Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Maynor

How To Do Self Inquiry Properly And The Difference Between Inquiry And Debating Or Arguing

1 post in this topic

How to do internal inquiry properly and avoid the traps of externalizing this process.  How to keep inquiry squarely within the Self as Ramana Masarshi says.  What is the proper role or utility of arguing or discussing with others for self-inquiry work.  How might one sage assist another sage to do self-inquiry work without playing the role of an ideologue.  What are some common traps to avoid.

http://www.sriramanamaharshi.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/who_am_I.pdf

Excerpted from the article "Who Am I?" by Ramana Masarshi (see link above)

27. What is the difference between inquiry and meditation?  Inquiry consists in retaining the mind in the Self.

15. How long should inquiry be practised?  As long as there are impressions of objects in the mind, so long the inquiry “Who am I?” is required. As thoughts arise they should be destroyed then and there in the very place of their origin, through inquiry. If one resorts to contemplation of the Self unintermittently, until the Self is gained, that alone would do. As long as there are enemies within the fortress, they will continue to sally forth; if they are destroyed as they emerge, the fortress will fall into our hands.

Edited by Joseph Maynor