IVONNE

How Do You Find Your Own Talents?

7 posts in this topic

Hello. I hope your all doing well

I sometimes wonder...

As they say 'find your talent'

what do people exactly mean by that exactly. in what terms. I see talents as something you do it naturally and it could be at anything. Be it professionally or socially , collectively

can anyone give me their views in what a talent looks like or what a talent is. Iam curious

thanks

@IVONNE

This whole notion of finding your talent is a hoax in my opinion. It should be rephrased into: how can you find your life purpose? Talent accounts for less than 10% of your skill level at anything. Hard work and dedication  always trump talent in the long run. Rather than asking: what is my talent, you should be asking:  What are my top values? What is the impact I want to have on the world? 

When you can authentically answer these questions, you can find different niches that are related to your top values, your impact statement and commit to a life purpose. At that point, it is all about living in integrity with your life purpose and working hard, acquiring skills, becoming so good they can't ignore you. Then, with time and a lot of effort, people will come up you you and say: "hey, why are you so talented at x? How can I find my talent like you?" And you will just laugh and smile because you understand it is not at all about talent as much as hard work, finding your top values and your motivation behind why you began the journey in the first place. 

What Christian said is spot on.  He alluded to it in his post but to make it explicit If you haven't read Cal Newport's Book So Good They Can't Ignore You it is a must read on this topic. In short "working right" trumps "finding the right work".

Don't try to" find your talents".  It is not a very good strategy and can back fire horribly. Instead create a vision for your life, identify which skills are needed to make that happen, then develop a strategic plan on how your are going to deliberately practice and build up those skills.

This is what "talent"  ultimately looks like, its the product of hours of deliberate practice and dedication.  While this may seem obvious there are a lot of subtly ways we only pay lip service to hard work and dedication while what we really want is an effortless solution. This notion of finding your talent is one such way, it sounds close enough to reality (build talents) to be politically correct  buts under the surface the different implications are massively significant.  Here an article that talk more about what I'm saying: Secret Scents of Success

Edited by Space Coyote

@Christian but what if you don't have a desire to impact the world anyhow (or at least, you can't find it out) ? How do you build your life purpose?

They hit the topic of talent in this video. 

Hard work fueled by passion will always beat talent. Talent + Hard Work is unstoppable. 

To find your passion consider the path your mind tends to take when you are daydreaming. There is a good chance that that's where you find your passion. 

Anything another person can do is an example of your own talent within. No one is special or gifted, within we are all ultimately all capable of what others can do with practice comes perfection. Although i think by find your talent the best way to do so is do what brings you most joy and follow that, eventually you will thrive as you are living your highest excitement.

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

A talent is an predisposition to become good at something, based on how your individual body and mind functions. Like many others have mentioned willingness to practice is a better indicator of the degree of mastery you can expect to achieve, but that clearly don't mean that talent don't exist. Talent will determine both how hard you have to work, and how frustrating that work will be, in order to master some skill, and when you can expect to hit your skill sealing. An obvious example: If your muscles mostly consist of type 2 muscle fiber you will have a talent for spurting, but not for long distance running. Training to run a marathon will take much harder work than for someone with mostly type 1 fibers, and you will hit a skill sealing at a much lower level. The same is true for cognitive, emotional and social skills.

Many positive psychologists, including Martin Selligman, considers understanding and regularly using our talents as a major components of what makes life fulfilling.

The VIA Survey is the most well researched method of mapping out your own strengths. http://www.viacharacter.org/www/Character-Strengths-Survey

Other that that it's all about trying a lot of different things and be honest with yourself about what comes easy to you and what dosn't.

INSTEAD OF COMMUNICATING WITH PEOPLE AS IF THEY POSSESSED INTELLIGENCE, TRY USING ABSTRACT SPIRITUAL TERMS THAT CONVEY NO USABLE INFORMATION. :)

My first published essay