JonathanG

What Are Some Effective Breathing Techniques To Alleviate Emotional Blockages?

6 posts in this topic

Hello all, I've recently been wanting to do some inner shadow work and some contemplation on my emotional problems relating to a stuttering problem that I have, but whenever I meditate I can always feel my breathing shallow and chest tense It really bothers me. I do some mindfulness and I try to just focus on the shallowness and just let it be while concentrating on it but it takes a while and I get distracted by thoughts. I think I should incorporate a breathing technique before my meditation so any suggestions? Thanks, :D. 

I'd recommend you research holotropic breathwork. I'm not exactly sure how it works but I know it involves deep breathing and deep emotional releases. Sometimes I've read as deep as our birth prenatal experience, resolving and finding closure there. 

I'm attending my introduction workshop for holobreathwork end of this month. 

http://holotropicbreathworkla.com/

Focus on your breathing as a primal goal of the meditation practice, when you drift away, bring yourself back and focus on it again.

Mindfulness tends to be much easier when you give straight, simple and direct orders to your mind. It may then become a focus meditation but you may try practising that and your body will adopt to proper breathing even when you slip into unconsciousness. Like a Linux, you can program your subconsciousness. 

Breath in through the nose in eight equal parts, then breath out (also through the nose) in one stroke. Do it for 11 minutes eyery day, for 40 days.

presence for an empty mind
compassion for a light heart
Life is the highest art

@JonathanG If you want to decrease the distraction of the breath, you can start to work out and by that lower your pulse. After a while you will be able to have a more shallow breath. You can also do a few rounds of the wim hof method and fuel your body with more oxygen before the meditation. All in all, doing nothing and letting go will naturally shift your awareness after a while.