Arman

Eft Is Effortless And Highly Effective

12 posts in this topic

It is not a tool I would suggest as a means to liberation or self realization, but I think it is an easy tool that anyone can add to their toolbox for easy and fun immediate relief or expansion in one or many areas of their life.  Allow me to explain. :)

Part 1 of this post is is really all you need, but I have added elaboration for those who want more information in part 2. 

Part 1: Introduction

EFT or Emotional Freedom Technique is a practice that involves tapping parts of your body while being guided, either by yourself or someone else, through an emotional problem or subject in your life in order to release the energy behind it and experience relief and expansion in that area. 

Years ago I remember stumbling upon a few guided EFT videos on youtube and thinking it was ridiculous and I dismissed it as bullshit for the gullible because I thought it looked wishy washy. How could lightly tapping parts of your face and chest and saying some words possibly help? I figured people are getting relief through placebo. Although back then I was still armed with skepticism and pride, I did try it a few times. Each time I was very stunned at how effective it was for me. I used it on anxiety and fear and each time felt complete relief. What was a mystery to me was that if it was a placebo, why was it more effective than anything else I had tried for relieving these tensions, even compared to my meditation practices? I used it once or twice more through the years in times of turmoil, each time with great effectiveness and relief, only to forget about it after its use. 

Today, my personal perspective is that emotional energies are the primary culprits that keep us from being happy, free and expansive. Or rather, it is are inability to deal with and process these energies that stop us from effortless living. 

But before I go on and bore you with further details and thoughts, why don't you try it for yourself? This is one guided practitioner I like. Scroll through his videos until you find one that you feel meets a current struggle, emotional disturbance, etc. Drop your preconceptions, judgements and thoughts temporarily (don't worry, you can pick them back up right after ) and try it out. 

---------------------------

Part 2: Q&A

Q: Why would this wizardry work, and are you an idiot? 

A: A great deal of our behavior and how we feel is a result of reactivity to emotions held within the body. These emotions are sometimes obvious and easy to identify like anger, fear, or anxiety. Other emotions are more subtle energies. Sometimes entire energy structures of emotions are built upon simple beliefs or assumptions that we have adopted long ago. Due to their uncomfortable nature and our ignorance of what to do with them, these emotions become buried and suppressed. While hidden from conscious awareness, they become energy saps and are constantly emerging to the surface of our experience through the areas of health, relationships, abundance/purpose, and spirituality. Much of our behavior stems from simply avoiding or escaping these emotions, and entire problems and belief systems are constructed upon these things. 

The way of releasing and dissolving these emotional energies is simple: awareness and releasing resistance. These energies are held because at some level we believe that are useful. As Leo says, awareness alone is curative. When we know they are not serving us, they automatically release. Often the release and healing of inner energies and life subjects feels like a gargantuan and intimidating task. The truth is that we have built these subjects up like a child builds fear to the imaginary monsters she perceives in the dark. The primary pain and struggle of life is not the energies themselves, but our resistance to them. When we drop our resistance to our resistance, often we may be pleased to discover that the root is not difficult to deal with at all. These are many practices that allow one to be present with emotions and energies to allow for their release. EFT is one effective method that methodically shifts one into a state of allowing. Even simply acknowledgment of our emotions can produce tremendous results. 

And I might be an idiot, but it is up to you to decide if it is effective and worthy of use. 

Q: Ok, but what's with the tapping? That's nonsense, right? 

A: Maybe. Maybe not. As I moved forward in my journey and became more familiar with other practices and consciousness work, I started to understand why EFT might work, at least on the level of allowing emotions, though I still could not understand what the tapping had to do with anything. I thought: Maybe it's purely placebo but helps to create an air of ritual and give the practitioner a sense of 'doing' more to create investment?

Eventually I became more familiar with how the energies of the body move in relation to emotions and beliefs. This understanding came through a combination of study and first hand experience. In the West, we give all our attention to the physical body and primarily believe that emotions, thoughts, our personality system and consciousness exist mostly or entirely within the brain. Eastern health and medicinal systems place much more attention on what are referred to as subtle energies. Here it is useful to examine the meridian system which is a paradigm of energy movement throughout the body that is reflectively interconnected with our psychic (of the psyche) existence. This structure suggests that all thoughts, emotions and beliefs have an impact and a corresponding imprint upon the functioning of our energy body, and therefore our experience. The meridian system is a system of energetic superhighways throughout the nerves and organs of the body. Our health, spontaneous creativity, expansiveness and effectiveness are the spontaneous and effortless result of the movement of life energy throughout these pathways. It can be also be thought of as light and natural intelligence coursing throughout us; each complex structural pathway corresponding to certain levels of function, expression, corresponding organs and energy centres known as chakras.

As we are born into this world we adopt belief systems through other people, as well as through traumas and highly charged experiences. This causes us to sever parts of ourselves and push it down because at some level we believed that if we did not, we would not survive. These belief systems and emotional traumas manifest as blockages within the meridian system. We stifle energetic pathways. If energy does not move through, the experience and behavior is blocked off. The energy system that is completely flowing results in a radiance, joy, perfect health, effortless experience of connectivity and love. One is effective in all endeavors that they pursue. The blocked and stifled energetic system results in resistance, fear, pain, struggle, grief, ineffectiveness, inability to connect with others and endless permutations of health issues. 

Much of the spiritual journey involves the purification of the body/energetic system so that higher orders of function can be grounded. We block off higher experiences, success, love, etc because it would mean an increase in life energy into spaces that we have blocked off. This causes discomfort which results in self sabotage in order to return to our 'comfort zone'. Blockages can also occur through the form of fixated energy as a result of intense desire, or intense aversion to a subject. Grounding non-dual awareness as an integrated and constant experience is the natural result of a purified energetic system. This is why from a linear framework, self-realization has demanding and enduring physiological counter-parts that as far as I know, cannot be bypassed. Hatha yoga, pranayama, reiki, accupuncture and many forms of healing massage are examples of methods that work at the level of subtle energies. These energies can be released through many methods, from physical, to psychological, to more subtle based intention of consciousness. Ie. simply choosing to let go. 

The tapping of EFT likely has roots in the stimulation of the meridian system which facilitates release and energetic flow of the meridians. I sure took the long way around of answering that, didn't I? 

Q: I tried EFT on a subject and feel relief, but won't those feelings or my problem just eventually return again?

A: Releasing at the energetic level is an effective way of creating permanent change. Some subjects are highly charged and will require multiple releases, or in the case of more intense subjects, might require some long-term dedication. We have a lifetime of suppressed emotions that can take time to fully release, but that doesn't mean we can't experience the immediate benefits of releasing our resistance and attachment to them, and experiencing the shifts in our outward experience as even deceptively subtle releasing can create large butterfly-effect like impact on our lives. Therefore while your emotions or issues may return in time, you will have made improvements and it is another opportunity to release. By experiencing the gains and shifts as a result of release and integration on subjects, it provides further motivation to release through EFT or other practices. Eventually these reservoirs do end. On a lot of smaller issues, the problem simply won't return. 

Other times it is possible that entire longstanding problems on any subjects can heal with miraculous speed, even within minutes. This is because entire frameworks of belief and emotions can be built upon a single point of experience. When that is dissolved, everything that was built upon it crumbles. If much of your behavior is built upon the feeling of being unworthy, then even a small amount of release on that reservoir of feeling can have large impact on your life. Don't take my word for it, these are just words. Find out for yourself. Discover for yourself how easy progress can be. 

Q: Is it necessarily to use the specific framework of EFT, like the tapping and the talking?

A: No, EFT is one way to release energies, but there are many ways. Mindfulness is one example of a practice that automatically allows for release because it is a non-resistant form of awareness. While engaging in mindfulness however, there are many layers of subtle resistance and emotions that we are not fully aware of. That is why practices that are specifically intended for release can be very effective, because it equips us to let go of them and allows for deeper diving. Simply knowing that we are able to release and be free of our negative emotions is a big step. The fundamental thing that is tying all progress, healing and growth together is the act of release. Growth and expansion is not the result of doing, but rather of undoing. It is revealing the true unlimited nature that lies beneath all limited programming. When we release the energies that create our illusions of separation and smallness, then we become more in tune with our true nature. Energetic release can be engaged through prayer, all forms of yoga, through confession, through journaling to become more in touch with your emotions, through self-inquiry, or any variety of means. What is important is that you find a method that works well for you and use it consistently, so as to achieve the most positive results. 

Q: Do you have any suggested reading on the subject?

A. The books that have helped me along the way and that I usually suggest are the works of Eckhart Tolle, The Presence Process by Michael Brown, Letting Go by David R Hawkins (I suggest his other works, too), The Work by Byron Katie. 

Q: Are you sure you're not an idiot?

A: That's it, I'm PM'ing Leo. 

Q: How often should I practice, and how can I get the most out of these ideas?

A: I suggest you practice as often as you can and like. The more we practice, the more effortless and enjoyable it becomes. Sometimes hitting deep emotional hurdles can cause an uproar of resistance that will cause us to stop wanting to release. The ego is very tricky, particularly when we start to dissolve it. The effectiveness and speed at which we move from our current state to expanded states of freedom is directly proportional to our level of commitment to being free. My suggestion is to pick a practice that works for you and stick to it for an extended period of time until you start to achieve measurable, results that are UNDENIABLE. This will provide motivation as well as experiential understanding. You will develop your own insights and framework of how and why this stuff is so effective. 

Thanks for all the information. EFT tapping was recently recommended to me and I have been looking into it. Pretty much everything you said corroborates (and even expands upon) what it is and how it possibly works. I take it as a vote of confidence!

I recently (inadvertently) triggered some sort of awakening process (kundalini? - I'm really not sure) after trying ayahuasca for the first (and last!) time, in an attempt to gain some clarity on my life direction. In this state where my whole system seems to be getting flooded with extra energy - it is extremely ungrounding and the whole thing has been quite hellish, from feeling like I've been losing my mind, to just completely unmanagable and overwhelming emotions. I believe a lot of suppressed stuff is being driven to the surface. I was very naive and didn't really understand the magnitude of the physical and energetic components of spirituality - my whole mind/body system has been in complete turmoil for months. It was recommended to me that traditional advice to ease such an experience such as yoga, meditation and use of crystals (not so sure on that one) will actually make things even more uncomfortable because they are charging your energy even more, when you're already overloaded, leading to even more ungroundedness - which causes its own plethora of issues.

Anyway EFT Tapping was highly recommended as a way to deal with and release all the stuff coming up, because it is a very grounded and efficient method that can be used on pretty much any issue (apparently).

On 24/07/2017 at 8:42 AM, Arman said:

This is why from a linear framework, self-realization has demanding and enduring physiological counter-parts that as far as I know, cannot be bypassed.

This really resonates with my recent experiences and some tough lessons I've learned. I was getting way too ahead of myself and focusing purely on meditation, absorbing all sorts of information on spirituality, while finding it harder and harder to deal with some of the more day to day aspects of life. I'm actually quite concerned now that a lot of people might be following Leo and other Youtube teachers and all this material and shooting straight for Enlightenment and other advanced stages of development, without growing their roots first - I think this could be what leads to all the spiritual horror stories and things like depersonalisation and such (which I've had the misfortune of dealing with). I would also say now (after learning the hard way) to stay away from psychedelics unless you are very grounded!

In hindsight, I think myself and probably about 90% of the people watching the youtube videos probably think they are way more stable / advanced / have a more mature ego than they actually have, so any disclaimers and such probably fly over our heads. I thought that because I had been meditating fairly regularly for a few years and had saved up a good bit of money, that I was ready for some of this stuff, but it was quite the rude awakening I was in for. With working and day to day responsibilities, I (and imagine many others) only have a certain amount of time to dedicate to studying all the material - we end up watching a video on "Have an Ego Death experience", "How to have an OBE" or "Open your 3rd Eye right now!" - with no idea of the dangers of what we might be opening ourselves up to, psychological or otherwise.

These were my personal learnings anyway, for where I am at.

