nexusoflife

Between School And Work I Have No Days Off. Any Advice For How I Can Get Out Of This?

13 posts in this topic

I need help some help. During my second year of college I had almost no days off between my responsibilities at school and going to work. The only times that I have been able to get a day to rest are when someone can fill in for me at work. This has only occurred about once each month. On top of my very busy schedule I have been dealing with severe depression for roughly a year. Due to my depression and the amount of stress I have been subject to, I have no friends and I spend almost all of my time outside of school and work in my room. The stress between work and school is definitely taking a toll on my psychological health and because of it I now have to see a psychologist. To be honest I don’t truly want to be in college, however I enrolled and stay because of family pressure. I get good grades but I truly don’t think it’s worth it. I would rather be happy in life than have a high GPA. The classes I am taking are irrelevant to my major and I learn much more about the subjects I am passionate about when I take my own time to learn them. School only adds to my depression because I feel that it is a waste of my time. Each time I enter my classes I can feel my soul being crushed. Don’t get me wrong, education is extremely important, I learn as much as I can in my limited free time, however the schooling system is just so broken and I simply want to be free from it and live my life. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get out of this and improve my life?

@nexusoflife Even if its for 10 minutes, its okay.Build a daily meditation habit. It will help...As for your situation i am really sorry but i don't know what to suggest since i myself am only 17 and only going to college.

@harisankartj Thanks. I have actually been meditating almost every day for the past three years. I actually started when I was 17! Check out this earlier post about a unitive experience that I had. You may find it interesting.

@Siim Land I am currently in college for environmental science and I am actually very interested in the subject. However the current structure of college and the american education system in general is causing me so much stress and I feel like I am going against myself each time I am going to class. I also have other things that I am deeply interested in as well and it is difficult for me to find a way to peruse what I really care about and go to college at the same time. In all honesty I would rather do what I am passionate about than waste time and money doing something that I don't really have a strong interest for.  I really want to spend my time learning more about things such as, meditation, spirituality, enlightenment, psychedelics, integral theory, self-development, veganism, sustainability, ecology, futurism, health,  post scarcity economics, self-governance and space exploration. Yet I  feel that our education system constrains individuals into one area and focuses on hyper-specialization instead of allowing individuals to grow and learn naturally according to their skills, strengths and interests.

@harisankartj Indeed it was. This is what I want to architect my entire life around. I feel that knowing the unity of existence is the most powerful thing that a human can experience and instead of going the average route that most people travel on I want to take a radically different direction in my life in which I can spend more time cultivating and learning more about meditation, spirituality, enlightenment, psychedelics, integral theory, self-development, veganism, sustainability, ecology, futurism, health, post scarcity economics, self-governance and space exploration (both outer and inner). 

Hey, 

maybe you can look for another job that is less intensive, or work less? In my opinion you don't need much money for growth or to make a living. Try to save your money and don't spend it on things u don't need 'if this is the case'.

Goodluck! :) 

@nexusoflife I feel you. I have so much to do between college and work. and it's so frustrating because the way universities are structured undoubtedly clash with enlightenment work. It's not studying and understanding for the sake of studying and understanding, but it's a lot of memorizing stuff just to pass some idiotic exam where they ask details you're never going to need at work. 

It's hard to find time for spirituality and for 'just being'. It's a constant struggle. I have phases where I pretty much slack off in college and read a lot about enlightenment, spirituality, nutrition (I am also very interested in veganism), psychedelics and work on my meditation and self inquiry. then I have phases (like now) where I have so much to study that I only manage a quick meditation session in terms of personal development. I guess the key is to never give up. just go ahead, even if you have some days where you can't really work on yourself. never forget about enlightenment and dive deep into inner work whenever you can. 

Edited by phoenix666

whatever arises, love that

My boyfriend spends a lot of time at school too. One thing that really helps him is working at a job where he just sits there and has time to study while at work. It is very difficult going through college especially when you find yourself taking classes that are not relevant to what you will be doing. I dont know your full situation, but I do know that if you choose a good field and stick it through things can turn out pretty good. This is a big judgement call, trying to be someone leading the future for revolutionizing the world takes education because society is full of a bunch of critics and they scream about qualifications every chance they get. If you want to get into that field you may have to stick it through. That will take some research.

If you are looking for inspiration, try networking around find people doing what you want to do. Maybe that will give you a goal to aim for to help keep your mind focused. 

If you are working an exhausting job though try to find a job where you can just sit around. Security job, a night job doing desk clerk. Working and going to school is tough. 

In the end the decision is yours. Maybe change fields? The computer tech field is always growing. Easy to get into and you could always do that initially and slowly move into a field you will enjoy more as time goes on. Like starting a business with something you are passionate about. The field is wide open. Just make sure to weigh the options logically because making decisions based on depression or anxiety can cause regrets.  

@nexusoflife Society does not seem to have developed itself to notice the importance of the topics (which you mentioned ) on a grand scale.Though not as deep as yours, i too have had some experiences of unity of being and it was just beautiful.You are right, Every human should be working towards living in this unity.

@nexusoflife Why don't you quit your job? Or atleast try to work part-time?

"Find what you love and let it kill you." - Charles Bukowski

@nexusoflife I think you need some WHY in your days. Why are you going to college/ Why are you working? Why are you doing / seeking development? 

Perhaps if some of your perspective was along the lines of the reasons you're working and going to school are to secure some financial foundation for your future that might contribute to more inspired days vs depressed ones you might be in the light again. :)  It's all relative. You could be a lazy do nothing bum, but instead you're doing a lot with your life. It does add up and amount to something. Your current perspective seems relative to some perfect scenario. Careful what you place your perspective against. Can you get away for a few days to allow a bigger perspective to come back? That always helps me. 

MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE