Vinsanity

Yoga Teachers To Recommend?

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys!

I was reading Leo's blog about yoga and it caught my interest. Like he said, its important to find a good teacher and not just one that teaches yoga for its physical benefits. Have any suggestions (websites, youtube channels, etc) ? 

Thanks!

Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa is my Kundalini yoga teacher. Her classes are highly effective :)

She has online videos, but I got her DVD, so I am unsure which particular video to reccomend. 

''Firmness in Love" 

5 hours ago, Vinsanity said:

Like he said, its important to find a good teacher and not just one that teaches yoga for its physical benefits. Have any suggestions (websites, youtube channels, etc) ? 

I can suggest teachers who teach yoga for its physical benefits, I think teachers who teach yoga for psychic powers or Samadhi are not available on internet. 

Light on Yoga is widely called the bible of yoga and has served as the source book for generations of yoga students around the world. It is the classic text for all serious students of yoga.

http://yogabog.com/sites/default/files/files/Iyengar_B_K_S__The_Illustrated_Light_On_Yoga.pdf

@Vinsanity

Sadhguru's isha yoga foundation is a good place to learn yoga. I think their primary focus of teaching yoga is for enlightenment and physical benefits are secondary.They have also have a center at USA apart from their center at Coimbatore, India. Google about it for more info. 

This is sadhguru's youtube channel : https://www.youtube.com/user/sadhguru/

Watch a few videos to get a better idea about his methodology.

They also have a website (I'm not able to give the link as it says the site is temporarily down. So google it).

They don't provide a lot of yoga tools in youtube. I think its because they want to impart correct yoga and that they think can only be possible to be provided when you can interact with them and they can with you. But still there are a few tools available in youtube which you can either go through using their website or through their youtube channel (It will be hard for you to search for those videos through their youtube channel as there are a lot of videos there, so I recommend to use their website). Also there is a free basic meditation that they teach online called isha kriya (www.ishafoundation.org/Ishakriya).

They also have a blog : isha.sadhguru.org/blog/

Mostly they teach yoga only through their yoga programs. In India they conduct these programs in many cities, I don't know about USA so check it through their website. Go through their website to know more about the different systems in yoga that they teach. Most people attend a introductory program called Inner engineering. There also specific yoga systems they teach for specific needs like for building physical strength and endurance they have angamardana, for just daily exercise type of yoga for physiological benefits they have upa yoga, for spirituality they have surya kriya, etc. Once you complete some basic programs you can attend advanced programs. Some people who want to fully give themselves to this path become full time volunteers at isha (isha is a fully volunteer run organization). There is also an option for part time volunteering.

@Seeker_of_truth @Dizzy Thanks I will definitely check them out!

@Prabhaker Ah I see. In that case, would you mind listing a few teachers who teach for the physical benefits? I am just hoping to get a good start on yoga because I have never done it before. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Vinsanity said:

In that case, would you mind listing a few teachers who teach for the physical benefits?

Shilpa Shetty (born 8 June 1975), also known by her married name Shilpa Shetty Kundra, is an Indian film actress, businesswoman, producer, former model and the winner of the British reality television series Celebrity Big Brother 5. Her yoga videos on Youtube are of excellent quality.

https://www.youtube.com/user/shilpayoga/videos

Baba Ramdev is most reputed and famous yoga teacher in India. His Youtube video 's are available in English also.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ramdev+english