PetarKa

Stuck In Time

13 posts in this topic

So I've been contemplating deeply  recently and I came to the following conclusion: If all there is is existence and consciousness, and every single "moment" in time is just a particular experience / moment of consciousness, then how does it make any sense to do things in the present moment with an intention of achieving something in the future e.g. when I pick up the toothbrush to brush my teeth a couple of seconds into the future? Or even making plans and strategizing about my life? How does it make sense when the only thing "we" have is THIS PRESENT EXPERIENCE? Why would "I" want to improve the quality of my future experinece when they aren't connceted in any particular way? This goes for both short-range and long-range intentions. I hope this makes sense.

Because of this logic, I cannot move myself to do any kind of action whatsoever except sitting and lying down (OK, I am exagerating a bit). I feel like I'm breaking some kind of rule when I do sth that is intentional (for the future) e.g. writing this post, walking somewhere, turning on the PC, sitting down to meditate, etc.

Would love  to hear your thoughts. ?

It's not about improving the quality of your future experience, but about improving the quality of your present moment, as I see it. The breath you take now is depended on the quality of the prior breath you just took. There is never any future, there only exist this present moment right here. But if you're not able to be in peace in this present moment, then strategizing, meditating ect., makes sense for improving your present moment. When "future" comes it will be a present moment as well.. just my thoughts, interesting topic ??

Why study for a test in school that is coming in the future? Why even brush your teeth if they get dirty again?

Yes, metaphysically, time is a strange thing. But you do not want to get your mind stuck in that headspace and use it as a crutch for inaction.

Look at investing, building a business, studying for a test, learning a new skill, etc. It's work you put in now that definitely DOES effect the future. Our minds have a hard time really accepting that 10 years from now will eventually become the "now" moment.

@poimandres 'Life' is living one moment after another. Otherwise 'life' as we know it ceases. Then again, it is this ceasing (like in meditation) which reveals other than the 'life we live'.

49 minutes ago, Visitor said:

@poimandres 'Life' is living one moment after another. Otherwise 'life' as we know it ceases. Then again, it is this ceasing (like in meditation) which reveals other than the 'life we live'.

Maybe I don't understand @PetarKa's post? I believe he was wanting some objective opinions about his outlook on his ideas about time. By his current belief, he doesn't see the value in changing his current behaviors to effect future "now" moments because he doesn't believe they are related in any way. We could argue different philosophies, but it would end no where.

Please elaborate, maybe I'm not understanding?

@poimandres Sorry poimandres, I meant to click on PetarKa '@ User' button.

Nevertheless, my point was that he may wish to do nothing, but life is the result of one moment to the next regardless if you did nothing. Generally, if nothing changes, nothing changes, but that is not so because we do get older. But by ceasing the concept of time in yourself, there is a chance that another concept of time, and/or life, may be revealed. Such as a life of timelessness. Some call the Spirit life as a life of eternity.

In other words, while thinking about self, and this world, we become slaves to the concept of time 'ticking away'. By ceasing/pausing the train of thought, we effectively pause time, and then a knowing happens which cannot be explained by reasoning (a time process). It just is. And that IS, is as definite as a truth is. It cannot be broken down like the concept of time can.

So while we are alive in this world, we might as well play with this concept of time. Play with it to create something, like making a sandwich to eat for lunch. Or just sit still and try and stop breathing. While we are alive, time is difficult to escape from, so we might as well play with it while we can.

Bump.

Does anyone else have any insights on this?

@PetarKa

Linear time is an illusion BUT past and future exist now. Past and future are a different parallel reality and You are shifting trough realities. So You (consciousness) is shifting trough the future and past moments that exist now. Everything is projected into the now moment.

This is difficult to explain.

I honestly don't believe we're stuck in time. The past and future of course exist, but only conceptually. We use these concepts like tools, just like all other concepts. When we brush our teeth, not only do we pick up the toothbrush (a physical tool) but also pick up the concept of the future that our teeth would be clean in when we brush them (a mental tool).

The main fallacy that we can fall victim to is we tend to abuse those tools. When all you have is a hammer, everything would look like a nail to you. When you fight fire with fire, you end up making a bigger fire. That's exactly why meditation is super useful when we're feeling stuck. When we meditate, we temporarily put down those mental tools and we go back to the workbench, and sometimes we end up crafting completely new tools (gaining new insights).

I don't see this as something that means that there's no purpose to action. Instead of doing action for the sake of the future, I want to act upon things for the sake of the present. 

Act for the sake of acting. Learn for the sake of learning. Appreciate for the sake of appreciating. Doing something for a future that is coming is more of a guide to what to do in the present than the final trophy. 

Because often when you achieve a goal, you get tired of it and move on to dreaming for the next big thing. People are often impatiently waiting for something. And impatience isn't always shown in clear frustration or anger, it often can be there even in subtle ways if you take a look.

Why wish for something that doesn't last when you can appreciate the present you're always in?

“The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” 
― Socrates

20 hours ago, AleksM said:

@PetarKa

Linear time is an illusion BUT past and future exist now. Past and future are a different parallel reality and You are shifting trough realities. So You (consciousness) is shifting trough the future and past moments that exist now. Everything is projected into the now moment.

so the way "my" life will turn out to be is. has already happened?

Real eyes, realize, real lies.

@sweater Yes. You are basically a program. This program projects itself onto the now. Your living in this projection. Most people do the same thing every single day because they are unaware that they are a program. When you start becoming more aware of the program than you can change the program, but ultimately you Will never rid yourself of this program.

@PetarKa Your thread tittle may as well be my nickname...lol...but I'm not really feeling very philosophical today....I'm in survival mode...so you just get the basic no flowers attached version of my response...of course, present moment = savour + explore+ presence...but life is rather empty without dreams for the future....we all know the expressions about not dwelling in thevpast or future....but, if one can dwell in the present and dream of potential delights to come as well, that seems ideal....we all have to brush our teeth...perhaps sometimes the sensation of the bristle massage, the rythmic sound, and boldly envigorating minty-ness fully captivate you (paste advert, lol...)....perhaps other times, it's a subconscious task that can be performed without conscious thought offering  you some time to dream of amazing futures....maybe someday you will master both in unison...does it matter?