Joseph Maynor

Why Is My Awareness Often Correlated With The Physical Position Of My Eyes

6 posts in this topic

Is this my awareness, or is this an illusion?  Does this show that my awareness is often contingent on the position of my head?  This appears to be a myopic kind of awareness, not the majestic awareness that we like to think we are.

If I am not my body, why is my awareness so confined to being intimately correlated with the position of my body?

//

Leo described the Self as pure, transparent, empty awareness -- or presence.  The essence of the Self, or empty awareness, is to hold experience and all of reality.  The Self is not located anywhere.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Awarness of the ego is correlated with the eyes looking at one direction and staying absorbed in that tunnel of vision most of the time. Awarness of awarness is correlated with more peripheral vision. You notice more. When you have only the awarness of ego (or when you get stuck in this lower awarness) you tend to forget about that peripheral vision. So when your aware of awarness you are the whole Picture. Does this make sense?

visual-field-of-the-eye.jpg

Awareness is a space where all phenomena happen (I call it a space although it's not really a space). So anything you can be aware of is not it - including your sense of awareness correlated with the body. Feeling position of your body and visuals that you see are all phenomena that happen in field of awareness which doesn't ever move, it's a canvas of reality that's totally empty.

If you want to get rid of that feeling then self-inquiry focused on what you are actually feeling surely will help. Try to disassemble everything and see it for what it really is. That's the best that I can recommend based on my own modest experience.

On 20/07/2017 at 3:45 PM, Joseph Maynor said:

Is this my awareness, or is this an illusion?  Does this show that my awareness is often contingent on the position of my head?  This appears to be a myopic kind of awareness, not the majestic awareness that we like to think we are.

If I am not my body, why is my awareness so confined to being intimately correlated with the position of my body?

//

Leo described the Self as pure, transparent, empty awareness -- or presence.  The essence of the Self, or empty awareness, is to hold experience and all of reality.  The Self is not located anywhere.  

Taking a position (being something somewhere) is being in psyche/mind (effectively dreaming, asleep); IOW you are located.

Taking no position (not being something somewhere) is being awake, aware being, ie being; IOW you are not located.

A good way to make sense of it is to consider how video games work:

In a video game, like a first-person shooter, it seems like the player's view point converges on his eyes, but actually, the entire screen is rendered simultaneously. The avatar's eyes/body/brain in a video game is not responsible for what is seen on the screen, they are part of the screen. It's an illusion.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

15 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

A good way to make sense of it is to consider how video games work:

In a video game, like a first-person shooter, it seems like the player's view point converges on his eyes, but actually, the entire screen is rendered simultaneously. The avatar's eyes/body/brain in a video game is not responsible for what is seen on the screen, they are part of the screen. It's an illusion.

Got it.  One of the things I have to be mindful of is when the ego wants to sustain the belief that my awareness comes through the eyes.  I  need to expand Awareness to all Truth.  This can only be done through increasing Awareness and mindfulness, through "practice".

Edited by Joseph Maynor