Joseph Maynor's Monthly Personal Development Journal: A Philosopher's Dream

886 posts in this topic

BASIC MONTHLY OUTLINE

• Meditation: 1 hour daily
  • Enlightenment/ Self-Transcendence: No rush
  • Morning Routine: Smoothie, Bath
  • Work Routine: Maximize
  • Evening Routine: Decompressing, Socializing
  • Reading: Mostly Advaita Vedanta and Buddhist texts, Neo-Confucianism, Stoics, Skeptics, Sartre, Psychology, Taoism
  • Subtle Addictions: Internet, Phone
  • Contribution/ Life Purpose (My life purpose is to communicate original and useful philosophical principles to the public in audiobook or written format.  I'm 90% done with the content stage of the project (which has taken 8 years) and I am now going to be starting a second stage to summarize, outline, and organize my voluminous content.  I expect this second stage will take at least 5 years.  And then a more heavy drafting and writing third stage will follow presumably taking another 5 years.  So, I estimate this project will take 10 years until completion in 2027; the year I turn 50 years old.):
  • Shadow Work/ Self-Therapy:
  • YouTube videos Watched:
  • Rest & Relaxation: I plan one more trip to Taiwan (Tainan) and 2 trips to India in next 2 years.  I haven't decided where in India yet.  
  • Diet:
  • Exercise:

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Check out freeCodeCamp

https://www.freecodecamp.org/

On 7/2/2017 at 8:33 AM, Joseph Maynor said:

BASIC MONTHLY OUTLINE

• Meditation: 1 hour daily
  • Enlightenment/ Self-Transcendence: No rush
  • Morning Routine: Smoothie, Bath
  • Work Routine: Maximize
  • Evening Routine: Decompressing, Socializing
  • Reading: Mostly Advaita Vedanta and Buddhist texts, Neo-Confucianism, Stoics, Skeptics, Sartre, Psychology, Taoism
  • Subtle Addictions: Internet, Phone
  • Contribution/ Life Purpose (My life purpose is to communicate original and useful philosophical principles to the public in audiobook or written format.  I'm 90% done with the content stage of the project (which has taken 8 years) and I am now going to be starting a second stage to summarize, outline, and organize my voluminous content.  I expect this second stage will take at least 5 years.  And then a more heavy drafting and writing third stage will follow presumably taking another 5 years.  So, I estimate this project will take 10 years until completion in 2027; the year I turn 50 years old.):
  • Shadow Work/ Self-Therapy:
  • YouTube videos Watched:
  • Rest & Relaxation: I plan one more trip to Taiwan (Tainan) and 2 trips to India in next 2 years.  I haven't decided where in India yet.  
  • Diet:
  • Exercise:

This is great. I love Satre

1. Only ONE path is true. Rest is noise
  2. God is beauty, rest is Ugly 

@Joseph Maynor  Heiddegger is fucking amazing.

His perspective on science/art/tool is really great.

If I had more time I'd also dig Nietzsche very deeply because it sounds very promising.

I've decided to give up all reading, philosophizing, and watching YouTube videos until January 2018.  I need to kill the mind and starve it to death literally.  If you want the bears to go away, stop feeding them.  There really is nothing left to discuss.  I will rest the mind and the intellect for 6 months and see what happens.   Let go of need to know.  But at the same time I don't want to be against the mind, which will only cause an egoic backlash.  But I don't need to be indulging like an overweight person feasting on burgers and pizza all the time either.  No good.  Proper balance is key.  Harmony.  Reality is harmony, the Tao.  Don't resist the Tao.  Flow with the Tao by practicing Te.  Te is Li.  Li is right conduct.  Right conduct is release.  I'm gonna focus on taking some massive action and getting my life handled.  That's what I will chronicle here in the months to come.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Check out freeCodeCamp

WHAT'S THE USE OF PHILOSOPHERS AND PHILOSOPHY

1.  Philosophers can give us useful scaffolding to shape our habits for the better.

2.  Philosophers can break us out of dogmas, even enlightened people can be dogmatic.

3.  Philosophers keep the mind from settling into false skepticism instead of true skepticism.

4.  Philosophers are intellectual heavyweights who question everything, are renegades, and who inspire us to aspire to virtue.

5.  Philosophers show us what is possible with the conceptual mind.

6.  Philosophers are like a breath of fresh air for the enlightened person, who likes to have their conceptual mind stirred-up and doesn't want it to settle down.

7.  Philosophers might teach us how to live and think practically, even if the existential questions are off-limits to philosophy.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Check out freeCodeCamp

REPORT FOR JULY 2017

Meditation: 1 hour daily of do nothing meditation.  Missed a few days.  Not good.

Enlightenment/ Self-Transcendence: Done with theory for now.  I have no more perplexities.

Morning Routine: Learned that eating breakfast is so so important.

Work Routine: Got it together end of the month.  Next month should be excellent.  Did some nice life purpose work.

