Shan

10 Stages Of Meditation.

32 posts in this topic

@WaterfallMachine

Thanks! Thats great information I'm gonna try to add this into whatever this is haha :P Check back for the final result, or I'm sure it will be posted :D

All help is greatly appreciated!!! 

@AleksM

What you said it'sfascinating I am going to do this. I feel I already maintain a meditative state for much of the day when I want to. But I do frolic with my mind on all kinds of research adventures. It's hard to stop letting my mind wander for this reason I guess. I will try what you said sometimes :) thank you ? 

@Tightrope Walker and everyone trying to get started wth meditation : Stage 1 is possibly the hardest of them all which is setting up a practice and turning up every day. When I started 4 years back I used to get angry and depressed just after 3 minutes of meditation. This happens as we are not trained to observe a thought as it is but get attached to it which stirs a lot of emotions. Also as it is the first time in years we observe the subconscious it just spews a lot of thoughts at us . 

The best work around for this is the "Do nothing" technique preached by Gura. He speaks abut observing the gorilla and the very wicked thoughts you encounter in your first few attempts. Start here and slowly move to actual meditation and that should work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4yipKfO8nA

Edited by Shan

@Shan Amazing post, thanks for sharing!

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

@Shan a very helpful share! Thank you??

I think, I'm at the beginning of state 4

??

This thread is a little bit old, but nonetheless very worthy of getting more attention.

Hooray to @Shan for this masterpiece! :)

Breathing in, I calm my body.

Breathing out, I smile.

I read the whole book and I think I should remind you that this is 10  stages of Samatha, and Samatha is not non-dual state. Don't confuse those two things. Author states that Samatha is the perfect tool for achieving enlightenment, not enlightenment by itself.

The model presented in the book is amazing as fuck for understanding how your mind works.

Wow this was a really interesting read...

@Jack River what are your thoughts on this dude? You frequently mention that intention only feeds thought and therefore psychological time which leads you to claim intention should be dropped. This outline makes a strong case that intention should be sustained in the beginning though. Thoughts? 

The Mind Illuminated is the best meditation book I've read so far, and I don't know how any book could go into more detail of what to expect in the process and how to advance continually. 

10 hours ago, Consilience said:

Wow this was a really interesting read...

@Jack River what are your thoughts on this dude? You frequently mention that intention only feeds thought and therefore psychological time which leads you to claim intention should be dropped. This outline makes a strong case that intention should be sustained in the beginning though. Thoughts? 

The mind thinks it can progressively end itself. The thinker thinks it can continually advance towards the ending of itself. That’s the pattern mind works in. Insight into the whole of that pattern ends that pattern. The ending of time is freedom. 

Is it necessary to walk the road of intention? Well, the thing is we do anyway. Whether or not we see the falsity in doin so, if it’s neccessary, depends on the person. Looking for a way out is a conditioned movement of thought and sustains self. Staying with the problem without trying or escape, well that allows for this huge insight that stops all that self movement in its tracks. 

Edited by Jack River

If I have 2 or 3 days where I sit at least a few hours a day, I typically move to somewhere between stage 7 to stage 8 on this scale (and have reached stage 9 occasionally), but it's just something that unfolds naturally and not me following certain instructions. But, if I don't at least maintain a somewhat strong practice afterward, say sitting for 2 hours a day, I will usually just degrade in the quality of my meditation down to one of these lower stages. Is that because I didn't build up some foundation by forcing myself to remain in lower stages for more time, or because I might need more sustained, long sittings over a course of weeks/months instead of just a couple days? It's easiest to sit for long periods on the weekend/my days off, and that's why I haven't been able to easily sustain that time intensive level of practice.

Edited by Elysian