Viking

Isnt Being Aware In A "do Nothing" Meditation Is A Something?

14 posts in this topic

Ive been having struggles with do nothing meditation because i dont know whether i should be aware of the moment while doing the technique. if i do nothing i get sucked into thoughts obviously and then its very hard to keep awareness on those thoughts. from time to time during the meditation i realize ive been unconscious and thats it. i dont feel an urge to do something after that, it doesnt happen much that i get those urges. also isnt keeping awareness a something?

Haha, you are getting caught up in mind stuff. 

During the do nothing you just let go of control. Just watch how everything passes by :)

In the depths of winter,
I finally learned that within me 
there lay an invincible summer.

- Albert Camus

Great question.  I had the same one.  This video helped me find the answer.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Do Nothing meditation is about not doing anything intentionally. You (as you presently think of yourself) is the doer, it always does. For the doer there is no question between doing and non-doing. But there is a question of doing something intentionally or uninentionally.

[insert quote here]

@Ilya The point of do nothing is expose awareness. Awareness is good in this case. If only you were really aware, you'd be aware that awareness is Nothing.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

like sadhguru explains in the video 

there's alertness and awareness. I think what I activate to be aware of my thoughts is alertness, attention, while awareness is needed, which is obtained with time. Should I drop the alertness and just do nothing? How am i supposed to keep track of what goes on in my head without alertness?

7 hours ago, Ilya said:

Ive been having struggles with do nothing meditation because i dont know whether i should be aware of the moment while doing the technique. if i do nothing i get sucked into thoughts obviously and then its very hard to keep awareness on those thoughts. from time to time during the meditation i realize ive been unconscious and thats it. i dont feel an urge to do something after that, it doesnt happen much that i get those urges. also isnt keeping awareness a something?

Doing nothing is just being aware of what is happening moment to moment. There is no one being aware (as being aware is the natural state of being/awareness - ie like being nothing at all) so no effort required.

Edited by dorg

19 hours ago, Ilya said:

The main things you need to focus on with the Do Nothing technique are; let go of all control and intention to do anything EXCEPT whilst also maintaining a completely non-judgmental awareness of what is going on. Yes technically this is doing something, but it's very important that you remain aware and don't have a lazy, unfocused attitude. But getting lost in thought is just part of the process, atleast in the beginning. It's always going to happen until you become a much better meditator. There's no stopping it by force, you have to slowly re-wire your brain. Don't get annoyed or frustrated when you realise that you've been unconsciously lost in thought. That realisation is the most important part! As soon as you realise you've been lost in thought, bring your attention back to the present, be hyper aware, and do nothing. Easy!

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

@Leo Gura @Space

So normally when I do the Do nothing technique I see phenomenons arise and passing away within "the sphere of unintended awareness". But then after I read your posts I tried to zoom out while meditating, so that I were aware of how "the sphere of uninteted awareness" moved around in the mind and body. From the feeling of my feets to my thoughts, to the sounds of holosync etc.

Is that still proper Do nothing technique? Because awareness is a phenomenon as well, right? 

When I did this I could trace how " the sphere of awareness" moved round 1-2 times pr second. Eventually it went from 1-2 times pr second to 10-15 times pr second and further until I was total exhausted.  The funny thing is that after this mediation I think i entered som kind af concentration state. For the rest of the day only had like one thougt comming up every 5-10 min. Such a joy and blissfull day.

Another funny thing is that while I am writing this post I can see that you can trace your awareness into infinity? You can be aware of your awareness, but you can also be aware of that your are aware of your awarenes and so on.... please correct me if I am wrong. 

On 22/7/2017 at 1:31 PM, Leo Gura said:

@Ilya The point of do nothing is expose awareness. Awareness is good in this case. If only you were really aware, you'd be aware that awareness is Nothing.

Hey @Leo Gura, would you mind translating this into more practical terms? What do you mean with exposing awareness? What does that mean in terms of what we are supposed to do? Thank you!

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

- Herman Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel

@Mondsee Exposing awareness. So for example when you strip away all your identifications, beliefs and assumptions, what will be left?

Same way in do nothing, after a while thoughts get slower and eventually stop all together with full acceptance. 

What is left when there are no thoughts?

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

On 22/07/2017 at 4:53 PM, Ilya said:

May I suggest that you are always aware effortlessly. You are just not aware that you are aware usually. 

As Leo mentioned, as you go deeper in self-enquiry you will find that awareness is actually no thing or nothing. Now isn't that fucking interesting????? 

That, which knows everything in your experience,  you, is nothing... Now that's trully worth investigating further.. What could be more interesting?? Something that at the same time is and is nothing. Like wtf, this is sooooooooo interesting and what's best about it, its always there for you to contemplate,  because it is you.

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

@Dodo Really like your signature, Rupert Spira is such an amazing teacher in my opinion 

In the depths of winter,

- Albert Camus

@Ilya sit. Relax your entire body.  Head to toe. Several times . Back erect.

Breathe in your stomach. Focus on your breathing.

Thoughts arise

let them be free in your presence

let all things remain free in your presence

Your thoughts are your true master, their gift is that they allow you to be aware that your focus has left your breath

return your focus to your breathing, in your stomach

When you can maintain your focus, awareness simply arises, because what you are breathing is not simply air, it is spirituality.

Mind your focus on your spirituality.

Mindfulness, awareness, spirit.

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE