Loreena

Heavy Periods Iron Deficiency Related To Sour Taste

9 posts in this topic

I get heavy periods. Suffer from iron deficiency. I also get sour taste in mouth frequently. Is the acidic taste linked to iron deficiency. 

My symptoms 

Dark yellow urine 

Sour taste in mouth 

Iron deficiency 

Any info would be appreciated. 

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

Ferrous sulfate - need high potency iron.  Might need to get it from doc until anemia is managed.  Heavy periods can be fixed with birth control pills.

For urine, drink more fluids, for bitter taste, could be from anemia but might be something else.
Def. see doc if you have anemia!

Get well soon!!

Edited by Annetta

Definitely go discuss with your gynaecologist. Iron deficiency is a common result of heavy period. However best to make sure the heavy bleeding is not caused by something else. They would have seen many cases like that and will know what to do best :) It is probably connected with the sour in your mouth.

To get some Iron in a natural way, have a bowl of dark green vegetables every day and look into supplementing Chlorella. ( Sun Chlorella in Kyoto,Japan produces a high quality, highly digestible product.  Nowadays many companies resell their product so very easy to get. ) 

Good luck :)

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Spirulina and more whole RAW plant-based foods ;) Less cooked but yeah try to limit cooking/heating and get into more fresh raw living foods, juice cleanse if you may, you will feel wonderful or if your up for it.. water fasting is said to heal everything but juice fasting is probably much safer and easier for beginners if all the other stuff doesn't work.

B R E A T H E

@Loreena

On 7/3/2017 at 2:03 AM, Loreena said:

I get heavy periods. Suffer from iron deficiency. I also get sour taste in mouth frequently. Is the acidic taste linked to iron deficiency. 

My symptoms 

Dark yellow urine 

Sour taste in mouth 

Iron deficiency 

Any info would be appreciated. 

Hi Loreena,

I used to suffer from really painful and heavy menstrual cycles.  And I also experienced Ovarian Cysts.  After I went on a Raw Vegan diet, the majority of my pain and issues subsided along with my ovarian cysts healing and disappearing.  It took me a few months to relieve the pain and 6 months to heal the ovarian cysts.  Of course if you need to see a doctor, by all means do so.  I was on birth control pills in my early 20's and it brought some relief, but I didn't like the side effects I had.  I had panic attacks, and any time I would go out to a bar and smell cigarette smoke I would pass out on the floor.  But that was what I personally experienced.  I felt like it was just a band aid covering up an open sore that needed true healing.  I also tried the the bio-identical hormone therapy and experienced very minimal relief. The dietary changes were the only thing that worked for me.

I've personally felt that menstrual cycles were about cleansing the body as well as a signal to females that there was something wrong with their diet.   I use it to gage how well I'm eating. I really do notice that the pain and periods are heavier and worse when I really do eat bad.  That's why I've stayed on this diet and made the permanent transition.  Maybe vegan dieting may not be for you, but always cleaning up the diet and eliminating trigger foods/junk foods makes a huge difference in health in general.

Dark Yellow Urine- I'm no doctor by no means, but that usually is a sign of dehydration.  Make sure you are drinking enough water, or drinking fresh smoothies/ juicing, or eating lots of watermelons!

Make sure you are eating whole foods for a start! I actually have the opposite problem in that I have too much iron/high ferritin from hereditary hemochromatosis. Being male, obviously I do not have periods so I have to have therapeutic blood lets- a period out my arm via a 16 gauge needle :P Apparently eggs and dairy are common food sources that inhibits iron absorption, so cut back on eggs/dairy if you consume them. Coffee and tea also supposedly can inhibit iron absorption. I'm not sure where you stand ethically in regards to eating animal products, but if you are showing signs of anemia you should definitely consider consuming some shellfish, muscle or organ meats even if initially to boost your ferritin stores. Obviously bivalve mollusks are a more ethical choice. Beef, liver, mussels, oysters are super high in iron and you should combine that with vitamin C. Oysters with lemon juice for example should really help you out. I eat vegetarian for ethical reasons, but thankfully that also helps me keep my ferritin stores/absorption down.

@Outer Thank you

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

Blood foods work great for getting iron, but it's unfortunately an acquired taste.

blood-and-chocolate-vegan-sanguinaccio-d

@Loreena Are you taking iron supplements? I had an iron deficiency post-partum so I took supplements for a few weeks until my levels were normal again.

Since I have a more active sex life my periods have become less painful and usually aren't heavy anymore. I don't know why but that's what I have experienced.

I would not take birth control pills because of this, their side effects are far worse than anything you might try to fix. Of course everyone reacts different but I suffered from immense mood swings and depression while on the pill so it's a no-go for me and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.