Viking

Why Most Daily Meditators Arent Enlightened?

13 posts in this topic

What distinguishes between a daily meditator and an enlightened person?

There are A LOT of people who are meditating daily (tony robbins for example) and are not nearly enlightened. Am I missing something? is it the consistency that most people lack? something else?

Who told you, that you need to meditate to get enlightened?

Meditation won't make you enlightened, but it will make it more likely ;)

The most important thing is the desire and intention for enlightenment. Everything else is secondary.

@Ilya Most meditators are softcore. They don't meditate for radical existential insights. They meditate at the psychological level, for relaxation, stress reduction, good mood, etc.

Meditation is not as direct as self-inquiry.

Enlightenment through meditation usually requires long retreat-like settings. Meditating for 1 hour a day is nothing. You'd need to do 10-20 hours a day. Day after day after day.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo GuraI know it can seem presumptuous but I feel like I reached some level of enlightenment. And I haven't been 'meditating' long, however.... I've always been super introspective-in a sense meditation. To a point I couldnt drawn the voices out, over time I evolved it into meditation. Never did 10-20 hours though.. however guess depends how you look at it. Now I do it everywhere I can. The change in me is so drastic, I feel the old me is someone else entirely... though still me. The energy i feel tingling in my head sometimes - at times it feels like a cold sweat, but soothing.

Edited by Dogsbestfriend

1 hour ago, Ilya said:

What distinguishes between a daily meditator and an enlightened person?

There are A LOT of people who are meditating daily (tony robbins for example) and are not nearly enlightened. Am I missing something? is it the consistency that most people lack? something else?

I will tell you what my problem was.

For a long time I was just counting breaths and trying to calm the mind. Now I have incorporated more contemplation type of work and expecting the results to be more promising in terms of Enlightment. Which brings me to the conclusion that I just don't think most people meditate to achieve Enlightenment. Someone told them it will do them good so they sit.

NB my "daily" meditation is not always daily but you get the gist

36 minutes ago, Dogsbestfriend said:

I know it can seem presumptuous

it's not presumptuous as long as your daily experience of life is consistently conscious and content.

no more existential fear of death; no more impatience; no more self-sabotage; no more greed, anger, jealousy, anxiety, regret; no more thirst for spiritual knowledge and a complete surrender to the unsolvable mystery of the mental-immaterial present moment.

unborn Truth

They sit for 20 minutes, an hour, and then what? They go about their day exactly as usual. As Leo said, just meditation is not that powerful unless you maintain that awareness day after day after day. They don't approach meditation with an open and investigative spirit, but see it as any other activity. Plus they don't have even theoretical understanding of the possibilities that could crack their mind open. That's my two cents.

Edited by Markus

14 minutes ago, ajasatya said:

it's not presumptuous as long as your daily experience of life is consistently conscious and content.

no more existential fear of death; no more impatience; no more self-sabotage; no more greed, anger, jealousy, anxiety, regret; no more thirst for spiritual knowledge and a complete surrender to the unsolvable mystery of the mental-immaterial present moment.

It blew my mind away when it first happened, it was exactly what I knew I was missing. It's the most incredible thing that's ever happened to me. It has given me now so many questions and yet given me one answer that always counts too - 'Just be'. 

Edited by Dogsbestfriend

@Ilya Meditation can be used for avoiding the truth or exposing it. The enlightened, by definition, are no longer stuck in ignorance. That is, they know the truth.

To meditate, or practice introspection, to reveal your own core truths requires facing ALL your fears about self and its association with the world you walk through. It's not about relaxing to feel good, it is about relaxing to be vulnerable and exposed (as contradictory as that sounds). That is why the word 'faith' is often used to explain that contradiction.

To come across an enlightened person is like finding a diamond in the rough. It's rare.

34 minutes ago, Mastral said:

I will tell you what my problem was.

For a long time I was just counting breaths and trying to calm the mind. Now I have incorporated more contemplation type of work and expecting the results to be more promising in terms of Enlightment. Which brings me to the conclusion that I just don't think most people meditate to achieve Enlightenment. Someone told them it will do them good so they sit.

NB my "daily" meditation is not always daily but you get the gist

I think I was super lucky, I had no idea what enlightenment was. Not having that urge or need to achieve it, I think that made it easier for it to happen.

I would wager that all of the moderators are more enlightened than me.

21 hours ago, Dogsbestfriend said:

I think I was super lucky, I had no idea what enlightenment was. Not having that urge or need to achieve it, I think that made it easier for it to happen.

Good karmic roots B|

On 24/07/2017 at 5:00 PM, Ilya said:

Why Most Daily Meditators Arent Enlightened?

because they want to achieve something.

maybe they're feeding their spiritual ego, trying to become special.

maybe they're trying to achieve some intellectual comprehension, diving in mental masturbation.

maybe they're simply not practicing meditation at all.

Edited by ajasatya

unborn Truth