collected some dirt in his hand, and he saw so much beauty in it, that he said it was the most beautiful thing that he had ever seen, and he prostrated to it. I want to know how I can live my whole life from that state. 

"Not believing your own thoughts, you’re free from the primal desire: the thought that reality should be different than it is. You realise the wordless, the unthinkable. You understand that any mystery is only what you yourself have created. In fact, there’s no mystery. Everything is as clear as day. It’s simple, because there really isn’t anything. There’s only the story appearing now. And not even that.” — Byron Katie

@How to be wise Total absorption into what is.

How much of the time can you stay there? That one is totally on you. There is no secret formula other than the love of being there.

Why ?

Also, messing up with lucid dream can help, reality isn't really the same when you are used to lucid dream and have done some consciousness work before.

You start to have the same consciousness in both, except that it takes longer to get what you want in this reality and there is no snake shooting fart through a pink wall in here, apparently.

13-kaa.jpg

Edited by Shin

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

9 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

@How to be wise Total absorption into what is.

What does that mean practically? 

8 minutes ago, How to be wise said:

What does that mean practically? 

Haha-Nothing at all. That's the Magic! Total absorption has no practical value. That's why the mind missis it every time.

10 minutes ago, cetus56 said:

Haha-Nothing at all. That's the Magic! Total absorption has no practical value. That's why the mind missis it every time.

Okay, so how can I use that knowledge. Or is it just philosophy. 

1 hour ago, How to be wise said:

@cetus56  @5driedgrams @Shin @nightrider1435 Leo's trip report on the mushrooms explains pretty well what it is that I want. He said that he went to the toilet and collected some dirt in his hand, and he saw so much beauty in it, that he said it was the most beautiful thing that he had ever seen, and he prostrated to it. I want to know how I can live my whole life from that state. 

If you want that, you need a very deep enlightenment.

Start with daily self-inquiry and meditation, and then start doing 10 day solo retreats. By the end of one retreat, you should start to get hints of magic.

Your mind needs to become very very present.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura How much time after daily self inquiry and meditation is it smart to do the first retreat ?

15 minutes ago, Ilya said:

@Leo Gura How much time after daily self inquiry and meditation is it smart to do the first retreat ?

When you can meditate at home for 10 hours in a row, because if you can't even do that then you can't pull off 10 days somewhere else

@How to be wise You can do it right now-  Everything will become the magic happening.

Do you have a quiet place in nature somewhere around you? Go there sometime and sit with a quiet mind. Dissolve into everything by letting go. The sounds. The smells. The visual field of perception. See if all that doesn't heighten after the mind quiets down. Try closing your eyes and meditate on absolute nothingness. Than slowly open them again and allow existence to pour into you. If you allow it, some really amazing things can happen. This is no philosophy here. But don't take my word for it. Find out for yourself. 

Pretend you're watching a VR movie through your own body, if you get right everything becomes scary and fascinating. Like really scary and fascinating.     

39 minutes ago, Ilya said:

There's no hard rule here.

It would probably be wise for you to first do a guided meditation retreat first, like Vipassana, where you will have peer pressure on you to stick through the whole 10 days. Solo retreats require lots of self-discipline and planning. Otherwise you'll just quit when the going gets tough.

Start to unaddict yourself from all forms of media: TV, internet, phone, news, magazines, etc.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

On 3/8/2017 at 5:18 AM, How to be wise said:

A while back Leo talked about how you can make reality feel magical again, and how you can experience things as if you're experiencing them for the first time. Does anyone know a practical method to achieve that. Any book referrals and website links are also appreciated. 

I am nowhere near being a serious consciousness connoisseur, but I can tell you that back when I was in high school, I was the mentor of a group of 1st grade, so I would spend some breaks with them. When I did that, I played with them as if I was a little 1st grader too, and not as the mentor guiding them. I abandoned my entire 19 y/o identity, and fully acted as if I was just one more of them. That is the closest I've ever been to feeling reality as magical, and as if I was experiencing things for the first time.

I remember vividly a genuine feeling of excitement and fear of being found while playing hide and seek. It was as if a murderer was going to find me, but in an exciting way, as if it wouldn't have any bad consequences. Also the places at school became completely different, and if we agreed on a tree being the entrance to a magic world, it genuinely became the entrance of a magic world, and yes, I was 19.

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

- Herman Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel