JustinS

Self Inquiry And Vertigo

6 posts in this topic

Been feeling these nauseous vomitty feelings in my stomach whenever I go more and more prior or meta. If I try to self inquire who it is that's feeling these sensations I get more uncomfortable physical sensations? 

What are some suggestions to deal with this? It would be quite nice to just vomit it out. 

Side question: Would the intense experiences of purging such as body tightening and expelling release any energy blockages, stored tensions, or surface level fears? 

I've had this a lot too. Still experience it sometimes.

For me it was fear that I tucked away in the past coming to the surface. That is sometimes not only on a mental level, but also a physical one.

When you allow yourself to experience it, however bad it feels, it will slowly subside and leave you with beautiful peace.

GL :) 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

Likely suppressed energy/emotions/trauma

When digging deep and hitting certain emotions or subjects I have gotten nausea and all kinds of strange pains and feelings. For me usually they usually have a very bizarre quality.  The nausea for me feels very localized to a specific area or organ as opposed to the softer more 'generalized' nausea of non other experience.

The key here is to just allow it and be with it. Allow the nausea to be there and breathe through it. You may not be able to work through it all at once so when it comes, be grateful for an opportunity to uncover and dissolve inner garbage. Just be okay with the the potential that it will arise in your practices. In time it will dissolve and be out of your experience. 

Release the resistance to the experience. Funnily enough you may also notice that you have resistance to not having it. You may wish for it to come up fully, or you may have a frustrating feeling of inability to fully dive into it. You may feel that you really wish you could just puke it up but there is a sensation of being barred. It doesn't seem to want to go away, and yet it doesn't seem to want to fully come up either. That is a kind of polarized resistance, so consciously let go of needing it to go away, and consciously let go of needing to dive fully into it, too. This will allow for most effective release. 

Also be mindful of using self-inquiry and other techniques as distractions from simply being with it. Simply choose to be with it. If your self-inquiry is causing any further thoughts, mind-stuff or sense of 'doing/looking' then it is distraction and resistance against the more simple act of being with it. 

Often the sensations and experience will get heavier and more intense as you start to allow it. That's a good thing. 

6 hours ago, Arman said:

It doesn't seem to want to go away, and yet it doesn't seem to want to fully come up either. That is a kind of polarized resistance, so consciously let go of needing it to go away, and consciously let go of needing to dive fully into it, too. This will allow for most effective release

@Max_V It lasted for about 2 hours last night and I couldn't sleep. The sense of nausea felt like my own fear of the infinite. Either that or I've been watching too much fractal videos lately. 

Thank you, I'll try to dive into it next time but if that prevails I'll simply let it be. 

@JustinS Be very careful though, if you dive in recklessly you mighy overwhelm yourself to such a point that it is traumatizing, again, I've made that mistake too:D

Be very gentle and slow with it. Be sensitive and notice when it's becoming too much. Then focus on the breath and stop untill it feels valid to go again. 

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus