Joseph Maynor

Joseph Maynor's Monthly Personal Development Journal: A Philosopher's Dream

886 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

TOPICS I'M STILL INTERESTED IN LEARNING SOMETHING ABOUT (REVISED)

• World culture in all of its manifestations
  • The History of World Civilizations/ World Civilizations
  • Gödel's Incompleteness Theorems
  • The History of Mathematics/ Philosophy of Mathematics
  • The History of Physics/ Philosophy of Physics
  • DNA, Cellular Biology, Genetics
  • Evolution of the Earth plus the Organisms on the Earth
  • Astronomy, General Relativity
  • Quantum Mechanics
  • World History
  • The History of World Ideas/ World Philosophy
  • The History of World Religion/ World Religions
  • The History of World Mysticism/ World Mysticisms
  • World Travel
  • Psychedelics
  • The History of World Art/ Appreciation of World Art
  • The History of Psychology/ Psychology/ Freud/ Jung
  • Dabbling in Foreign Languages
Edited by Joseph Maynor

Check out freeCodeCamp

https://www.freecodecamp.org/

Posted (edited)

I HATE TO BREAK IT TO YOU BUT PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT IS PHILOSOPHY

So, we've basically reviewed all the relevant Philosophers -- all the Philosophers I've been exposed to anyway.  I've watched every single video and lecture that I have posted in this journal.  Basically, it seems as though I'm talking to you, and I am, but I'm really talking to myself in this Journal.  I'm documenting my growth basically.  So, we've swung through Philosophy.  We've swung through Music, with the exception of Jazz, which we'll be doing now that I'm playing Jazz again.  We can't really swing through Film on here unfortunately -- since lack of films is one of YouTube's weaknesses.  But I would've loved to swing through my favorite films on here too -- it would aid personal development.  Films are powerful growth agents.  I've written several essays, even attempted to codify my personal development theory.  That was an experience in original theory building which I had hitherto never done before!  I've posted what I think are the best of Leo's videos and others that I've found interesting and influential.   I've tried to document my growth.  This past year I have grown enormously.  But there is some sense to which you come right back to that little you that started the path.  The difference is, you're a much wiser little you!  You've gone and kissed the Philosophy God who took your neuroses away.  That's the difference.  You realize the veracity of the old saying -- don't sweat it haha.  It's true!  There's never a reason to worry.  Things are how they must be.  If things are meant to change, they will.  It's that simple.  The Ego does everything it can to smokescreen the simplicity of this. 

One of the things I look forward to doing in the months ahead is to deconstruct my posts in this Journal and try to make sense of the changes in here.  All you gotta do is read my earlier posts and realize I'm a much different dude now both in terms of personality and in ideas than I was nine months ago when I started this journal.  And the way I feel is very different.  I feel very authentic, but without the chip on the shoulder.  And I'm always at peace, or close to it.  Sure, I get anxious and worry from time to time, but I pretty quickly center myself out of it.  Because I am always so relaxed -- I'm highly sensitive to tension in the body.  That's where I notice any problems now first.  I notice the tenseness in the abdomen, etc.  Once I feel that, then I know I gotta nip some Egoic attaching in the bud.  I can fix it in 2 seconds once I notice it.  I can identify the Egoic thinking right then and there.  Remember my definition of Ego -- Ego is the false sense of identification, controlling, doing, and conceptual-knowing between unchanging Awareness and the changing Dream.  This definition is powerful and it works!  I use it all the time.  I created it, so I should use it haha.  I'm proud of it.  That little bit of theory really helps me.  It's also a compact summary of my entire Philosophy regarding Enlightenment.  Basically, my Enlightenment theory is just an elaboration of that definition of Ego.  I didn't plan it out that way, it just developed that way.

Ok.  So, enough introduction and rambling, I wanna talk about Personal Development and Philosophy.  Philosophy is an odd bird largely because what it actually is is not respresented very well by our notions of it.  Philosophy is only a mystery to those who haven’t studied it.  Those people must rely on the ideas that have managed to filter through culture about what Philosophy is.  Imagine that what people though you are was an idea of you filtered down through culture!  How well do you think that idea of you would represent you?  Same goes with Philosophy.  Notice that I’m not saying that Personal Development is applied Philosophy.  That’s tempting too right?  But that adjective ‘applied’ is a prejudice in our thinking rather than a feature of Philosophy itself.  My contention, after recently reviewing the entire History of Philosophy, is that — Personal Development is Philosophy.  It always has been Philosophy and it will always be Philosophy.  If you try to separate the two, you’re only cheating yourself of a deeper understanding of Personal Development.

Philosophy has always been concerned with the two questions: ‘How should I live?’ and ‘What is true?’  Any inquiry into either of those questions is Philosophy.  And here’s the thing — you don’t want to cut yourself off from the cornucopia of things that have been said in response to those two questions.  You wanna know how people have responded to the question ‘How should I live?’  Same goes with the question ‘What is true?’  If you don’t study Philosophy, you’re like a person who lacks vision.  It’s hard to walk without vision.  So — all of us need to be amateur philosophers.  You should be studying Philosophy.  If not, you’re missing out on the real meat of Personal Development.  Whether you realize it or not, you too are a Philosopher.  You need to fully own that and honor it!

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Check out freeCodeCamp

Posted (edited)

THE END OF THIS JOURNAL — PUTTING A FORK IN VOLUME ONE

I’m gonna end this Journal here and start posting in my Journal No. 2 now.  Like I said, I don’t want this Journal to become too long.  Every work of art must come to completion at some point.  The artist who doesn’t know how to close out a work of art causes defects in their work.  Think of a song that has an awkward ending.  That ruins the whole song, right?   Or think about the song that rambles on too long without any good reason!  Right?  Art needs the right kind of segmentation, order, closure.  Remember — all art is a tangible thing that must stand upright on its own feet, like a three-legged stool does.  If the stool is not fashioned right, it doesn’t stand right.  You want art to live on — and for that it has to be capable of being itself, of standing alone — like a painting on a museum wall does.  Without proper boundaries or framing, no painting could exist.  So, segmentation in art is critical.  Art must be broken up in the right way so it can be digestible as a work of art in the first place.  Otherwise it can’t really live on as a work of art.  It’s stillborn in a sense.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Check out freeCodeCamp