Himanshu

Rookie Question: What Is Fashion For You?

7 posts in this topic

Please forgive me for asking one of the most ridiculous questions this forum could see as it grows. Butt(as for Butt Monkey), hear me out, there is more to fashion than it seems: fashion as a collective activity followed by individuals impression-ed upon by the media and the culture that they believe themselves to be a part of; AND fashion as an individual way of presenting themselves to the world - Don't you see there is a reason for Leo's being consistent in the way he appears to us? Oh, and if fashion seems too limited a word, let's broaden the question: What is style for you?

If you think this is not important, you're entitled to have an opinion, but this is inevitable, you see; we have physical bodies and for better or worse, we are a part of this world for a long time. We are a part of a system and let's be honest, the majority of the world's population don't see through the physicality and we interact with them on a daily basis. 

I see fashion as the "majority trend" - the mainstream, materialist and consumerist past time. I'm sure some fashion can be authentically enjoyable, but I'll admit my view of the industry is largely about status and business. It's a monkey's game, in my view.

In contrast, style is an "individual trend" - I have my style, you have your style. I think this can be materialistic and about status, but it can also be artistic and intuitive. Most people have their unique style quirks and idiosyncracies, and it may be important to the sense of identity that we hold, in a way.

I think they can either be important or unimportant, depending on your priorities. A person's style, whether it be of writing, clothing, speech or home decor can have meaning to the individual and also give insight to outsiders into their personality, desires, etc. - whereas fashion seems so dedicated to money and materialistic relation.

Style for me is about comfort.  I don't like how most clothes feel.  A tank top, jeans, belt, shoes.  Good to go.  Or a nice sundress.  I tend to wear my clothes until they are on their last leg.  If a shirt gets a stain or hole i'll use them as pajamas.  Jeans can be turned into shorts, and so on.  Don't have a good fashion sense, so I stick to basics.  I'm very modest with my style.

@Himanshu I think free, unique, expression in all forms is amazing...and clothing is art....but I find "fashion" to generally be a tool for conformity as @jwkspeck said...such as magazines that project what we "should wear", "this season"......that said, it can also be like an art show of fabric in a living moving performance art/ art show too...i'm feeling pretty open-minded on the subject today I guess...but I could just as easily slip into disdain for the overproduction/ sweat-shops, and darker side of the fashion realm...oh, i'm already slipping into it...lol....and the disposable low quality crap - just to "fit in"....i'm slipping further...stopping now...lol...

This whole idea that Fashion somehow matters is just a cultural rape. Our minds have been raped since we were kids with fashion trends. Nobody ever wants to be the weird kid, the one who wears odd clothes, we wanted to be liked, to blend it, to be like that other cool kid. Birds of feather flog together. Fashion is a genius masterpiece industry when it comes to marketing and salesmanship. They release crap articles to convince you that regardless of the garbage in person's head, the appearance is what matters the most. Than they give you SALES to buy it before it runs out. Summer sales, Winter sales, Black Friday, Last minute pre christmas sale, first after christmas sale. "Get it now, only now, best price on the market !!!!"Again it's only the cultural conditioning to be approved of, to be liked. 

I don't care about the reason. If someone is willing to spend 3K on a piece of clothing regardless of what it is made off ,that's a beautiful demonstration of completely twisted value system. Unless it is a scuba diving gear, hockey armour or something of that sort. 

That being said, we cannot obviously walk around naked, but to follow fashion trends and play the whole peacock game is a waste of life, time, money, energy. 

Last point, a bonus:
Majority of trendy clothes are made of artificial materials. When exposed to even medium heat but even if not, they seep chemicals and deadly toxins through your skin. Things like polyester should be avoided like a plague. Go cotton or linen if you can. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Simplified fashion should be normalized again. What else more do you need than a tunic, hoes (stockings), a good pair of boots and a woolen cloak for when it rains and is cold or a cotton one for warm climates. Maybe replace the hoes with some cargo-pant and if extra comfort is wanted wear some simple linen undergarments beneath.

Just look at what this guy is wearing. A dyed green cloak, A leather Jerkin, some form of tunic, dyed green cotton(or are they woolen) pants and some type of medevial boot.

Although, if you were to wear this today. You can imagine, you would probably get looks from people looking like this. (Even though to me it looks pretty stylish and practical, minus the bracers he is wearing which are speciffically for archery. (Or whatever it is he has on his arms)

If you ask me, I would wear this any day. You have to buy nearly all of it online. The most simple thing you can get in stores is a white t-shirt and some grey trouser pants.

Style is self-expression for me xD. I think you should not worry about fashion trends too much. You can create your own unique style for fun and self-expression. In my childhood, I just wore what my parents bought and that was the same stuff that the other kids have, so I didn't really know that creating an individual style can be so fun. I became experimental in my teens, just because it feels nice to me to alter my looks. It is like a form of art to me. Some people are also so tightly identified with their looks, so it can be an incredible experience to try being something totally different from the outside sometimes. I've questioned if looking unique actually makes me any "different" from others and I'd say no. For me, it is just for fun. Everyone should at least try looking a bit different for one day and see if that feels exciting. Enjoy life <3