Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shan

Meditation Posture

12 posts in this topic

Samurai Style Meditation :D i have had success with this technique in the past but i don't think its worth spending money on a product when pillows already exist :P I usually do it without that support product but if anything use a pillow or something?

Edited by pluto

B R E A T H E

Thanks @pluto

Did you find this posture better for both your knees and your quality of meditation?

13 hours ago, Shan said:

Thanks @pluto

Did you find this posture better for both your knees and your quality of meditation?

This posture helps keep my spine straight which is why i enjoy it sometimes. I used to sit this way growing up so the knees or calfs never really bothered me and if you are able to let go and get lost in meditation so to speak you will lose sense of the physical body altogether. If you have joint problems i would maybe look into supplementing or getting enough Omega 3/6s, Glucosamine rich foods and possibly addition to some anti-inflammatory herbs like turmeric daily.

I used to have joint knee and wrist problems as a teen but once i cleaned up diet and became more active everything healed up :)

Hope this helps

B R E A T H E

Sitting cross-legged is unnecessarily painful and uncomfortable.

I always use a chair. I don't care what people say.

If merely sitting on a lotus pose would do any good, countries like India would only have saints since regular people are used to sitting on the lotus pose. 

Hi @Gabriel Antonio

It's just not merely sitting on the floor in lotus or full lotus, but sitting this way during meditation could make the quality  of focus better compared to a chair where you may be more relaxed and not as alert. 

@Shan Hey I haven't used this product but it looks cool.  I use a meditation cushion that I got from a store that was in Toronto...I recommend finding a store to buy a cushion from because you can try it out at the store and ask the clerk there to help you choose the right cushion.  I also sit/kneel in that kneeling position you see in the video.  It really helps keep my back straight which is very important.  I find that my knees really hurt in the kneeling position though, especially on retreat when you are meditating for hours every day.  Usually at home the pain is bearable and it even helps me with my meditation.  I am always trying new ways to make the kneeling position as comfortable as possible for me.  

https://torontomindfulnesscommunity.org/resources/posture/the-posture-of-meditation-kneeling-with-a-cushion/

Here you will see tips about kneeling posture.  If you click on "resources" at the top and click on "postures of meditation" you will also find links to sitting on a chair, and lotus posture

I make YouTube videos about Self-Actualization: >> Check it out here <<

@Adam M

Great input. I think from this I am convinced the kneeling posture is better and is worth trying, I am also not interested in the particualar prouduct (costs as an additonal $75 to ship to Australia).

I will try to find a product locally which is similar / cheaper. Thanks :)

@Shan I can tell just from looking at it that that foam pillow thing will be painful for your shins and ass if you plan to sit for longer than 20 minutes. You're gonna need way more padding, or just brave through the pain.

A Seiza bench would work just as well, if not better: http://amzn.to/2sWaliM

Although even a well-padded bench will get very painful after 40 minutes.

@Gabriel Antonio It really is worthwhile to learn proper cross-legged sitting. It's superior to using a chair. It just requires training and flexibility development. Full-lotus isn't necessary. Siddhasana isn't so hard to do and works great with a bit of training.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Afonso It's not ideal. Your spine is probably not too straight and your knees are probably above your legs.

I meditate on my couch too sometimes, but it's not ideal for formal meditation. You can start there, but then you wanna evolve to more strict practices.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.