Afonso

Letting Go Of Control In Day-to-day Life

6 posts in this topic

I notice that whenever I tune in to a state of awareness, sort of a meditative state, I can perform in the world without having to think about stuff. I notice that whenever I stop focusing on thoughts and rest as awareness, even outside of meditation, I can do daily activities just as well or something better. It’s like I don’t have to think about what I’m doing but I’m doing it anyway.

This state is very common to me when I’m relaxing, meditating or when I want to be present. However, I notice that by tuning into this feeling whenever I can, that my body unfolds and everything just unfolds without any prior thought to it. It’s quite astonishing. Can I live my entire life this way? One of the things that suprises me is that a characteristic of operating in the world in this manner is that I don’t really know what it’s going to happen in the future. I mean, someones strategy is still there and strategy is important. But on a more practical level, everything unfolds without really thinking about it.

For example, when I’m preparing food in the kitchen and I just tune into a more meditative state of being, I notice that everything gets done so fast and so easily that there’s no room for thought. And that thought isn’t really important for accomplishing what needs to be accomplished.

I’m going to try or, better, not to try but to be no matter what. Just resting in awareness in all the activities of the day. How much control can I relinquish? This is both frightening and enlightening.

-Sorry had to remove this post.

Edited by Dogsbestfriend

4 hours ago, Afonso said:

It’s quite astonishing. Can I live my entire life this way?

You already largely do. You just don't realize it yet.

Are you pumping your heart? Growing your hair? Digesting your food? Breathing? Creating blood cells? Or are all these things (plus an unimagineable number more) just happening?

Of course, you do make decisions. But who makes the decision to make that decision? And who makes the decision to make that decision? So on and so forth/

Where do your choices even come from? Do your choices just appear as a thought? And if they just appear as a thought, did you control that you would have that thought? And if you control that you would have that thought, did you control the thought that had that thought?

Or do thoughts just appear with no control from you at all?

Maybe everything is just happening. Maybe you're not doing anything at all, while simultaneously doing everything.

82eed8c9ae205e707bfa9413405c29aab1c546c7

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them

15 hours ago, Afonso said:

This is both frightening and enlightening.

It's only frightening if you think about it isn't it? :D

Yes be in that state always and see what happens imo.

@Afonso Ι know exactly what you're talking about. Here is what Jed McKenna has to say on this:

"If you take your hand off the tiller, the boat will steer itself and do a vastly better job of it than you ever could."

"Fear and ego—in other words, ignorance—are keeping your hand on the tiller. Release the tiller for whatever reason, and the steering takes care of itself."

"To explain this I have to say something about the way my mind works—the way I view and move through life. Simply put, I don't think. I don't make choices or decisions. I don't weigh possibilities and select one over others. Instead, I observe patterns and move with them. I have a refined sense of tightness and not-rightness that guides me in all things. No decision in my life is made through ratiocination. I wait for unfolding. I sense currents and I flow with them. You don't have to be enlightened to operate this way; you just have to release the tiller. Once you do, an entirely new way of flowing through life opens to you—a way that is based on tightness and sensitive to not-rightness. So when I look at my own life, my own story, I look for the pattern, the unifying theme, the sum of the parts that explains my existence."

"I've watched much smarter people than myself, much braver people than myself, break their ships fatally on the rocks because they were too full of themselves to release control. This stuff isn't about brains and balls, it's about desire and flow and purity of intent."

Take some time to contemplate the above. Letting go is fucking scary and takes time, not for any other reason, but because you're used to the opposite and you have identified with thinking and being in control. Not only is it possible to live your entire life like that, that's the only way to live. When you are caught in thought stories, you are not in the present moment but in your own imagined fairytales.