Moreira

Gurus With The Acceptance/do Nothing Discourse

4 posts in this topic

I'm actually reading the book "Out of the trap" by Alan watts, and basically he describes the occidental point of viewing life as a victim, ruled by God, like a trap.

What he suggest is a paradigm shift of accepting the flow of life, understanding that we are eveything (samathi), that lead to the conclusion there's no trap, the trap is part of me, acceptance...

the danger I see in all the hippie woo-woo way of living cutting resistance and practicing acceptance is that we can become lazy. Why work? Why self actualize?

What do you think?

I've also read rumours that A.watts was a CIA agent, so maybe he was spreading this passive attitude of acceptance non-resistance to the people become more submissive and so easily governable.

5 minutes ago, Moreira said:

the danger I see in all the hippie woo-woo way of living cutting resistance and practicing acceptance is that we can become lazy. Why work? Why self actualize?

Because otherwise that is the surest you that you will become a zen devil. 

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

@Moreira @Clint Eastwood After reading some of his books and listening to a lot of his lectures I really do think that he is the genuine article. It's really hard to believe that he has gone as deep as he had into eastern philosophy and combined it with notions of modern metaphysics, science, epistemology etc. just to control some sheep. 

His teaching on non-resistance are a very miniscule part of what he preached.

Edited by Dan Arnautu

”Unaccompanied by positive action, rest may only depress you.” -- George Leonard

Personally, I find that kind of discourse from so-called gurus to be offensive to my sense of balance and reality.

Resistance is just as much a part of life as acceptance. A person is incomplete and incapable if they ignore one over the other in either case.

If you have an immune system your body practices resistance. If you have a system for internalization, your body practices acceptance.

I think it's safe to say nearly or possibly every single thing in existence practices both, or at the very least every complex system does.

-Attraction, acceptance, trust, internalization

-Repulsion, resistance, doubt, rejection

Both sides are necessary to life. And both sides over-lap and feed into each other.

You ever wonder why people on here, do the whole non-acceptance thing, get blissed out, and then a month later come back complaining that they have no motivation for anything?

It's because motivation involves and requires a quality of pressure, whether positive or negative. And pressure requires resistance and tension, whether positive or negative. You ever play video games with god mode on? I bet once the novelty fades you don't find it as fun or stimulating as it was when you played without it. Why? Because there is no more resistance, no risk, you're invulnerable. Which makes the struggle lose meaning, as you are no longer stretching your capacities or testing yourself to survive. 

Or to look at it another way. Do you know how boring it would be to deadlift 135lbs every workout after lifting 535 lbs? It's so easy it means nothing. It's just warm-up weight and isn't going to do anything for growth. There is no stretching of our capacities, no new territory outside of our comfort zone with that kind of weight. 

Edited by Salaam