Evening Routine: I have some reading to wrap up, and the I want to ditch reading for a while.

Reading: I want to ditch reading for a while.

Subtle Addictions: Caffeine.  I need to get rid of it.

Contribution/ Life Purpose: I didn't do any work on my Philosophy book.   

Shadow Work/ Self-Therapy:  None needed.

YouTube videos Watched:  Almost all of Leo's videos.  

Rest & Relaxation:  Las Vegas in August.  

Diet: I need to get my breakfast implemented next month.

Exercise: I need to get my morning exercise routine implemented next month.

Karma: I did a lot of contribution this month, so I am happy.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Check out freeCodeCamp

My 6 Month Fast From Conceptual Life: A Trip

No reading
No audiobooks
No discussing personal development
No discussing enlightenment
No philosophizing
No judgments
No theorizing
No shadow work
No self-therapy
No arguing
Practicing the principle of not-knowing

This is what I'm doing from August 2017 (next month) through January 2018, 6 months.  I think this is the ride I need to go on.   I'll do it just to see what happens.  This is gonna be a trip because I've always been such a conceptual dude.  Not reading for me feels really weird after a week or so.  I'll still keep up to date with all of you through my self-actualization journal during that time.  But I feel like if I don't take a deep-dive and do this, I'll never really find out about this stuff fully.  I don't think you can half-ass this stuff.  Our world is too conceptual -- we live it and breathe it all the time.   It's like pretending you got off the junk-food but you're still eating bagels all the time thinking you're much healthier now. 

Check out freeCodeCamp

PHILOSOPHY AS A PRACTICAL NEED

Existentially speaking good, bad, true, and false are arbitrary, but there is also the practical, trivial level where there are values, principles, and truth (with a lower-case 't').  You should become your authentic higher-self.  This should not come from rules but your awareness of what a high-consciousness being does.  Once you realize life is just a game, how do you decide to play the game the best?  And Karma still applies.  The law of consequence still applies.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Check out freeCodeCamp

On 18/07/2017 at 8:00 PM, Joseph Maynor said:

I've decided to give up all reading, philosophizing, and watching YouTube videos until January 2018.  I need to kill the mind and starve it to death literally.  If you want the bears to go away, stop feeding them.  There really is nothing left to discuss.  I will rest the mind and the intellect for 6 months and see what happens.   Let go of need to know.  But at the same time I don't want to be against the mind, which will only cause an egoic backlash.  But I don't need to be indulging like an overweight person feasting on burgers and pizza all the time either.  No good.  Proper balance is key.  Harmony.  Reality is harmony, the Tao.  Don't resist the Tao.  Flow with the Tao by practicing Te.  Te is Li.  Li is right conduct.  Right conduct is release.  I'm gonna focus on taking some massive action and getting my life handled.  That's what I will chronicle here in the months to come.

I feel like I'm in the same position as you are in a way that I have an obsession to read and research everything and of course conceptualizing the read knowledge at the same time. This eventually leads to believing many things but experiencing none. Knowledge is just so damn addictive. Lately, I've been wondering how true insights occur. Do they occur because you have a lot of conceptual information stored in the background, and when you back off from the information feed for a while, the conceptual information that you have stored kind of sorts itself out in the background giving you a sudden insight about something. Or is it that true insights occur only when you are free from all conceptual information and the insight sort of pops out to existence without the need for prior knowledge...

I decided a fast from conceptual life is stupid.  My view of enlightenment has changed.  It has seeped into my larger personal philosophical perspective now.  The key is not to be afraid of thoughts, it is to understand what they are so well that you don't get hung-up on these silly issues anymore and you can drop clinging to need to know.  Paradoxically, you gotta know really well in order to give up need to know.  This is the importance of Philosophy.  If you don't have the right scaffolding regarding conceptual knowing, you're gonna be hung-up on need to know, and this will stunt your life and stunt your dreams.  With the right perspective, need to know appears as a silly trap.  But that doesn't mean that you regress into some kind of anti-intellectual stupidity and stick your head in the sand either.  You just see things for what they are and avoid all the key traps as you dynamically-balance in your specific moments.  The only difference between you and someone wiser than you is they see your traps and you don't.  Knowledge is not bad, it's how you cling to and interpret it that may or may not be bad in a specific situation.  You gotta have the right idea and/or action at the right time or you will get stuck.  This is the importance of the philosopher and of Philosophy.  Go out there and get all the ideas you want, then learn how to cling to them properly and interpret them properly in specific situations.  That's what a philosopher helps the world with, and only because he has accomplished this for himself.  The philosopher does nothing other than share his or her perspective in the hope that you will examine your own perspective in maybe a different way than you have before, and maybe an advance might be had for everyone in this process.  All ships rise with a rising tide.  That's my dream, to participate in this process by releasing my philosophical ideas into the public discourse.  And this is why I need to be working on my Philosophy Book (the final result might be an audiobook I haven't decided yet) every single day.  This stuff doesn't happen without massive work, and I gotta rise to that level of daily performance to meet that burden every day.  My love for Philosophy needs to manifest and be shared with the world.  That would make me so satisfied to take this thing that has given me so much in my life, Philosophy, and share that with the world.  To pour new life into old wine-skins.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Check out freeCodeCamp

Just in case you haven't noticed.