@Gavalanche Thanks for sharing 

Funnily enough i had an experience that mirrors yours a few years ago now. I was already worryingly ungrounded at the time due to misuse of a system of kriya yoga I was practicing. Energy work seems to have compounding and delayed effects that can occasionally blindside you. I took an analogue ayuahasca and it was severe to say the very least. Like you, the following weeks and months was quite a nightmare and it took some time before my brain chemistry and energetic body healed itself. I agree that most energetic and spiritual practices seemed only to make things much worse. In my case it was really a few years before I could even meditate again without becoming moderately unbalanced for a few days. 

Kinda funny that we both share a similar experience. It was really an awful time and I didn't know what had happened to me or what to do about it. I only had one friend online who was into spirituality and I was clueless to the vast scope of this stuff so I just kinda entered hermit mode for a good while until the healing did itself. 

Eating well, exercise, and being very careful with taking on new practices - that's all I recommend. Prayer and any alternate healing are also recommended, if you're into that. Regardless of how messed up you feel, trust me that the body and mind are excellent at restoring function and then some. You'll be okay man. Focus on the things you enjoy in life. 

Edited by Arman

Great Insights. Maybe if you use fewer words, than you could understand it better, and people too. Less conceptualizing and more practicality. 

5 minutes ago, Quanty said:

Great Insights. Maybe if you use fewer words, than you could understand it better, and people too. Less conceptualizing and more practicality. 

Ya you're very right. It's something I've become aware of. Have always struggled with being needlessly verbose and keeping things concise. The original post is a year old, these days I try to edit down a lot more. I appreciate it. 

Edited by Arman

Did it for last two days and i felt so good. Eft is good. When you are very mindful you can understand this technique is good.

Edited by Harikrishnan

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

I will be waiting here, For your silence to break, For your soul to shake,              For your love to wake! Rumi

@Arman Thanks for the words of encouragement! Sorry, I'm only seeing your message now, but it's still most welcome!

Glad to hear everything balanced out for you eventually. It does sound like you went through something eerily similar! Must have been difficult with less info available / no-one to talk to. Although I've probably been dealing with too much information to sift through and still hard to talk to many people about it! :P

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

@Arman

this works! I also use this from time to time and I just did it again as I opened this topic, what a relief!

such a relief!

Stellars interact with Terrans from ÓB (Earth’s Low Orbit).!

In af on this.  Have seen about this for a long time and it always seemed like something that could work, but I've never really tried it.

Tried it a bunch yesterday and it felt great.  On top of that, I woke up at night feeling unusual anxiety and worry... Clearly these are negative emotions being released!  (Right?)

Anways, thanks for the share and inspiration!

“Curiosity killed the cat.”

On 6/1/2018 at 6:10 AM, Gavalanche said:

This really resonates with my recent experiences and some tough lessons I've learned. I was getting way too ahead of myself and focusing purely on meditation, absorbing all sorts of information on spirituality, while finding it harder and harder to deal with some of the more day to day aspects of life. I'm actually quite concerned now that a lot of people might be following Leo and other Youtube teachers and all this material and shooting straight for Enlightenment and other advanced stages of development, without growing their roots first - I think this could be what leads to all the spiritual horror stories and things like depersonalisation and such (which I've had the misfortune of dealing with). I would also say now (after learning the hard way) to stay away from psychedelics unless you are very grounded!

In hindsight, I think myself and probably about 90% of the people watching the youtube videos probably think they are way more stable / advanced / have a more mature ego than they actually have, so any disclaimers and such probably fly over our heads. I thought that because I had been meditating fairly regularly for a few years and had saved up a good bit of money, that I was ready for some of this stuff, but it was quite the rude awakening I was in for. With working and day to day responsibilities, I (and imagine many others) only have a certain amount of time to dedicate to studying all the material - we end up watching a video on "Have an Ego Death experience", "How to have an OBE" or "Open your 3rd Eye right now!" - with no idea of the dangers of what we might be opening ourselves up to, psychological or otherwise.

Thank you for pointing this out. Very relatable.

“Feeling is the antithesis of pain."

—Arthur Janov