Joseph Maynor

Can You Come Up With A New Thing To Add Into Your Routine That Would Bear Good Fruit

20 posts in this topic

Something you don't have now.  Strain your mind to find one.  Come on, do it!  I'll do this too.

I think for me it would be to add in some kind of cardio practice.  I walk a lot but don't get a lot of cardio at all.  But I don't know how to do this without burning up a bunch of time in my day.  Going to the gym burns up too much time for me.  And sitting there and just riding one of those stationary machines just sucks.  I hate that approach to getting cardio.  It's boring as hell.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

1 hour ago, Joseph Maynor said:

Something you don't have now.  Strain your mind to find one.  Come on, do it!  I'll do this too.

I suck at writing, but people keep telling me I need to write. So I've been thinking about starting to practice and see what comes out of it.

How would you practice like on a 1 hour daily block let's say.  What would your hour entail doing?  How does one improve their writing?  Have you ever looked into that issue?

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Try out the following sequence. It is super effective. 

The 5 tibetans. Breath of fire or wim hofs beathing technique. Mine works pretty well a well but do not feel like describing it atm. It is on my channel. The vid is called the breath is sacred or something. Followed by a good 20-30 minutes of meditation.

35 minutes ago, Paintballer said:

Try out the following sequence. It is super effective. 

The 5 tibetans. Breath of fire or wim hofs beathing technique. Mine works pretty well a well but do not feel like describing it atm. It is on my channel. The vid is called the breath is sacred or something. Followed by a good 20-30 minutes of meditation.

What is your channel?  

@Joseph Maynor I am naturally a number person, I work in accounting and love it. When I was growing up, however, I wrote poems and short stories and was even published twice in a local periodical in my country. So I already have a bit of experience from a long time ago.

I jot down all the time (I have sticky notes written all over them in my top work drawer). My issue is putting all this random stuff in organized context to make it presentable for reading. Another thing that holds me back is English being my second language, it's not perfect. Ayla tells me not to overthink stuff and to just let it flow. As they say, practice make it perfect.

30 mins - 1 hr daily blocks would probably be a good start. I do have time in early mornings and in the evenings. The muse will catch up eventually, I hope 9_9    

If I worked on my art more often.  Daily maybe.

4 hours ago, Natasha said:

@Joseph Maynor I am naturally a number person, I work in accounting and love it. When I was growing up, however, I wrote poems and short stories and was even published twice in a local periodical in my country. So I already have a bit of experience from a long time ago.

I jot down all the time (I have sticky notes written all over them in my top work drawer). My issue is putting all this random stuff in organized context to make it presentable for reading. Another thing that holds me back is English being my second language, it's not perfect. Ayla tells me not to overthink stuff and to just let it flow. As they say, practice make it perfect.

30 mins - 1 hr daily blocks would probably be a good start. I do have time in early mornings and in the evenings. The muse will catch up eventually, I hope 9_9    

Here's my quick advice to you.  Two easy pieces of advice:

1.  Get a grip on how punctuation is used.  Skim, don't read, like 5 different sources on punctuation theory.  Make your own table of rules as you skim in like a Word document.  Learn these rules cold, but break the rules when it looks right.  You gotta develop an aesthetic judgment about how you like to use punctuation.  This becomes an integral part of your writing style.  But learn the rules first.  And then break the rules when beauty, style, or clarity dictate.  The importance of this can't be underemphasized.

2.  Find a writer that you really love and resonate with and learn from them.  For me that is attorney Gerry Spence.  A lot of my rhetorical turns of phrase and approach comes from his style.  I fell in love with it.  Gerry Spence and I are brothas from another mutha when it comes to our style of thinking and writing.  So I have assimilated him -- not copied him.  There's a difference there I'm sure you understand.  But that's how you find your voice, that's how you find your style as a writer.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Annetta Please elaborate fully.  Spill the beans for me!  Then we can look and see what we got.

Spiling beans...

I came across this tool last week, and got really excited... I’m going to test it on a learning goal.

It is a bracelet with beads, in many ways similar to prayer beads, but a bit different. Its composed of three kind of beads. The blue one is Lapis Lazuli (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lapis_lazuli) and the other ones are rose quartz in two different sizes.  It’s not really about the beads, I guess, as much as about the method... I can think of it as conditioning  for success (subconscious self, I guess).

The beads are there (I think) to give you two things – practical meditation exercises and a physical reminder of the goals.

Exercises are composed of three parts – visualisations, faith and affirmations

Before getting into exercises, some things need to be set first.

The Basics:

1.       Set  The Goal – for example, to win a gold medal in a swimming competition (my goal will be to master a computer science field – for testing purposes – then I’ll go smashing other goals if it works – but I know it will work )

2.       Set visualisation – i.e. you are a champion, then you visualise your ability that you can swim super fast, feel that your body is capable etc... you visualise the medal around your neck, fans cheering, your family proud and in tears...(my test goal will be in coding... so I’ll be visualising myself knowing all the code libraries and lots of routines that i can come up with in a snap)  

3.       Set  faith – here you set the faith mode, you need to set a mantra-like sentence that will influence you to ‘let go and be in a faith mode’ – I made mine to be ‘I have faith in the Truth’. Those who are truly religious can turn on their faith mode, for example Christians could express their faith in Jesus.  

4.       Set affirmation – this is where you want to have a positive thought about yourself . You want to send yourself a positive signal that will create positive feeling about yourself. My mantra for this is ‘I get better every moment’ .

The Exercise:

·         So once you have it all ready, you start off by holding the blue bead between thumb and index finger. You go through the visualising. You stay on it for a bit. It takes me at least 30 seconds to get my visualisations in place.

·         Then you move your fingers onto faith stone, and repeat the faith ‘mantra’, while at the same time you try to ‘let go’ – similar feeling to the letting go mediation Leo presented a few months ago

·         After the faith stone, you go onto affirmation stones with the positive signal mantra. There are five of these in a row. You keep going until you reach the faith stone, which is the smaller one and you can feel it when your reach it, so you can meditate with eyes closed easily.

You go round the whole bracelet 5 times per exercise (the instructions say 10 but I think 5 is enough). So the whole exercise first took me 15 minutes the first time... and now after several days it goes much faster.

It’s supposed to be used as a daily practice. I’m going to add it to my meditation. Every time after mediation l'll use this for my goals (YES!!!)

32 minutes ago, Nahm said:

@Joseph Maynor elliptical and an iPad, no reason you can't actualize while you exercise

I love you Nahm.  I'm actually gonna add in another module that is more efficient.  I live in San Francisco.  There are hills all around me.  I walk to work.  So I can simply re-jigger my routes to go up and down these damn hills in a manner that minimizes time and maximizes working out.  So, I think that's that's the sustainable solution, at least for right now.  Beats going to the damn gym.  The gym is a good place to start.  But the problem with the gym is that it takes a lot of time out of your day.  I think I'm gonna add this new module in maybe 30 days from now into my routine.  

Edited by Joseph Maynor

@Joseph Maynor I try to make my gym routine consistent yet fun - 20 mins cardio, 30 mins muscle toning, 10 mins stretches. Then the best part - sauna 10-15 mins in 180 F dry heat. Twice a week helps keep in decent shape. 

Edited by Natasha