Mondsee

Wonder Woman Doesn't Really Follow The Hero's Journey, Does She?

2 posts in this topic

So, last week I saw the movie and I loved it, but it got me thinking... She doesn't really follow "The Hero's Journey", does she?

Like she seems to be super excited to go and fight, and you sense no feeling of reluctancy and doubt...

What do you think? :)

"Es gibt die Wahrheit, mein Lieber! Aber die ,Lehre', die du begehrst [...], die gibt es nicht. Du sollst dich auch gar nicht nach einer vollkommenen Lehre sehnen, Freund, sondern nach Vervollkommnung deiner selbst."

- Herman Hesse, Das Glasperlenspiel

< SPOILER ALERT> 

Well in a sense she does. It is not the traditional one like LOTR of Star Wars and the structure is mixed up. 

There is the call for adventure when the Pilot comes and she decides to go with him despite all odds ( her mother, the unknown world..). The pilot is not the traditional messenger because it was her decision but you see the point. 

Her mentor dies, when the Amazon general gets shot in the beginning. 

She faces the threshold guardian ( probably the evil Nazi general or the trench battle) 

But than she nearly quits when seeing the villagers she freed all dead from the poison shell. 

eventually she decents into the belly of the beast ( the nazi camp) and fights the ultimate Boss ,Ares but in the end realises there is a much bigger goal and that is for her to protect the humanity hence she remains in the world of men and fights "the evil". 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus