Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joseph Maynor

What Are Some Tips To End Addiction To Emotional Sadness Or Suffering

5 posts in this topic

I realize I have this addiction.  My childhood was problematic and I kind of habituated to being sad to the point where it was all I knew and I was comfortable being sad.  Happiness and cheer is change for me, and thus outside of my comfort-zone.  My homeostatic force likes to pull me back to sadness.  I've made progress here, but just curious about what your thoughts are.

Edited by Joseph Maynor

Sad and depression is related to the past. It no longer exists, it's just a memory. 

It is pointless to wish it to go away for it is in your memory. So the best tip to end it (from my point of view) is to accept it.

Once you accept your past, it will no longer have a reason for you to hold onto it.

This does not mean you will never remember your past, but simply it will no longer be an issue for you.

I think that acceptance is the key. There's nothing wrong with being sad or suffering. If I remember correctly, in one of his videos (I think it was the loneliness video?) Leo talks about being melancholic and really enjoying it by listening to sad music and stuff. At this point in your journey I recommend radical acceptance. I also have lots of melancholic tendencies (comes with being philosophical and too curious about the world) and I try to enjoy them.

When you enjoy your sadness as a beautiful part of life, it is easier to enjoy the happiness as well. Whereas if you resist the sadness and think of it as "wrong", it persists.

Edited by Pallero
word order

When I have an addiction I ask myself this simple question: does this addiction is going to bring me any further in live? When the answer is no I am programmed to feel less desire for it. But this works for me not sure if it works for you the same way. It can maybe keep you motivated from seeing the positive and being blind for the negative.