I've been on this forum for like 40 days, and you have posted almost one thousand topics/posts.

I am maybe pointing that out for the wrong reasons but either way you have an extremely over active mind which is really all over the place.

Thinking so much is clearly an addiction and I think it would help you a lot to let go of it.

As for a impressive super computer you do not need to run all the processors because they use up all of power and you're always gonna feel drained if you do so.

I'm unsure whether "calling you out" on this is clever but I mean you never know until you try and it might help you.

THE PRAGMATIC HOLY GRAIL OF PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT

The Pragmatic Holy Grail of Personal Development is where your inner-obstacles (limiting-beliefs, fears, distractions, addictions, unsavvy attaching) don’t limit, stunt, or handicap your actions.  The first step is believing that it can be done.  Do you?  Everything and anything is possible.  Big Vision, Commitment, Real Goals, Plan/Strategy, Execution, Life Purpose, Emotional Mastery, Dislodging Limiting-Beliefs, Quitting Not in Vocabulary, Results, Real Learning, Optimization.  What is the most compelling vision of my future self that I can see?  Write it down.  You gotta write it down or it doesn't work.  The Biggest Problem In Your Life: You are always holding yourself back.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Check out freeCodeCamp

NEW CHANGE IN PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT PRIORITIES FOR ME

I need to systematically target these Inner-Obstacles and will zero-in on these with Real Goals soon.  This is getting bumped-up to highest-priority in my personal development work.

The Five Threshold-Guardians:

• Limiting-beliefs
  • Fears
  • Distractions
  • Addictions
  • Unsavvy Attaching

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Check out freeCodeCamp

The Valiant Warrior Sword:

I see where all the traps are now.  All I gotta do now is always do the action that avoids them.  This can only be practiced by action.  I need to work on falling in love with using this sword.  That is something that I can control.  This tool is synonymous with the Principle of Right Action.

The Hero’s Noble Sacrifice:

That emotional-labor and suffering that the Hero endures in service of obtaining the Hero’s Bounty.

Relevant video on point:

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Check out freeCodeCamp

I FINISHED MY PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT MISSION STATEMENT BINDER TITLED: MY HERO'S JOURNEY BINDER: THE PHILOSOPHER'S DREAM

The Five Threshold Guardians: 

• Limiting-beliefs
  • Fears
  • Distractions
  • Addictions
  • Unsavvy Attaching

==> My Hero's Journey <==

So, the Valiant Warrior uses the Valiant Warrior Sword to fight and defeat the Five Threshold Guardians.  And the Holy Grail is where the the Five Threshold Guardians (Inner-Obstacles) no longer limit, stunt, or handicap my actions because I killed them all off.

(Now that I have mythologized this I can use it as a tool and apply it.) 

//

I just re-did my personal mission statement binder.  Here's how I laid it out.  It is freakin' cool how I did it.  It came out great.  I wish I could show you the entire binder but I can't, just the outline of the chapter headings.  Obviously I got it filled-up with all kinds of content.  I'll read it every morning.  It scans quickly because I deliberately drafted the content in an easy-to-read, outline format.  What a labor of love for me.  My entire dream is in this binder, outlined in a beautiful way.  I'm so excited to go on this journey friends!  My wonderful growth friends on here!

Here's the outline of my new work:

My Hero’s Journey Binder: The Philosopher’s Dream 

A.  The Theory:

1.  The Call for A Hero 

B.  The Tool:

2.  The Valiant Warrior Sword

C.  The Problem:

3.  The Five Threshold Guardians

D. The Plan:

4.  Personal Development Plan

E. The Action:

F.  The Purpose:

5.  Life Purpose/ Mission

G.  The Self-Help Work:

6.  Big Vision for the Future

7.  Emotional Mastery/ Growth

8.  Perseverance

H. The Payoff:

9.  The Hero's Bounty

Videos on point to watch: (Leo should do a more updated video on how to do a mission statement binder like I describe above.)

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Check out freeCodeCamp

KEY PILLARS OF PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT

• Big Vision
  • Commitment
  • Real Goals
  • Plan/Strategy
  • Execution
  • Life Purpose
  • Enlightenment
  • Emotional Mastery
  • Dislodging Limiting-Beliefs
  • Ignoring Fears
  • Ditching Distractions and Addictions
  • Quitting Not in Vocabulary
  • Results
  • Real Learning
  • Optimization

Video on point to watch:

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Check out freeCodeCamp

NICE OBSERVATION ABOUT ENLIGHTENMENT I DETERMINED IN MY LIFE

Love, creativity, peace, lightness, and openness flow naturally from enlightenment.

Video to watch on point:

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Check out freeCodeCamp