Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shanmugam

Gems Of Wisdom From Tao Te Ching

6 posts in this topic

Here are my favorite lines from Tao Te Ching:

Tao (The Way) that can be spoken of is not the Constant Tao’, The name that can be named is not a Constant Name. Nameless, is the origin of Heaven and Earth;

Tao is so profound and yet in invisible, It exists in everywhere and anywhere. I do not know whose Son It is, It existed before heaven and earth.

Can one unite the body and the spirit as one and embrace the “Oneness” without departing from the great Tao? Can one achieve harmony with such gentleness by holding on to the true spirit within as if the innocence of an infant? Can one free oneself from worldly knowledge and cleanse one’s mind, so that no faults shall be made?

Thirty spokes unite around one hub to make a wheel. It is the presence of the empty space that gives the function of a vehicle. Clay is molded into a vessel. It is the empty space that gives the function of a vessel. Doors and windows are chisel out to make a room. It is the empty space in the room that gives its function. Therefore, something substantial can be beneficial. While the emptiness of void is what can be utilized.

This “Oneness” is not much brighter in the sky, as It is not much dimmer on earth. It is not more glorious in a saint as It is not more fainter in an ordinary person. It is everlasting and cannot be named. It is the original void of “non-being.” This “Oneness” is the Tao which is invisible, and formless. It may be regarded as vague and intangible.

All things and beings will eventually return to the original source. This is called “peace.” “Peace” means returning to one’s original nature. This original nature is the eternal law. To know the nature’s law is to be enlightened.

When Tao is manifested, names were given for the purpose of distinction. But one must know how to attain the original pureness in order to avoid danger and disaster.

One who knows other people is wise. One who knows himself is enlightened. To overcome others is strong. To overcome oneself is the will of power.

He who is enlightened with the original nature, Although dies physically, is eternally united with the everlasting Tao.

A man of superior virtue is not conscious of being virtuous, hence is truly virtuous. A man of inferior virtue performs for the purpose of virtue, hence he is not virtuous. A man of superior virtue acts without action, and performs with his true nature. A man of inferior virtue acts with intentional effort.

When a superior man heard of Tao, He cultivates himself diligently. When an average man heard of Tao, He is doubtful, vague and would give up halfway. When an inferior man heard of Tao, He laughs and thinks of It as foolish. If Tao is not being laughed at, It is not the Great Tao.

All beings bear the negative physical form which is represented by Ying, and embrace the positive true nature which is represented by Yang. With the union of these two, they arrive at a state of harmony.

One who knows what people do not know, Is a person of enlightenment. One who pretends to know what he is ignorant of, is at fault. He who is aware of what he does not know, shall not be at fault. Therefore, a saint is flawless for he is aware of what he truly knows and what he knows not, hence he is flawless.

Edited by Shanmugam

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1 

@Shanmugam do you have more. This is amazing. Keep them coming. 

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

@Shanmugam 

If any one should wish to get the kingdom for himself, and to
effect this by what he does, I see that he will not succeed. The
kingdom is a spirit-like thing, and cannot be got by active doing. He
who would so win it destroys it; he who would hold it in his grasp
loses it.

The course and nature of things is such that
What was in front is now behind;
What warmed anon we freezing find.
Strength is of weakness oft the spoil;
The store in ruins mocks our toil.

Hence the sage puts away excessive effort, extravagance, and easy
indulgence.

The Tao in its regular course does nothing (for the sake of
doing it), and so there is nothing which it does not do.

If princes and kings were able to maintain it, all things would of
themselves be transformed by them.

If this transformation became to me an object of desire, I would
express the desire by the nameless simplicity.

Simplicity without a name
Is free from all external aim.
With no desire, at rest and still,
All things go right as of their will.

He who knows (the Tao) does not (care to) speak (about it); he
who is (ever ready to) speak about it does not know it.

He (who knows it) will keep his mouth shut and close the portals
(of his nostrils). He will blunt his sharp points and unravel the
complications of things; he will attemper his brightness, and bring
himself into agreement with the obscurity (of others). This is called
'the Mysterious Agreement.'

(Such an one) cannot be treated familiarly or distantly; he is
beyond all consideration of profit or injury; of nobility or
meanness:--he is the noblest man under heaven.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

1 hour ago, Shanmugam said:

But these are the ones that I found to be very good; These are also similar to advaita.

What books would you suggest on advaita vedanta? Do you know any clear introduction to it?

By the way I love the Tao Te Ching as well, this is one of my favorite quotes from it: 

Things arise and she lets them come;
things disappear and she lets them go.
She has but doesn’t possess,
acts but doesn’t expect.

28 minutes ago, Brivido said:

What books would you suggest on advaita vedanta? Do you know any clear introduction to it?

By the way I love the Tao Te Ching as well, this is one of my favorite quotes from it: 

Things arise and she lets them come;
things disappear and she lets them go.
She has but doesn’t possess,
acts but doesn’t expect.

Check out this book, it is free: http://www.adhyatmaprakasha.org/Volumes/PDF/english/017/index.pdf

This book is published by Adhyatma Prakasha, started by Satchidanandendra Saraswati. He was a vedantin and sanskrit scholar who dedicated all his life for the Vedanta sadhana and attained Brahma-jnana. He was known as a Jivanmukta sage. Swamiji authored some 200 works, and he dedicated his life to teaching about the pristine pure Advaita Vedanta philosophy of Shankara. He did a lot of scriptural research to bring out the true method taught by Shankara.

The above book is not directly written by Swamiji. His works are advanced. All of his books are available for free here: http://www.adhyatmaprakasha.org/php/english_books.php

Shanmugam 

Subscribe to my Youtube channel for videos regarding spiritual path, psychology, meditation, poetry and more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwOJcU0o7xIy1L663hoxzZw?sub_confirmation=1